Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Grogg-this

Best addition to a batch

Hello All,
I have been adding a booster to each batch. I will be testing the final gravity on my next batch to see what the actual benefit is. (with my brand new thermo-hydrometer).
My question is, if you were going to get one addition for a batch, i.e. Booster, lme/dme pack, hops, etc.

Which one do you thinks is the best to add.
Thank you,
Grogg-this

First addition for me would be WATER...and good water at that. 2nd would be a good looking female brew-helper. About the only things coming to mind yet

apples, oranges, bananas
Booster is a high class sugar addition
LME is better than booster
DME is more concentrated than LME
Hops is a different critter, and should be used for a specific intended purpose: BITTER/FLAVOR/AROMA

What you add is completely dependent on the flavor you are seeking.
Adjuncts like sugar and booster will add ABV, but risk off flavors.
DME/LME are better, they add body and maltiness, and yes, ABV, the preferred method for upping ABV.
Hops add completely different from ^^. They add, obviously, hoppiness. Boiling will give different affects, flavor, aroma, or bitterness.

If you are talking about KISS extract brewing, adding DME is the best add.

I add at least 1 lb to each MrB refill, sometimes more if it's an old smaller can.

As YD says, hops are more "interesting" and once you get there, you'll understand it soon enough.

For now stick to DME. Not that booster is a bad thing......it's just adding a lot of adjuncts when you could be adding malt (DME).

More malt means better beer (with some qualifications we don't need to stray into at this point in your brew career).

I'd add the caveat that adding LME or DME has the same effect. The only difference between the two is that LME has water in it, so you need to use 25% more than DME in any recipe (i.e. multiply by 1.25). Or, if you use DME in a recipe that calls for LME, you use 80% of what the recipe calls for (i.e. multiply by .8).

I use LME. Why? Simple - I can buy it for $2.50 a pound, in bulk, at my LHBS (Local Home Brew Store). I can't buy DME that cheap. I can buy any amount - 1/4 of a pound or 7 pounds or anything in between. And I can have them put it in multiple containers for free - once I had 4 recipes and each called for a different amount.

I've never used DME, but read about clumping, hot break and things boiling over and causing people to buy new stoves for SWMBO. :laugh: With LME, I soak the container in hot water to thin it to make it easier to pour while I heat the water on the stove, remove the pot from the stove, pour in the LME while stirring, and then put it back on the stove and bring it to a boil. I boil it for 15 minutes if I'm not adding hops to kill anything that could be in it, the remove the pot and put in the Mr. Beer can. If you buy the Mr. Beer LME pouches (I don't), then you can skip the boiling part since it's already free of "bugs" and add the LME pouch when you add the can of Mr. Beer HME.

Clearly DME stores better and lasts longer on the shelf as compared to bulk LME (you can also buy LME in cans). But my LHBS isn't too far (28 round trip, 8 if SWMBO stops from her work), and it's worked out great to get the next brewing day's supply plus the one I'll make 3 weeks later and I store the future batch's LME in the refrigerator just fine.

Point is - if the one ingredient you want to add is malt extract, either DME or LME, in the proper quantity, yields the same result - maltier beer with more mouthfeel, flavor, and head retention.

I didn't brew a beer that I thought was good until I added steeping grains and hops to the Mr. Beer recipes.
I think I've read on this forum that CaraPils improves almost every batch.