Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RaleighBrewer

Question About Using Non-MRB HME

I am a relatively new brewer and enjoying it! Although I've made some good basic recipes, I'm definitely still a novice when it comes to thoroughly understanding recipe combinations, etc. Since it is time to obtain new ingredients for my next batch, I was looking around at the various HMEs and have a basic question.

From everything I read, it appears that the larger cans of HME from a company like Muntons are for larger batches, since the cans appear to be 3.3 lbs. In addition, I see people recommending splitting that size can into two LBKs. Do people recommend this in terms of just being able to get more quantity of beer from a single can, or would not splitting it actually create a problem in the LBK if you used it all? When looking at the MRB HME cans (1.87lbs for basic and 2.86lbs for craft), many Mr Beer recipes often call for 2 cans of HME (2 basic, 1 basic/1craft, etc) and I've done that successfully recently. That being the case, combining any two MRB cans would be more than the single Munton's can, so would it not be okay to use the whole can of Munton's? Or, is the Munton's formulated entirely differently as to where it would cause me an issue from that perspective?

The reason I am asking is I thought perhaps I could save some money by purchasing a single can of Munton's for a receipe (~$20) as opposed to buying 2 cans of MRB HME (~$35) for a basic recipe packing a little bit extra punch, instead of using Booster and UHME. Either way, I'll be starting my next batch soon, but any/all feedback is always appreciated! :)

I've posted make ups using 1 3.3 can of Muntons.
For a real simple one..
1 3.3 can of HOPPED muntons
yeast
done
for one needing hops
1 can extra light
use 1/2 for a hop boil
1/2oz UK kent goldings...50 min
1/2oz (ea) uk kent goldings/fuggles 20 min
1/2 oz (ea) uk kent goldings/fuggles 0 min.
flame off... add remainder of LME
cool
add to LBK
cool to pitching temp, pitch yeast

"RaleighBrewer" post=384519 said:

...combining any two MRB cans would be more than the single Munton's can, so would it not be okay to use the whole can of Munton's? ..

I think the answer to your question is both yes, and maybe.

Some larger HMEs suggest adding additional sugar or malt to make the larger batch. So brewing that brew with only the single can would make it a bit stronger (for both malt and hops), not necessarily bad but maybe and maybe not stronger than you want. Other HMEs are intended to be used singly for a smaller batch or doubled up for a larger batch, in which case one can for a Mr. Beer keg would be about right.

Stating a particular HME you intend to use would be best.

The least expensive way to make good beer with a can of HME is to buy that large can, add approx. 3 lbs of LME, and split into two LBKs making 5 gallons.

Using a can designed to make 5 gallons to make 1/2 the amount will result in a brew that has a different flavor profile than intended.

To save more money, use LME/DME and hops to make a brew. There are extract recipes all over the web. I made a Moosedrool clone and a Blue Moon clone most recently. Cost of $25 and $32 for 5 gallons.

Of course all grain may be cheaper but you need more equipment.

I've thought about this too, but not yet tried it. I understand that the Munton's HME is intended to have sugar or extract added for a five gallon batch. So using it alone in 2.5 will give me a stronger beer, and change the hops ratio. My thought is that if I try, I'll use an HME that isn't very hoppy or strong. IE, use a pale ale can to make an IPA. The other possibility is to use only half the can, and refrigerate the other half. Munton's also has "Gold" kits that consist of two cans of HME.

I've tried a few of the Cooper's large cans of HME and have always done the full can plus extra malt and/or sugar, splitting it between two LBK's. Have really enjoyed the results, and think this is a good way to go. They usually say with the added malt and/or sugar you should get 6 gallons, but that must be for a lighter bodied brew. I do the 2 LBK's as full as I can get them, for nearly 5 gallons from the can plus malt/sugar, and am very happy. Sometimes I put the extra malt/sugar in first and do a hop boil before adding the can of HME, and sometimes I don't add any extra hops, depending on what kind of beer it is and how I want it to turn out. But I totally agree with Rick on doing the whole can at once and filling two LBK's.

Thanks for all of the feedback, I do appreciate it! I'm going to give it a shot with the 3.3# Munton's in the LBK and see how it turns out - now I just need to decide what type of beer ;)