Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Grogg-this

Mexican Cerveza - Vinegar

Howdy All,
This is my first time posting. I am new to brewing but have been learning lot since I started.
This is my 3rd batch that and so far I have not had much success.
My First batch was the American Light that came with the Kit, it ended p tasting like watered down Busch Light.
Not great,but drinkable.

My Second batch, I got ahead of myself and tried the "Ole Mole Stout" Recipe (Without the Chile powder), and it tasted like gasoline. it took a more will power, but I was able to drink it as well. (But I was glad when it was gone).

Now I have just opened one of my 3rd batch "Mexican Cerveza", the only thing I put in this was a Booster pack.
It has a very strong vinegar taste. so much so, that I don't think I can bring myself to drink it. :sick:

Does anyone have an idea on how to get that taste out of there?
Any help would be appreciated.

Currently Fermenting:
Ruski Pilsner
Moose Drool Lager

Currently Bottle Carbonating:
St. Patrick's Irish Stout.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Torrey. You will be assimilated. Resistance is quite Futile: WE have beer.

humma! Sounds like a few issues here.
with your first batch... was it brewed strait up.. just the basic can, yeast, and water?
That would give you a "light Beer". after Testing your brewing abilities, we suggest adding a pound of DME or 1.1 pounds of LME to the basic for a little more body and flavor.
your second batch seems to have been fermented at too high a temp. That will lend to that taste.
Your 3rd batch may have grabbed an infection ~ specifically~ Lactobacilli. it gives the beer a vinigar taste. once that gets in there, well.. ew. it never mellows out. it's toast.
So, may I suggest you:
Wash your fermenter with Oxyclean (or knock off)...let it soak 1/2 hour filled with the mixture.
sanitize well... Star San is a good product...
invest in a cheapo Ice Chest so that you can place your keg in it, and add a few 16oz bottles with frozen water in them... to help control the temps, as the fermenter will normally go 10*F above ambient temp when initially fermenting.
Check your fermenter for scratches and only use a soft cloth to wash it.

Does the last batch taste like cider or vinegar? Cidery may go away if you bottle age at room temp another few weeks. Vinegar usually means an acetobacter infection. You're going to have to clean all of your equipment and bottles well and then sanitize just before use with STARSAN. If you really have a bacteria problem, your batches in process will taste like that too.

It also sounds like you've got some temperature issues. What you tasted in the second batch is fusel alcohol that results from pitching/fermenting too warm. Use a thermometer. Get your wort down into the 60's before pitching yeast on in. Keep it in the 60's for at least the first week.

3 weeks in the LBK to ferment. 4 weeks bottle conditioning. Toss the MB directions in the trash.

Thank you for the quick responses.
Vinegar may be inaccurate, If I had to choose one flavor I think it would be Lemon. But it may be the same issue. Either way I will take it back out of the fridge for a couple weeks and try it again. If it is still nasty, I will dump it.

For the Gasoline taste, I assumed it was because the recipe called for a bunch of brown sugar and maybe 2 weeks in the fermenter didn't give it enough time for the yeast to break down the brown sugar. But now I am rethinking my fermenting environment. I am doing it in my basement, and it stays at a pretty steady 72 degrees. Sounds like that may be too warm.

Again, thanks for the quick replies.

Hi Grogg,
I'm pretty much same experience level as you. I have tasted my third batch recently.
72 is too warm. My first batch was CAL at 72 but I missed out that the wort temp will be much higher than that as fermentation picks up. It tasted like some sort of whisky at first.

My CAL got notably better after 2 months from brewing date. I brewed it early March and I still have1 bottle remaining!

Next up was the cerveza and I kept the temp closer to 64. it went up to 70 once after 4-5 days of fermentation. The first bottle was decent but a bit of the heavy alcohol taste. Another couple weeks, the beer rocks!

My tips - good sanitation. rehydrate yeastr to get vigorous fermentation started early. I did so with my cerveza.
Also, avoid being too keen to check your beer all the time. You will expose it to light oxygen or other unwitting dangers. Good temp control in first 4-5 days of fermentation.
And, Patience!
Best of luck
Sam

Big difference between lemon and vinegar taste. Lemon is tolerable, vinegar not.

I had one batch come out with a vinegar taste - and smell. I did a 5 gallon batch split between two LBKs with two different yeasts. One was good, one had the vinegar taste/smell. I chocked it up to forgetting to cool the wort before I split it (didn't look at my checklist, fixated on splitting the wort evenly). When I ended up with mid 80s I waited for it to drop to low 70s which took two hours (with LBKs in cold garage). And yankeedag states, it won't condition out.

Thanks Everyone for your replies.
I just bottled a different batch (In a different fermenter), of Canadian Blonde with a booster.
I tasted it as I was bottling it, it tasted so good, I wanted to drink one right then.

It does appear to be an infection :evil: in the other fermenter.

I had a strong cidery taste from the MA recipe until it conditioned for a full 8 weeks. I had similar results with my first batch so the second time I made it I left it sit for 8 weeks before I even tried it. I was much more happy.

Hello All,
I gave it another two weeks at room temp and it tastes great now. Amazing what a couple of weeks will do.
Thanks all.