Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
joejkd82

To Keg or to wait?

I have a time-sensitive question for the :borg:

I have an American IPA currently in primary (OG 1.067). It's down to 1.012 and stable for 4 days running. This brew is going to be kegged and served on the 4th of July. Being a 2.13 gal batch, I only need 5 days for set-and-forget force carb.

My question is on taste quality. It will have been 2 weeks in primary by this coming Saturday. I anticipate my keg to free up on Sunday. Should I keg it now and give it a nice week and a half to cold condition, or should I give it another week in primary (my usual routine is 3 weeks primary, 1 week condition/carb in keg) then carb up?

Either way the beer is ready on time, but I'm not sure if more warm time or cold time at this point is most beneficial to the beer for taste.

If it matters, I have a dry hop going on right now (it will be 6 days on Sunday) that I plan on transferring with the beer to the keg.

Chances are it's ok to package after two weeks but only a hydrometer test will tell you for sure, it'll tell you how well the yeast did the job in fermenting the beer.

Either way will work. FG has been stable for 4 days, so your good there.

Having looked at a calander and your time frame I'd keg it this weekend if it were mine to give more time on the gas. I find with my set and forget the the carb level is better at 2 weeks on and it gives the beer time to clear.

If you are transfering the dry hop into the keg? Suspend it just off the bottom of the keg with sanatized dential floss tied off to the handle or it may clog the pickup tube. Just seal the lid as normal, but spray with a little Star San to check for leaks.

Good deal, I'll keg this weekend.

I did pick up some unscented/unflavored dental floss a day ago, as the last dry hop i did in the keg did end up blocking my pick up. It is waxed (couldn't find "unwaxed", not sure if there is such a thing) but I assume that's not a problem.

Whereabouts do you suspend it? About mid-way through the keg?

I sanatized a shot glass to weigh down the hop bag and suspended it just off the bottom of the keg.