Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bpbpthomas

All-extract English "bitter" recommendation

I started this in a different thread, but the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't have a lot of time to brew a batch -- which is the main reason I got into MrBeer in the first place!

I'm trying to make an all-extract English bitter, and I'm looking for advice/recommendations from anyone who has tried:

Munton's Premium Bitter kit
Munton's Nut Brown Ale kit
Munton's Yorkshire Bitter kit
Coopers International Series English Bitter kit

Any preferences/advice what to stay away from?

Generally Munton's superior to Cooper's, or other way around? (I know Coopers bought MB, so maybe that's a loaded question on the MB forum!)

As I recall, you can take any of those 5-gallon kits and just cut them in half for the LBK, which is as easy as it gets!

Just trying to get a decent-quality pub-style beer with minimal effort!
Thanks, all!

Do you want to brew a 5-gallon batch and split it between 2 LBKs?

By far, the best extract kit bitter I've ever tasted is THIS ONE from More Beer. Fermented in the 64-65*F range with S-04 it is very nice. Their LME is excellent and the special roast, honey malt combo gives it a lovely flavor. It was so good that my next AG batch of ESB will incorporate the exact same specialty grains.

Thank you very much!
I had gotten a Coopers kit a couple of years back and it came in two separate canisters, so I just mixed/brewed them one at a time.
I have two LBKs, so I could do that.
Thank you - I'll give this one a try.

You're welcome.

When using the S-04 yeast on this, please be sure to cool the wort to 62-64*F before pitching and then keep it in that sweet spot of 64-65*F for the first week. I like to let it finish around 67-68*F to give it a chance to clean up a bit before cold crashing 4-5 days then priming/bottling.

Like Nottingham yeast, never let S-04 get above 68*F during active fermentation. It can and will get funky if fermented too warm. :ohmy:

i saw some great reviews on YouTube of the Coopers. Apparently just brew it exactly as recommended. I picked up a kit and some LME and dextrose and will do as per instructions except with Nottingham yeast.

IMHO, the Muntons Gold "Old English Bitter" makes better beer then those other kits. Comes in 2 3.3# cans, use 1 can in an LBK and overfill to 2.4 gallons (bottom of Q) and you have great beer. S-04 is a good yeast choice for the second can, use the whole pack of included yeast for the first can.

Or if you can find the Woodforde Wherry Bitter kit or the Woodforde Nelsons Revenge (also made by Muntons, in the same style as the Gold kits, but based on recipies from the Woodforde brewery) those are also excellent. Best canned kit beers I've ever made are the Woodforde kits. Again 1 of the 2 included cans per LBK, and you get beer as good if not better then any of the Seasonals.