Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
pborder

first batch

I just tasted my first batch at 2 weeks and it tasted like weak watered down beer (think watered down Miller Lite). I read on here that you should let it sit for three weeks so after that time and after bottleing and priming shouild it taste like real beer or did I do something wrong?

What recipe did you make?

And did you follow the directions exactly?

And what do you mean by "real beer"? Miller Lite is a real beer, even if it's not enjoyed or even respected by many of us here in the Borg.

Keep in mind that the Mr. Beer kits come with recipes designed to be close to what is marketed to the general public. It may actually be close to a Miller Lite, intentionally. The introductory kits are meant to make more popular beer styles, rather than Belgians and Imperial IPAs, and such.

But I would request more information from you on your process.

I agree with Dave. Even without knowing which beer you made, you probably didn't do anything wrong. All the standard refills in general leave something to be desired. Try one of the craft series or add some extra malt or hops. Look around the Mr. Beer website. They have several additional ingredients you can add to the basic can to make it better.

Also remember that it will taste like warm, flat beer because that is exactly what it is until you carbonate it.

If you tried it out of the spigot and havent yet bottled, remember to sanitize the spigot lest you contaminate the beer while you are bottling.

And, welcome aBorg!

welcome to the forum. as stated we need to know what you brewed to offer meaningful help. it is beer and it is still conditionong so it will taste different in about 4 weeks of sitting on the shelf after bottling.

[attachment=13981]welcomebeer_2013-06-26.gif[/attachment]

I made the Ocktoberfest lager. I am not a big fan of lite beers so when I saw a two pack of refills I got that. I did fallow the direction that came with the kit as closely as possible. I was thinkinbg that the next time I will probably add hops. I also appologize if I insulted anyone with the comment about Miller Lite not being "real beer" I expected it to be flat but it really had very little flavor. I will bottle it tomorrow and wait a few more weeks and see what happens. it was suggested that I sanitisae the spigot since I sampled from it last week. How would I do that?

I'm surprised to hear the Oktoberfest turned out that way. I've never done it straight up but I've heard from people who have that it turned out well. Even with that I mind, I stand by my earlier statement of adding DME or LME to the basic cans. You'll be happier with them. I did Roses Rambling Red (Oktoberfest, booster, smooth LME) and it was one of the better beers I've made.

I concur. I've made it once, making Bohemian Bronze, which is Oktoberfest plus 8.8 oz of pale malt extract, a pouch of booster, and 1/2 oz Mt. Hood hops. Last batch I made with booster - I don't really care for it and won't use it in the future. Also found the hops aroma a bit strong.

I have another can of it and unless I find a recipe I like better I'll make it with a pound of pale LME.

Yeah I figured the next time I would add some hops or somehting. Since it was my first batch I had read that you should start out with just the can and don't add to it so that is what I did. I am goping to bottle it today so maybe adfter that and putting in the sugar and letting it sit more it will be better.

"pborder" post=383046 said:

I expected it to be flat but it really had very little flavor. I will bottle it tomorrow and wait a few more weeks and see what happens.
it was suggested that I sanitisae the spigot since I sampled from it last week. How would I do that?

1- It will definitely taste better after conditioning in the bottles for a month. The carbonation alone, plus the maturing, will make a big difference.
2- One good way to sanitize the spigot is to put sanitizer solution in a shot glass, about 3/4 full. Simply move it up and down under the spigot and you'll usually see slight traces of wort dissolve into the sanitizer for the first few times, especially if done before the wort dries onto the inside of the spigot. Then just hold the shot glass up against the spigot with the solution surrounding the spigot for another 20 seconds or so and you should be good.

Enjoying a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale while my first batch sits on the closet shelf nestled safely in their bottles. I didn't taste it but it smelled like beer bread. Yeasty and beery. I can't wait to try some although I did mess up the caps on a few of them. I didn't realize that they had the seal thing on the bottom that would break when you opened them if they were screwed on too tight so I accidentaly broke the seal on a couple while sanitizing. I hope that doesn't cause a problem with the carbination.

"pborder" post=383431 said:

Enjoying a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale while my first batch sits on the closet shelf nestled safely in their bottles. I didn't taste it but it smelled like beer bread. Yeasty and beery. I can't wait to try some although I did mess up the caps on a few of them. I didn't realize that they had the seal thing on the bottom that would break when you opened them if they were screwed on too tight so I accidentaly broke the seal on a couple while sanitizing. I hope that doesn't cause a problem with the carbination.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, there's no problem. Those twist-on plastic bottle tops for the PET bottles are reusable quite a few times. That original ring seal means nothing, other than proof nobody ever opened it before you did, as far as I can tell.

"Joechianti" post=383434 said:

"pborder" post=383431 said:

If you're saying what I think you're saying, there's no problem. Those twist-on plastic bottle tops for the PET bottles are reusable quite a few times. That original ring seal means nothing, other than proof nobody ever opened it before you did, as far as I can tell.

That bottom ring is just a "tamper" seal. It's only purpose is to indicate if the bottle had been opened or not. Other than that, you can pull them all off and discard them as they may interfear with a re-seal. B)

Thanks Joe. I was afraid that it wouldn't seal proporly and that would effect the carbonizatiopn.

I made the Oktoberfest as is back in the beta tester days. It was quite thin and lifeless.
The next time I added steeping grain and some amber DME and hops and it was excellent.

OK the instructions say at least a week before tsating but I have read on here anyting from 3 weeks to 6 weeks. When can I give my batch it's first taste?

You can give it a tast any time you want. But I would give it 4 weeks. If it's still not to your liking wait another week and try another repeat tell ou like it then put it all in the fridge and enjoy.

"pborder" post=383738 said:

When can I give my batch it's first taste?

Like Elko says, you can give it a taste any time you want. Each recipe is different, and some take longer to condition than others. In my limited experience, I won't even touch them now until 4 weeks conditioned. I try to hold out until at least 6 now that I have a very small pipeline established, but curiosity often gets the better of me.

Probably just needs more time like the others have posted....I brewed some American Classic Light in the middle of May, getting there - but still not quite right

"pborder" post=383738 said:

OK the instructions say at least a week before tsating but I have read on here anyting from 3 weeks to 6 weeks. When can I give my batch it's first taste?

Send me a 12 pack and I'll have one every few days, and I'll let you know when the proper time is!

My first glass of home brew. Altogethrr not bad. I will add hops next time.
[attachment=14219]2013-07-1320.45.55.jpg[/attachment]