Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
NxQ!?

Crates?

Just started using the 16 oz swing-tops, and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for conditioning storage for the bottles? Right now I'm using the cardboard shipping box, but I would feel better (bottle bombs) if I had sturdier storage crates. Can't seem to find anything to fit - C&W has great reinforced crates for up to 12 22 oz, but not made the width of the swing-tops, although I can just put fewer bottles in the crate (I can fit 8 in the 12-22 crate). Any suggestions from the Borg? Thx!

Swing tops.... hmmm.... fill with red water, set on fence post, shoot with 22 rifle. I hate these things.....

Nice job tomt! It would be easy to build a couple, cut dado slots on the inside and use hardboard for dividers. I might have to make a couple of those, my boxes are about shot. #2,349,092 on the todo list.

For bottle bombs you want plastic that holds liquid so you don't have a mess. I use file boxes from Staples that are 100% free after Staples Rewards (you get your money back to spend at Staples). I have 4 of them.

Yeah the dividers are on my list to do but the honey do list tends to take precedence in the summer. I get to brew but other personal projects are put off till winter or I am caught up.

"RickBeer" post=384063 said:

For bottle bombs you want plastic that holds liquid so you don't have a mess. I use file boxes from Staples that are 100% free after Staples Rewards (you get your money back to spend at Staples). I have 4 of them.

Thanks all - not so much worried about the cleanup (on the basement floor by a drain) but the shrapnel! That's one reason the swing-tops seemed a good glass alternative to PET - really sturdy bottles with thick glass, plus slightly larger than 12 oz., so fewer bottles. Problem is their size, which seems not to fit in anything standard (looks like about 3" bottoms). Pretty much given up on plastic bottles, so I'll keep looking; good job on the custom crates BTW....

"JohnDubya" post=383993 said:

Swing tops.... hmmm.... fill with red water, set on fence post, shoot with 22 rifle. I hate these things.....

22 ammo cheap and good, but I'd rather blow then to hell and back with 223 or 308..lol

I will be building some of these out of 2x4's and Cedar fence boards. Utilitarian and air freshner for the mnan cave!!

I sense a disturbance in the Force regarding swing-tops.... :whistle:

If you can find 22 ammo. I'm down to 8k rounds and nobody has it in stock at a reasonable price. Big rifle rounds are even worse.

I really gotta start reloading but got too many hobbies.

"neo71665" post=384553 said:

If you can find 22 ammo. I'm down to 8k rounds and nobody has it in stock at a reasonable price. Big rifle rounds are even worse.

I really gotta start reloading but got too many hobbies.

Tsk-tsk, all this long gun talk, probably scoped; you can borrow some of my .357 SIG out at 50 yds; a more sporting proposition for the poor swing-tops.... B)

I own 120 rifles, yes some are scoped, but no my marlin model 60 doesn't have a scope. Only .357 I got is my s&w wheel gun, but it does have a scope.