Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
pborder

second batch

my second batch I have a can of the Mexican Cervesa. I saw a recipie that called for lime and chilies. I'm not a big chilie fan so my question for all you brewwing gurus is what extra stuff ( hops, malts ect) would be best to add to this can. All the other recipies using the Cervesa were fruity and I don't care for fruity beers. I don't know if you can just leave out the ingriedents you don't like without messing everything up.

Did you specifically seek out the Mexican Cervesa, or did you just get it by default with a kit or something? If you just happened across it, then again I'd ask, are you specifically looking forward to it or just trying to use what you got? The reason I ask is because if it was me, and this is just one opinion, of course, I would be looking not for a way to subtly complement it's nature, but a way to alter it's nature more dramatically to my own taste. Again, that's just one opinion, but I'd be adding more malt, more hops, maybe a little steeped grains to bring the flavor up a few notches. But this one's for you, so what do you like?

I got it as a part of an international refill kitt that I saw at the store. I bought the kit because the original kit came with an American light and I am not a big fan of lite beer. Since I have it I thought I would make the best of it.. As far as taste goes I do like Corona which is what I thought about whern I saw this in the kit. I like atroinger and hoppier beers. I just don't know what would be the best kind of hops to use for this particular brew.

pborder welcome. The Mexican Aztec is Not that good by its self. Here is one that I did that seemed to work out well 1 pale lme 250 grams. From mr beer follow the mr beer instructions for boiling the water. Then while the water is boiling add the LME and stir good. When the LME is stirred in remove from heat and add the Mexican Aztec. Fill the LBK with the suggested amount of cold water and add you wort bring your water level up too the mr beer suggested level make sure that the wort is at 70 deg or lower and pitch 1/2 pact of us-05 yeast. After two weels fermenting at 65 deg. Add the zest and juice of two limes. And a 1/2 oz of centennial hops allow another week in LBK. Then cold crash LBK for 3 days and bottle using the correct amount of suger for the size of bottles you use. Let carb and condition for 6 weeks at room temp. It takes a while for the Aztec to condition.

"pborder" post=383505 said:

I got it as a part of an international refill kitt that I saw at the store. I bought the kit because the original kit came with an American light and I am not a big fan of lite beer. Since I have it I thought I would make the best of it.. As far as taste goes I do like Corona which is what I thought about whern I saw this in the kit. I like atroinger and hoppier beers. I just don't know what would be the best kind of hops to use for this particular brew.

Well, since you say you like Corona, and you also say you like a little stronger and hoppier brew, then I think Elko nailed it. A little extra malt and a little extra hops should serve you well, and the Centennial he mentioned is a great choice since it should be a little 'citrusy'. And if you do enjoy a little more citrus, then go ahead and add a little lemon, either in the fermenter, near the end, or in the glass.

To cold crash:
Place the beer in the fridge for a few days to cause/allow particulate to settle out into the trub allowing for a clearer beer.

You can place the whole keg in the fridge, or, drain off as much as you can without taking the trub as well into a slimline or simular container.

the 2nd way clears a wee bit more than the first option...only because there is less trub to play with.

Cold crashing is putting the LBK in the fridge for 3 days before you bottle it. It firms up the trub so you don't get much/any in the bottles.

The Aztec was my first brew, if I make it again I'll definitely add some extra malt. A wedge of lime in the glass perked it up. It definitely needs about 6 weeks to condition.

+1 to cold crashing. You'll get noticeably clearer beer with this technique.

I also agree with the (minimum) six week conditioning time on the AMC and with the lime wedge. Elko is right that it isn't great by itself. If I were to do it again I would add some extra pale LME and some lime zest.

I did AMC with light DME, honey, cascade hops ( last 5 mins of boil ), zest of 2 small limes, and 1/4 tsp of crystalized lime. It fermenting now. Should be done for Labor Day.