Mr.Beer Community
Spucky

Summer seasonal!!!

Just recieved the new summer seasonal! Was wondering if anyone has brewed this yet?was wondering also what temp. You guys are fermenting at and what temp.you pitched your yeast at? :cheers:

Just brewed the Biere De Saison - 2013 Summer Seasonal last night. Some 6 hours later, there is a respectable krausen on top of the wort. I'm just letting mine go at ambient indoor home temperatures (no air conditioning ) which is typically 67-72 degrees. OG came in at: 1.058.

[attachment=13968]image_2013-06-25.jpg[/attachment]

Am I measuring wrong? I'd call that 1.060 and then add .002 for temp adjustment, since I bet it is 70 or so. I measure at the bottom of the miniscus. Just curious.

[attachment=13970]HydrometerReading.JPG[/attachment]

My OG was 1.064 for the Saison.

Monty

"Monsteroyd" post=381879 said:

Am I measuring wrong? I'd call that 1.060 and then add .002 for temp adjustment, since I bet it is 70 or so. I measure at the bottom of the miniscus. Just curious.

Monty

Well, I've been using the measurement at the top of the miniscus (as you can see). Thanks for catching that! My OG should be 1.060, without making temperature adjustments. I've always figured it's about consistency anyways, measure the same way before/after to get a valid answer.

"johnbe" post=381981 said:

Hi just wondering if you rehydrated your yeast

I did NOT rehydrate the yeast.

"Rebel_B" post=381992 said:

"Monsteroyd" post=381879 said:

Monty

Well, I've been using the measurement at the top of the miniscus (as you can see). Thanks for catching that! My OG should be 1.060, without making temperature adjustments. I've always figured it's about consistency anyways, measure the same way before/after to get a valid answer.

True, but if we all measure the same we can compare gravity's. You're right tho, it doesn't matter when you are pulling a reading to see if ferment is done.

(I did rehydrate just like the little picture on the yeast showed.)

Monty

Thanks guys! How important do you think it is to rehydrate the yeast? First time using this yeast.

Here's a picture of the LBK with the Biere De Saison - 2013 Summer Seasonal I brewed on Monday...

[attachment=13979]image_2013-06-25-3.jpg[/attachment]

In the fermenter. Mine came in at 1.059 with a refractometer....

"Spucky" post=382061 said:

Thanks guys! How important do you think it is to rehydrate the yeast? First time using this yeast.

I don't know, but that is what is pictured on the yeast packet, so I assume the manufacturer preferred that the yeast be re-hydrated.

But it probably would work either way. RDWHAHB

Monty

Lots of discussions on the forum about rehydrating dry yeast. Split opinions. The yeast manufacturers (for the non-Mr. Beer supplied yeast) recommend rehyrdrating, because they want to give their product the best chance of succeeding. Mr. Beer never mentions it.

I've rehydrated non-Mr. Beer yeast on my last few batches because I split the 11 oz gram pack into two LBKs and wanted no issues.

So rehydrate, or don't. Likely you won't be able to tell the difference. Definitely make sure to pitch the yeast at the proper temps though - too hot and you'll kill it.

Thanks rickbeer got the info. Think ill rehydrate the yeast seeing that's what the manufacturer recommends. I usually pitch yeast between 62 and 68 degrees!

You tube actually has a good video on Helping to rehydrate their yeast!

Mine has been in the lbk for a week today actually. OG was a corrected 1.058, rehydrated the yeast per the packet and pitched at 74 degrees. It's been sitting at 70-71 on the kitchen counter since.

Ok I bottled this batch of saison (I did 2) last night and the FG was 1.004, so with a OG of 1.064, I got ~7.86% ABV. Wow. The gravity sample tasted great. I really hope it tastes this great after carb + cond. It will be fantastic.

Monty

Just brewed this today. Hit 1.062 OG. Dd everyone do the the 3 week LBK 4 week bottle time for this one?

Will probably bottle my batch tonight (that would be 19 days in the LBK); FG looked to be at 1.006 on Wednesday, will check again this evening.

"LBK" post=385961 said:

Just brewed this today. Hit 1.062 OG. Dd everyone do the the 3 week LBK 4 week bottle time for this one?

I did/am.

Monty

Bottled up a batch of this one last night; #134 Biere De Saison - 2013 Summer Seasonal. Pretty tasty stuff! With the finishing gravity at 1.006, ABV came in at 7.1%.

Recently started fermenting this one...

I am not familiar with the style & am not sure if im going to keg or bottle and was wondering what CO2 level to shoot for???? I'm guessing high like 2.5 -2.8 range???

Tried 1 after 10 days in the bottle, it was great tasting. I did mess up on the carbonation though, little too much. Looks like an upside down blizzard with a good snow pack.

"beerbattereye" post=386446 said:

Recently started fermenting this one...

I am not familiar with the style & am not sure if im going to keg or bottle and was wondering what CO2 level to shoot for???? I'm guessing high like 2.5 -2.8 range???

I like the higher carb levels (2.4 to 2.8) in table saisons since they start at a low OG and ferment out to near 1.0. This gives them more mouth feel.

But this isn't a table Saison, and the BJCP will tell you otherwise, even though many authentic saisons are carbed at the higher end of the BJCP range or even well above it.

Biggest trick is for you to be sure you really are fermented out. If your not (and if you are bottling at > 1.00something you are not) then expect a huge mess if you carb high.

So, I might suggest that you be more conservative for this brew since it was a higher OG and unknown sugar content... over time yeast could still chew another point off the beer even if you already think it's fermented out to a stupidly low number. Especially if in the bottles the beer might get warmer then at your current temps. It might surprise you.

Just finished my keg...Haven't seen many reviews of this one.

I thought this was fairly complex tasting beer, with a strong fruity ester followed by a dry, earthy, slightly bitter finish. I also liked it better young. Not sure what my carb level was, but I'd guess "medium". Looked good in a glass...

I see it's still available, I will do this one again

Bump..for those of us getting our sale orders in a want to research a little

Everyone brewing this one straight up or anyone doctoring it in any way?  Thoughts on modifying the "Seasonal" brews in general and this one in particular?

I did not get the specific brewing instructions to brew it "straight up".  Can't find it online either.  Just curious about fermenting temps since it seems like it goes at a higher temp than other yeasts.

Fermentation temperature should be kept above 63F - it is unknown at this time what the upper limit for this yeast strain is (some have fermented it in the 90s), but free-rising from pitch temperature is encouraged. Does anybody have an opinion on what it a "good" upper limit for fermentation temperature for this yeast? I find it really starts giving off its spicy characteristics at around 74F.

Thanks Josh. So hover at or above 74? I am going to hydrate before pitching as well per the packet.

I have a Czech Pilsner at 68 with one week to go. This is next!

• Like 1

Thanks Josh. So hover at or above 74?

Yeah, that's the sweet spot, I think.

I did not get the specific brewing instructions to brew it "straight up".  Can't find it online either.  Just curious about fermenting temps since it seems like it goes at a higher temp than other yeasts.

I made this one with the temps around 72. Turned out great.

• Like 2

Be advised, guys. I just designed a saison recipe for Mr. Beer that will be going up for sale soon. You guys will be the first to know about it. ;)

• Like 4

Saison  from own recipe

Here is my recipe for last saison I made. now in drinking pipeline. Quite nice - not noticeably funky.

Was not fermented as high as 74, will wait until warmer weather for  next probably .

1x Bohemian Pisner HME
1x Golden LME

0.5 lb Briess trad dk DME (I did not have Mr B Smooth LME/DME on hand.)
In bag for all ferment:
  - orange zest (potato peelered orange peel)
  - 1 tbsp coriander seed crushed
  - 0.5 oz Tettnanger pellet
Last 7 days of ferment
  - 0.5 oz East Kent Goldings.

T-58 yeast, (did not have Belle Saison on hand.)

I am SO having trouble with image rotations .ugh.

post-63423-0-20078800-1424134756_thumb.j

• Like 1

Here is my recipe for last saison I made. now in drinking pipeline. 

1x Bohemian Pisner HME

1x Golden LME

0.5 lb Briess trad dk DME (I did not have Mr B Smooth LME/DME on hand.)

In bag for all ferment:

- orange zest (potato peelered orange peel)

- 1 tbsp coriander seed crushed

- 0.5 oz Tettnanger pellet

Last 7 days of ferment

- 0.5 oz East Kent Goldings.

I misread your recipe at first. I thought it said you added potato peels lol.

Now THAT's an idea! It will have starch alright and I guess it gets fermented for vodka, but not sure about beer.

I see there online recipes for potato beer.