Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
joejkd82

I've done it! Favorite IPA recipe

After 4 months of tweaking, I've finally landed on a "house" IPA. The flavor profile I go for is bright, piney, grapefruit. A classic, crisp American IPA. I love bold pine flavor, and I think I've finally landed on my favorite recipe and combination of hops to accomplish that. Enjoy:

2.13 gal All Grain
5.5lb Pale 2-row
.5lb crystal 40L
Mash at 150F (60min or 90min for BIAB)

Add .5lb sugar while heating up for boil
.25oz Chinook 60min
.50oz Centennial 15min
.50oz Columbus 15min
.25oz Chinook 15min
.50oz Centennial 10min

Dry Hop
1oz Centennial
.50oz Columbus
.25oz Chinook

Yeast US-05
Ferment 2 weeks primary then dry hop 1 week in fermenter (so 3 total weeks in primary), then transfer dry hop bag to keg for 1.5-2 weeks cold conditioning while "set and forget" I like to shake the keg half way through just a little to get those hop particles moving about. Probably unnecessary, but what the hey.

Yum.

Glad that you found a recipe that works for you.

Personally, I'm a bit burned out on the "C" hops, in general. Right now I'm really enjoying Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo and Mosiac hops in the beers that I've both tried and brewed with.

But that's off-topic, I guess. It's a good thing when you finally land on a house-recipe that you can keep going back to. And half the fun was getting there, right?

I like that joe kept tweaking the same recipe. In my opinion that and SMaSH brews are the best way in the world to find out what various ingredients bring to the table. I think I did 15 red ales tweaking just one thing each brew before I got it the way I wanted it. In the process I learned exactly how various malts, hops, hop schedules, affect a brew. I have applied this to other beers and have gotten to where I can often get what I am after in one try.

Agreed. That's how I got my pale ale to where I wanted it, too.

Now I need to work on my amber. So far the best amber I've brewed is the Levitation Clone so I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I should do something different because I liked that one so much :laugh:

Congratulations! But I'll bet you're not really done. It seems homebrewers can't help tweaking things just a little from time to time!
:gulp:

"alb" post=384527 said:

Congratulations! But I'll bet you're not really done. It seems homebrewers can't help tweaking things just a little from time to time!
:gulp:

Oh isn't this the truth. I have an IPA recipe I love but I am still messing with it, I am on version 4 now.

Very satisfying to finally get a recipe you're satisfied with. And I'm sure the drinking experience will be satisfying, too!

Not sure I totally agree with Alb on the constant tweaking. I feel I've nailed down FD's American Ale pretty well, and don't feel a need to tweak it. Same with a couple other recipes I've developed. It depends on what you're looking for in a particular beer, of course, and permutations and offshoots can always occur, which I would consider "new recipes" rather than tweaks.

It's as broad as it's long, actually. As long as you're making beer that makes you happy, it's all good! And that looks like a good IPA recipe, too.

Wow, that does look quite tasty Joe. The one problem I see is the batch size. After you send all of us a bottle to verifi that it is worthy of your house, you'll be out of beer. :laugh:

"Kealia" post=384521 said:

Now I need to work on my amber. So far the best amber I've brewed is the Levitation Clone so I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I should do something different because I liked that one so much :laugh:

@Ron, I'm not even going to try for a "House Amber". Just going to brew this each time and just have an "Amber at the House". You are right it is that good.

I can definitely see where Amy is coming from. Pliney the Elder has been number 1 on the Zymurgee best beers in America list 5 years in a row. In spite of that every year they tweak their recipe.

I can also see where Dave is coming from, I have made my red ale the same for each of my last 4 batches. I like it so much that there just isn't anything I want to change about it. I don't have any other beers that remain the same. I did have 4 recipes I wanted to make over and over again. But then brewing started to become a chore. It was losing it's appeal to me. I really need that creative outlet. That is a big part of what makes brewing fun for me. So I decided to have just the one house beer.

"Inkleg" post=384572 said:

@Ron, I'm not even going to try for a "House Amber". Just going to brew this each time and just have an "Amber at the House". You are right it is that good.

I think I'm in agreement. I think the next thing I brew will be this again and it's going to be my go-to amber. I have enough of my own recipes where I don't feel bad about this one being "mine" or not.

And I get both the tweaking and the not tweaking. Most of my repeat recipes are 95% - 100% the same each time. Sometimes I will tweak one minor aspect a bit just to see if it enhances what I already liked about the brew.

I did a recipe recently using the c-hops and found that using the nugget hop as the bittering hop adds a nice contrast.