Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
planetb

Might have screwed up at bottling

So I think I only put 1 scoop of sugar in my 1 liter bottles.. I used the big scoop on Mrbeer Sugar Measure (self leveling)

I bottled on 6/8/2013 and put one batch in the refrig (6/23/2013) already. I sampled one of the beers after 3 days in the refrig and noticed that it did not have much head or pressure when I opened the bottles. I use only 1 scoop on the Mrbeer Sugar Measure. I looked back at my log and noticed it! I should have been 2 scoops.

So what Should I do? I opened 4 bottles and put another scoop of sugar in it today and put them in the refrig. Another 11 bottles are already in the refrig?

Should I open them all and add another scoop or is it too late to recover?

Alas, the only solution is to ship the bottles to a certified beer examiner for inspection and possible salvation of your brew. Ship them to:

Rick Beer
#3 I Will Drink Your Beer Lane
Ann Arbor, MI 48105

:laugh:

Assuming you mean 6/23, not 8/23, you need to wait FOUR WEEKS, not 2, to see how it comes out. The big scoop does 1 1/4 teaspoons, not the 2 1/2 Mr. Beer recommends, so you did 50%. I do 65% of Mr. Beer levels, some do even less.

Remove all from the frig and wait four full weeks at room temp. Then, put one in for 2 days and try it.

Most Mr. Beer brews will have little to no head. Adding sugar will make the entire bottle foam out and be lost, and then we'd have to arrest you for willful destruction of beer, a class A felony. If they didn't foam out, that's a surprise unless they were already cold.

Learn from this and you'll be better in the future.

My first 2 batches I did 21days in the keg and then 2 weeks at room temp and had pretty good result. most sat in the refrig for 4weeks +

Will pull them back out for another 2 weeks and see how that goes. These 2 batches went for 21 days in the keg and then 2 weeks in the bottle. one batch has been sitting outside at 72degree for 3 weeks now, so will let it sit for another week.

Batch #3 is Fallen Friar

FF start GV was at 1.03 and finished at 1.012 (hopefully reading it right)
Classic American started 1.05 and finished at 1.010

Batch #4 is a Classic American Light with fixes : It smells and tasted real good after a couple days in the refrig, but tasted a little flat. Real good hop taste, but not over powering. Not a big fan of mega hop taste.

Batch #1 was baseline West Coast Pale Ale
Batch #2 was baseline Whispering Wheat Weizenbier, also had very good head on all the bottles.

Whispering Wheat was real good for a Mrbeer brew. Didnt like the West Coast. Might have burned the west coast a little as I jumped right in without much info. It tasted a little burnt maybe. It was still drinkable and seemed to get better the longer it was sitting there.

Batch #4 is :
1 lb of amber DME
1/2 oz Hallertau hops boiled for 5 mins and then left in the keg for 21 days
Classic American Light HME.

I have something like 20 cans of Classic American light left.. So was playing around with it.

Used rehydrating dry yeast (using grape nuts) for both. gonna do another 2 baseline soon, I do have 12 kegs now.. so could do a lot more, but temp control this time of year sucks.. working on finding a old wine cooler or something to keep them at a steady temp.

if you boil the hops, there is no point in leaving the hops in the keg. They are pretty much rung out. If you're wanting to "dry" hop, then use fresh hops that haven't been in hot water..

so I know I miss-measured the sugar while bottling. I am using the 1L bottles and in my over eagerness I used 2 tbsp. not the 2tsp.... I only did it to 4 of the 8 L bottles though.

What should I do or expect because of this mess up?

They may explode, if not they will distort. Put them in a cooler or other waterproof box.

Open the cap once a day for a few days to let the pressure out.