Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Seth_Swayne

cleaning

Seth_Swayne wrote:

I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch and was wondering what you guys use to clean the keg afterwards

I use lots of hot water (below 140 degrees f) and a little scrubbie. Don't forget to disassemble the spigot and clean that too. Rinse with lots of hot water. Use sanitizer because your going to brew another batch, right.

Ditto on semi-hot water. . . .and oxyclean. I'm sure no one else uses that. :) Honestly, I used to use hot soapy water for bottles and kegs and it worked okay, but after hearing everyone here swear by Oxyclean, I went ahead and bought some and was quite surprised at how well it cleans, removes labels and gets rid of the smell.

050209oxy.jpg

I use the other one of these... says "free" on it. I just grabbed the one the wife uses on the clothing.

first I just rinse the kegs out, not much scrubbing. Don't want to rub the plastic off you know (read ~ lazy). Then I put in a partial scoop of Oxy, fill the keg with water and let it soak. after a hour or so, everything just wipes off. Then I rinse, and clean the spigot (don't forget to leak test after reassembly). Then, use some sanitizer before use. ;)

After the keg is empty - I use the sprayer in the sink to get as much as I can.

Then I wipe lightly with a "cotton" cloth. I don't want any scratches I can avoid.

After that I do what yankeedag said.

Dan

I have saved the leftover one step from sanitizing bottles and used that and a cloth to scrub the inside. But I really think about a tablespoon of oxyclean and enough warm water to fill the keg makes the best cleaner, just let it sit about 2 hrs and then rinse.

I sanitize the bottles with one step. Instead of dumping them out I dump them into a large pitcher. After bottling I clean the keg with a drop of anti microbial hand soap and a soft cloth. Then I pour the used one step from the pitcher into the keg and slosh around. Been working good. I know a lot of the guys here use Oxy Clean but I'm leery of the health effects of using a laundry stain remover. Maybe I'm paranoid.

I use antibacterial hand soap because it does'nt leave a film and a soft sponge with no scratch pad on it. Before I use it again I fill with warm water and let it soak for a while then empty and use the one step as directed. So far so good. Don't forget to take off and clean the spigot real good also. B)

norman1 wrote:

I sanitize the bottles with one step. Instead of dumping them out I dump them into a large pitcher. After bottling I clean the keg with a drop of anti microbial hand soap and a soft cloth. Then I pour the used one step from the pitcher into the keg and slosh around. Been working good. I know a lot of the guys here use Oxy Clean but I'm leery of the health effects of using a laundry stain remover. Maybe I'm paranoid.

:)

A little paranoia is not always bad, although Oxyclean and Oxyfree have pretty darned good reps here and elsewhere. For years (way back when) the standard for the old home brewers was bleach (a laundry stain remover). I used it myself to good effect a few times but learned my lesson the hard way on two brews. Bleach MUST BE RINSED EXTREMELY WELL or else you get chlorophenols which are some of the WORST tastes you ever imagined in a beer. I recommend very good rinsing for most any cleaner except one. Star San. You can use left over Star San mixture to good effect as a cleaner. I read a thread on a homebrew forum frequented mostly by all grain brewers where this went back and forth for months. The main argument seemed to be that Star San was nowhere recognized as a 'cleaner' but only as a 'sanitizer'. Then some enterprising researcher found a little notation in the fine print where the company DID note that it worked as a cleaner but was not recognized as such by the Feds who write the regs...I had to chuckle. I mean, I can understand the government regulating what constitutes a safe sanitizer. But a CLEANER?