Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
twyjad

gunk

+1

When you put the sugar in the bottle the yeast eat it, and poop out trub and carbon dioxide. Just like the trub that was on the bottom of your LBK, you get a little in the bottle.

Tastes yeasty. And it might give you the "yeasty" poops. Try not to pour it into your glass.

in some beers i actually like the bottle trub. hefeweizens are meant to be served with yeast. in fact thats what it means in german 'yeast wheat' beer.

you pour half the bottle, give the remaining beer a nice swirl to get the bottle trub into suspension, then pour the rest.

as jimh pointed out, some people are REALLY SENSITIVE to yeast. it can cause lots of gas, and sometimes the runs.... until your internals get used to drinking yeast.

When you read the basics of brewing, it talks about how the bottle is able to create carbonation by adding sugar to it. The sugar is converted by the yeast remaining in the beer you put into the bottle. Like with the fermentation in the LBK, that yeast and sugar interaction creates trub, as noted.

Trub will alter the taste of your beer, besides the side effects that zorak1066 notes. For most brews, you should GENTLY POUR the contents of the bottle into a glass, stopping when you down to that last 1/4 inch or so, and then leave that in the bottle to pour down the drain - or drink separately if you like it, which most people do not.

If you do mix it in bottle and then pour it, you'll get a cloudy glass full of beer, which is ok for a few types but not for most. That's why most people don't drink homebrew directly from the bottle.

i loves my homebrew straight from the bottle. i figure the yeast honored me by making beer. i will honor them by drinking them. my yeasties become one with their God! the ones left in the fermenter trub i usually pour lovingly into the soil outside to return them to nature. next batch though i'll ltry harvesting and repitching. they were very very active yeasties.

"zorak1066" post=382653 said:

in fact thats what it means in german 'yeast wheat' beer.

I didn't know that, but you are correct!

Definition: Hefeweizen is a cloudy wheat ale that originated in Germany. The direct translation is hefe-yeast weizen-wheat. Yeast in the name refers to the fact that this beer is unfiltered and remains cloudy thanks to the suspended yeast. This yeast also contributes the unique banana and clove qualities to the aroma and flavor of hefeweizen.

Thank you Zorak!