Mr.Beer Community
philm00x

16. Calypso Belgian Pale Ale (AG)

This recipe is going to allow me to learn new brewing techniques. I'm not usually for hop-forward beers, but I do like Belgian ales, and the flavor profile of Calypso hops sounded great. The bill looked like it would give me a beer with intense hop aroma, and some fruity hop flavor, while lending a malty finish.

Recipe: Calypso Belgian Pale Ale
Brewer: Alex Fields
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 2.82 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.60 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 56.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 90.0 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
0.20 oz Calypso [15.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 25.6 IBUs
0.40 oz Calypso [15.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4 16.9 IBUs
0.60 oz Calypso [15.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 13.9 IBUs
0.80 oz Calypso [15.20 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522) [12 Yeast 7 -
1.00 oz Calypso [15.20 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 7.50 qt of water at 161.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.14gal, 1.41gal) of 168.0 F water

• Like 1

No luck finding Calypso hops at the LHBS (didn't think they'd have 'em but worth a shot), so I'll have to order online. Will get to brew this probably next Thursday.

Had to use my Google mojo, Calypso hops, hints of pear and apple, lemon lime and notes of earthly tea.
"Must look into such said Calpso hops".

Farmhouse had the best deal on them. 4 oz for $5 and only 2.50 to ship them. Works out to $1.88 per oz all together. Everywhere else is at least 6 bucks to ship any amount.

Did you order them? They sound great. And you have been eyeing them for like a month now.

Yeah I just ordered them half an hour ago. Can't wait to smell em when they arrive.

Interesting recipe. Warmer temp will give you a bit more of that belgian pale ester you may be after. Looking forward to hearing about this one.

It sounds nice. The grain bill is very much how I make my "IPA like APAs" (session IPAs), as using some Munich lets you dump in more hops and still taste the malt. I'd imagine it will work nicely here too and give you what you are looking for.

I was doing a little bit of reading about people giving feedback on 3522. One in particular stated that lower temps brings the malt flavor to the foreground, while higher temps bring out spicy phenolics and tropical fruit flavor. The hops will be pretty fruity on their own, and I really like the idea of making an IPA like an APA, mashani. It's what I enjoy about Sweetwater's 420 Pale Ale, is that it's more hop forward than beers I usually drink, but has a great malty flavor up front. That said, I think I will probably try to ferment around 70. I think that'll give me the result I'm looking for.

IMHO, and based on my experience with it, 68-70*F is real nice for 3522...

Good call!

:)

Having put in the details of this recipe, I made it a full volume boil, and I ended up with 2.9 gallons of wort in a 3 gallon pot, so the wort was right near the brim of the pot. Kept a spray bottle of water nearby and I tamed the boil so that it wouldn't boil over at the hot break. OG came in at 1.055, exactly as expected.

995115_10153047982875022_1848149059_n.jp

0.2 oz of Calypso hops went in the wort for FWH before the boil. Then another 1.8 oz of additions during the boil and at flameout. Got another 2 oz left in my pack of hops, and will be dry hopping with one oz for 10 days after primary fermentation.

1013949_10153047990680022_1350012101_n.j

1 oz of calypso for dry hop added today. Gonna cold crash it after a week or so, since I poured the pellets in commando.