Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
full_too_pale

Bavarian Weissbier Conditioning time.

After doing some research, I keep reading that wheat beers do not take as long to ferment and condition. So I made the Bavarian Weissbier and I added 3 LME Goldens to it. Should I still give three weeks to ferment in the keg, and 4 weeks to condition? Or will this one be ready to drink sooner because it's a wheat beer? Thanks.

It will likely need to go longer because of the added LME. I know mine did and I added a pound of DME.

yeah the lmes are going to make it take longer. my american wheat takes 2 weeks in the bottle and it's ready to drink.

Is it worth opening a bottle after two weeks, or should I wait 4 weeks? Any idea or estimate for when this should be ready after using 3 LME goldens?

Is there a guideline or general rule of thumb for how long to wait when adding extra LME's? For example, you add 1 LME, you have to wait an extra week, and since I added 3, I need to wait an extra 3 weeks? I don't like testing them when they are not ready, that's why I am looking for a bit of a guideline.

Not really any guidelines I can think of. Too many factors will go into conditioning time: yeast, temp, etc. You probably could tack on a week for each of the LME, but no telling until you actually try one. That is why I employ a notebook. If I crack open a beer early, I note how long it was until it was ready. I tried a wheat at 2 weeks, it wasn't ready. Noted it in the book, tried at 3, and much better, logged it.

This Bavarian Weissbier has maintained a steady temp of 70 degrees, and I just used the yeast that came with it. I guess I was just a little confused of the conditioning time because I read a lot about wheat beers being ready to drink a lot earlier than others. I am going to keep this one in the keg for three weeks, and I will wait four weeks before I test one out of the bottle.

As Rick stated the wait is more based on ABV levels than anything else.

On an Imperial Wheat (6% +) I would wait 4-6 weeks

you added a lot of extra malt to this one. The more fermentables you add the longer it takes. do you use brewing software? By adding LME you changed the percentages, I would not call this one a wheat beer adding over 26 oz of malt extract changed that. The beer is most likely unbalanced from the lack of hops. You need to concentrate on getting good brewing habits down not chasing ABV and a quick buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!

@haerbob3, I honestly wasn't going for a quick buzz. I thought that the LME's added more flavor. That is what I was going for, a really flavorful wheat ale. Please remember that I am new to brewing and I guess in an experimental phase right now. This is only my third brew.

People here often recommend a pound of DME with the Mr. Beer refills, which would be 1.25lbs of LME. So that's a little less than 2 of the Mr.Beer packs. You added 3, so you are over, but big deal, live and learn. You've changed the flavor profile to be much more malty than intended. It doesn't really matter, in fact you might prefer it while someone else prefers excessively hoppy brew.

I think you'll be fine at 5 weeks conditioned. Best way to learn is to try one at 4, 5, and 6 weeks.

@ full_too_pale I apologize that you caught the brunt of my frustration with 1 certain person. One thing you can do to greatly improve your beers is get QBrew, or other brewing software. For new MR B brewers I recommend QBrew it is free has a MR B database. It is very interesting to see how one thing changes the other. As others have stated it is your beer and you brew it for you! I am a huge advocate of this. I pretty much find the beers made by the big companies to be undrinkable and undeserving the honor of being called beer.

I know how hard it is to wait for a beer to finish. I am still so impatient in waiting. That is why I have the sig:

"In der Lebens-Geduld ist eine Tugend
In brauen es ist eine Anforderung"

Which is German for:
"In life patience is a virtue
In brewing it is a requirement"

:cheers: :cheers:

"Bluejaye" post=381845 said:

I think you'll be fine at 5 weeks conditioned. Best way to learn is to try one at 4, 5, and 6 weeks.

Couldn't agree more with this statement. Trying one per week is a great way to better understand the conditioning process. I would even recommend trying at 2 or 3 weeks if you haven't done so already. Not every time of course, but at least once so you know what it means for a beer to be 'green.' Also, I don't know what kind of bottles you are using, but I would recommend getting at least the 1/2 liter PETs. Those one liter bottles go fast.

I think the advice of testing one a week to see how it progresses it good, with these caveats:

1) Ideally make sure the bottle is in the frig for two days or more.

2) Don't waste your time doing this on high ABV batches until you've hit 4 weeks. Testing at 2 weeks isn't likely to be a good experience. Same goes if you've added a bunch of fruit or booster.

3) As noted - if you have 1 liter bottles, your brew will go pretty fast this way. Either use 1/2 liter or 12 oz bottles. I'd be annoyed if I tasted a 1 liter bottle too early and it was awful. Scratch that - I WAS annoyed when I did that :laugh: