Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mtsoxfan

hop straining

I'm looking to clear up my beer a bit, moreso, to have an easier time harvesting yeast. Does straining the hops before fermentation have any noticable affect on the flavor?

Someone posted pics of a hop spider and was wondering if by using one, the hops needed to be increased due to flavor loss from straining.

I use this

IMG_7819.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

I don't know that it changes the flavor any by removing them before fermentation. I am sure it probably does. But I have been happy with my product since I started using this. I got tired of having a clogged bottling wand.

Is the mesh so fine that you have to stir it once in a while to get the wort to pass? Looks like it would help airate as well.

If I use more than 3 oz I do have to stop and scoop it out from time to time. I like it because it has also strained out bees that got in during the boil.

I use a hop spider. works great. I just have to change out the bag about every 6 brews because they seem to want to clog up, regardless how often you wash them in oxyclean.

I've seen the set up, a piece of 4" PVC and some legs.... What do you use for the strainer... paint strainer? If so what size. Can you post pic again please? Thanks.

Gymrat, I think I have a fine mesh strainer I used to use for straining stock that might work too.

As long as it is stainless it should be good. I thought about building a hop spider. But I really wanted to run my wort through a strainer anyway because of past experiences spooning stuff out of my boil.

you can run your wort through your hop spider, do a quick dump, and continue on.

I am on break finally so I take a shot. I use both a kettle screen and a strainer to remove as much kettle materiel as possible. A nice side benefit of the strainer is wort aeration.