Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
8teen

Is it working?

How do I know that the beer is fermenting? I did my first ever batch 3 days ago, and set the lbk in my basement. After the first day when I went down and thought I smelled the fermenting starting.
It looks cloudy and has a foam on top. What else should I be looking for/seeing if anything?

you'll note a build up of Trub on the bottom of the LBK. At this point, walk away from the keg. Stop perving at it. leave it alone for a total of 3 weeks, and then bottle.

"8teen" post=383124 said:

How do I know that the beer is fermenting? I did my first ever batch 3 days ago, and set the lbk in my basement. After the first day when I went down and thought I smelled the fermenting starting.
It looks cloudy and has a foam on top. What else should I be looking for/seeing if anything?

I got worried on my first batch also. If you see foam/smell fermentation you should be fine. If you can see trub (sediment at the bottom of the keg) you are definately ok!

Some beers foam less than others, the trub on the bottom is the important indicator.

I didn't see anything at the bottom , it is still cloudy. And the foam has seem to go away.

Shine a flashlight at the very bottommost section of the LBK and look for a thin layer of whitish trub. Trub isn't bubbly. However, since you had krausen (the foam at the top), it likely is fermenting.

Three days may not be the best time frame to determine how well your beer is progressing. But if you had krausen on top, and smelled a bready/yeasty/beery smell, all signs are positive. As Time Traveler suggested, shine a flashlight at the bottom of the LBK to see if there's any sediment building up down there.

And, as yankeedag suggested, give it three weeks total and then bottle.

"yankeedag" post=383126 said:

you'll note a build up of Trub on the bottom of the LBK. At this point, walk away from the keg. Stop perving at it. leave it alone for a total of 3 weeks, and then bottle.

+1 on the 3 weeks...BUT.... thats a big but, what can i say i drink a lot of beer....

nothing wrong with perving, as long as it doesnt lead to freak outs and panic. i recall when i saw my first yeast storm in a glass fermenter, giggling like a fool. i stared in awe like a happy child for close to 30 minutes watching the yeast swirl and bob like mad as krausen belched up through the blow off airlock. it was beautiful. i laughed at the frequent yeast farts. i actually was able to forget about life's crapfest for a little while.

so perv away... just dont let what you see freak you out. come here...ask... and know that odds are, everything's just fine.

My first batch started on 17 June. I can't wait until it is ready to go!!!

The one thing I worry about is the "trub" did I say that right? There seems to be alot of it right in the botton of the keg which seems normal. But there is also a bit right next/on the tap also. So should I worry about that at all? Or is it normal to have that in that location?

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Electrohawg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futiel: WE have BEER.

To help prevent trub build up at the spigot, most will place a CD cover or two under the Ked at the Tap End. That helps prevent trub build up there.

You can still do that even at this late date and time.

Guest System Admin

Love the avatar!