Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DetroitBrew

Bewitched Amber Ferment Time

Its been exactly two weeks today since i threw bewitched amber ale in my LBK with no additives. The yeast was super active within 24 hours and there was lots of activity in the first week. Well second week everything settled down and the temperature has been consistantly at 70 degrees the whole time. Today is day 14 and i threw the LBK in the fridge to cold crash for about 5 days. Any thoughts on what ive done. Let me know how my timing is for fermentation and about timing of cold crash. Thanks and Brew on!!!

:chug:

Go three weeks if you don't have a hydrometer.

Cold crashing if you don't have fruit or loose hops is not necessary but won't hurt anything.

I agree with Rickbeer regarding the 3 weeks as opposed to 2. Two should be fine...but 3 would have provided any final clean up. It won't turn out like turd at 2...but 3 is just a general rule of thumb.

As for the cold crashing, I tend to prefer to cold crash - everything except fruit and wheat beers. It's not "necessary"...but can certainly help in terms of getting everything to compact and settle...which should aid in a clearer pour at bottling.

I prefer 3 weeks fermenting but thats not to say I havent done 2 or 4 weeks. I think 2 is fine for that particular beer if your feeling anxious. Cold crashing isnt necessary but I like to compact everything to minimize sediment transfer so I wont discourage it. Otherwise its all systems go.

I've always gone 3 weeks myself and recently stated cold crashing.it does seem to help with everything settling. Good luck! B)

I let my batch of Bewitched ferment 4 and a half weeks, bottled it up last night. Did I let it go for too long???

This was only my 3rd time making beer with the Mr Beer kit, my previous attempts worked out great, but I had always fermented for 2 weeks. Does anyone know if the 4+ weeks fermenting will be ok???

It is likely OK, but try not to let it go that long in the future. Three weeks is what the Borg recommends if you you do not have a hydrometer.

Thank you for the reply, here is the update on my 4½ week fermented Bewitched... after conditioning for 12 days, I put all of the bottles in the fridge. Two days later I decided to taste. So far I am very pleased, it's a very dark amber color. I am half way finished with the glass and the head is still present, well carbonated, good clean flavor, I'm not very good at reviewing these kinds of things so I will just finish by saying it tastes pretty darn good.
Cheers

Let it condition longer! You will notice a difference. I've only been brewing about a year, but the 3 weeks fermenting and 4 weeks in the bottle (or more) has proved to be a good rule.

I would pull them out of the fridge and let them condition a bit longer at room temps. 12 days is enuf for carbonation but another 2 weeks would greatly improve. But if its to your liking now then by all means.

As for the 4.5 weeks in the fermentor, no problem. My recent beers have been fermenting for 4+ weeks. Mostly due to laziness but Ive no problems with them. Brew on.

Next time i'll try my best to let it condition longer, it's just so tempting!

Without going too far off topic, any recommendations for my next refill? I like Bewitched a lot, as well as the Octoberfest... anything with full body and lots of flavor, thanks.

Winter Dark.

I also have found that the two you listed were my favorites.

Agree with Rick beer. Its a fine brew. Ferment and bottle it and sit on it till Halloween, Thanx, Xmas time. U wont be disappointed.

I bottled my Bewitched after 15 days in the fermenter, because the SG hadn't changed in a week. That was in early May, and I find I like it now. It may improve some in the next month or two, if it lasts that long. So far that and the Oktoberfest are my favorite regular refills. For cost/benefit ratio I find the Oktoberfest unbeatable (so far).