Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Pengins27

off tasting Apple Cider

MrB apple cider: fermented 3 weeks, bottled and conditioned 3 weeks...beer had an off flavor....waited 3 more weeks while my Diablo Red was fermenting....still has a horrid rotten apple taste...any thoughts fellas?

Looks like we're in for an early start to the holiday. I'm missing out on all the festivities today. First we got someone off smelling beer. Now we got someone off tasting cider. I need to get off and go smell or taste something myself.

What was the recipe?

Did you add additional sugar (etc)?

Ciders can take a while to condition depending on the recipe

Trollby, it was the MrB Apple beer recipe, the only thing i remember doing wrong and i knew better was i tested the gravity after 20 days and dumped the few ounces back into the LBK like a damn fool....

i followed the MRb instructions. i have conditioned for a total of 7 weeks now. at 3 weeks the beer tasted off, but i figured i would let it go until the Diablo Red was ready, (total of 6 weeks at that point) had an apple last night and again, just sour tasting.

Condition another 2 weeks and taste again?

I haven't tried the Mr Beer cider mix, but you may need to give it lots of time as other ciders can need. I brewed a cider last year from apple juice with some added DME and honey (admittedly a high ABV brew), and at 4 months I was saying "maybe I don't like cider after all". After 6 months it was starting to be good, and it was excellent after 8 months. The ones I'm brewing are lower ABV than that one, since I want them to be good at Christmas.