Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sundance

Yeasty taste -- too long on the trub?

Every brew I've made so far (admittedly only 4) has a prominent yeasty taste that takes WAY too long to condition out. I wonder what is causing this and what I can do to prevent this, or is it typical of Mr. Beer brews?

Would cold-crashing the LBK 2-3 days before bottling help?

I've also read that too much time on the trub will cause yeasty flavors, but I've never left a brew in the LBK more than 3 weeks.

Or could it be that I just need to leave the bottles in the fridge for a few more days before drinking? Right now I'm chilling them at least 2 days before drinking.

Thanks for you help!

How are you pouring. You want to pour in one motion and be careful to leave the sediment in the bottle.

• Like 1

How long in the bottle before you start tasting. Consensus is 4+ weeks.

I always have one a week after bottling. They are never yeasty. At worse they might taste a little unblended or too much hop bitterness.

"Sundance" post=381441 said:

Every brew I've made so far (admittedly only 4) has a prominent yeasty taste that takes WAY too long to condition out. I wonder what is causing this and what I can do to prevent this, or is it typical of Mr. Beer brews?

It could be a few things. It sounds like perhaps you've got extra suspended yeast when you're bottling. If you aren't gentle moving the LBK around prior to bottling, that could cause some issues. Are you bottling directly from the LBK into bottles? A bottling bucket w/ spigot and a spring-loaded bottling wand would certainly help and allow you to batch prime.

It's possible that you are tasting off-flavors produced during fermentation. At what temp do you ferment?

Would cold-crashing the LBK 2-3 days before bottling help?

Yes. Actually, 4-5 days would be better.

I've also read that too much time on the trub will cause yeasty flavors, but I've never left a brew in the LBK more than 3 weeks.

That's not causing your problem. A few months, maybe. A few weeks, nope.

Or could it be that I just need to leave the bottles in the fridge for a few more days before drinking? Right now I'm chilling them at least 2 days before drinking.

Thanks for you help!

I like to leave the bottles in the fridge a minimum of 3 days, preferably longer (a week or more). This is a bit like a second "cold crash" to clear the beer after carbing/conditioning.

Thanks for the replies, fellow brewers!

I think Big Floyd is onto something. I tend to move my LBK to a table right before bottling and bottle it straight from the LBK (albeit with a wand). I probably have extra suspended yeast. I definitely allow my brews enough time to bottle condition before tasting, so that is not it (6 weeks conditioning still has a yeasty taste)

So for my next brew (Canadian Blonde) I will make sure to cold crash the LBK for 4 days and batch prime in a second bucket. I hope this will do the trick. In the meantime, I will chill a couple bottles of my current brews for a week and see if that happens to cut down on the yeasty flavor.

Thanks for the help -- once I eliminate this mistake from my brewing I'll actually be able to share my homebrews with others!

"Sundance" post=381566 said:

Thanks for the help -- once I eliminate this mistake from my brewing I'll actually be able to share my homebrews with others!

And that would, of course, be awesome.

I'm way late on finding this post but I have the same problem. 7,8 weeks of conditioning and still "yeasty"/mildly cidery.  So I'm having my first bottle of a new batch of Canadian blonde that's been bottled for 4 weeks. I cold crashed this batch in the lbk for 24 hours before bottling. Tastes the same. I don't refrigerate long before drinking though. Anywhere from 6 hours to a day. Just long enough to get it cold. Anyway, 4th batch, still cloudy, still yeasty, still cidery. Any advice? Or is this just e way of the home brew? 

Temp control - ferment at 64 degrees wort temp.

Condition at 70 or higher.

Make the darker brews.

No, it is not the way of homebrew.

22 hours ago, Coop said:

I'm way late on finding this post but I have the same problem. 7,8 weeks of conditioning and still "yeasty"/mildly cidery.  So I'm having my first bottle of a new batch of Canadian blonde that's been bottled for 4 weeks. I cold crashed this batch in the lbk for 24 hours before bottling. Tastes the same. I don't refrigerate long before drinking though. Anywhere from 6 hours to a day. Just long enough to get it cold. Anyway, 4th batch, still cloudy, still yeasty, still cidery. Any advice? Or is this just e way of the home brew? 

Okay - so it might not be your conditioning, assuming temperatures are right. Now let's look at one obvious possibility, that you are not putting it in the fridge for long enough.

A quick checklist to go through -

What beers are we talking about?

What temp are you pitching your yeast at? (I think this was a major problem for me.)

What temp are you fermenting at? (A major problem for me as well.)

How long are you fermenting?

What temp are you conditioning at?

How long are you conditioning? (at 8 weeks you should be good, assuming the temp is right.)

How long are you leaving it in the fridge? (Right now we KNOW this is an error. The conventional wisdom is three days.)

Take a look at these things and see where you might be making known errors. Clean those up.

For me, pitching too warm was a known error. I cleaned it up. Hoping this will improve my brew.

Fermenting too warm, temps too variable, is a known error. I'm working on solving that for my next brewing cycle.

Conditioning - probably too warm, but I do not have a solution at this point. But I am conditioning for longer times. 6 to 8 is now minimum, except for a sampler 12 oz at either 4 or 5.

Refrigerating - I've been guilty of not giving it enough time. Done with that nonsense. I've noticed a consistently better taste when I've left it in the fridge for at least three days.

• Like 1

I have fermented longer than 3 weeks.

My FG was not satisfied so I increased the temperature a bit and the FG satisfied the fourth week.

If it matters from april 2013

I assume that pepole complaining of "yeasty" tastes are not drinking from the bottle, and are gently pouring into a glass, leaving the last 1/4 inch behind?

• Like 2