Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Trumpetus

El Diablo White IPA

Just tasted my El Diablo White IPA. Wow! Best I have done in my short brewing career. A bit darker than I expected, but the taste is awesome. Lots of body and mouthfeel, nice spicy hoppiness at the end. The spice bag broke while "gently" crushing the bag, so I just tossed the spices in commando and left them there.

Quickly realized this will not last long so I ordered another.

From the length of the White IPA thread, looks like many are getting good results from this.

Mine has not been good as of yet. Tasted good at bottling. But after a month condishining the beer has a sweet taste to it so I'm sitting on it for another month.

Had that happen to a Baby Got Bock batch. Thought that since it needed to be a lager temps I needed to have it carb at the same temp. Was very sweet with little carbonation. Moved the bottles to a warmer temp and they seem to be firming up (using plastic bottles).

Anyone drinking or sample this one yet? I have one Spring Seasonal left, I am going to use Magnum, Perle, Centennial and Chinook and see if I can get this close to a Stone Brew Cali-Belgique...

I made it with 1oz of Nelson Sauvon 1/2 as a late addition and 1/2 as a hob stand. It has very intense hop flavor, but Nelson is pretty intense, most places warn you to be careful with them. EDIT: It tastes like I took Anchor Humming and mixed it with Fantome Blanche.

I took a hydro reading of mine after 20 days -- 1.020.  OG was 1.073.  I had been fermenting at a temp around 64F.  Kept it in the fermentor for another week at 74F and got a FG reading of 1.016.  The hydro sample tasted good, nice fruit & spice flavors from my own coriander, lemon & orange peel blend.  Didn't pick up a lot of hop bitterness.

Cold crashed my LBK today. Looking forward to tasting this in a month.

Finally tasted my El Diablo Blanco.  Much better hop bitterness and flavor than the plain Spring Seasonal.  Still somewhat sweet.  I did a side by side tasting with Saranac's White IPA which was noticeably hoppier in flavor & aroma and drier in the finish.

I might do this again using the Danstar Belle Saison yeast or some other strain instead of the T-58 to see if I could get a drier finish.  I would also dry hop with more Falconer's Flight or Citra after the first 7-10 days of fermentation are complete to get more hop aromas into the beer.

I just made a batch of my Belle Of The Ball and with the Blanco still in the cellar did a side by side.  I do agree that Bella Saison would indeed work well with that and get rid of some of the sweetness that many are not super fond of.  The big trick is working up the temperature profile to get what you are looking for.

Made this straight up according to MrB instructions, bottled 9/1 and just put my first one into the fridge.  Followed all of the old posts and decided to give this one a try for myself.  I've personally never drank a White IPA so not sure how to judge this versus standard but looking forward to the experiment.

One thing that I forgot.  When I primed my bottles I went onto the Screwy Brewers website to get the carbonation levels for an IPA.  Can't remember the exact numbers that I used but one of the reasons that I got away from MrB kits was that the last few were extremely carbonated.  I thought I was doing something wrong so I looked around and found this chart. 

OK, drank a few bottles of the EDW IPA.  Not sure how to classify this and can't seem to put the flavors together.  My only real disappointment is that it came out bitter and I was hoping to get a little more flavor from the hops addition rather than the bitterness.  Won't say this is the worst thing that I've drank but will most likely pass on making another one.