Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
steveabrous

Yeast out of control. What do I do

Long story short. my yeast is getting over active in my carboy. its been 24 hrs since I pitched with nottingham yeast and I removed the airlock and stopper and covered it with a sanitized plastic container. It is foaming over a little. Should I take a sanitized wash cloth and wipe away the foam, or take a sanitized spoon and dig out some foam, or just pitch the whole thing?

Yeast party = happy yeast = good beer. It should be fine. When the activity slows down a bit wipe the top off with some sanitizer and put your airlock(sanitized) back in and in 3 wks bottle away.

Nothing to be upset about! Nottingham tends to behave that way when there's good wort. Enjoy the show!

This is why some use blow off tubes. This is the same tubing you use for your auto siphon or bottling wand. Sanitize it, stick it in the hole instead of your air lock. Stick the other end in a jug or pitcher half full of one step. I know the hat likes to do this with all of his 5 gallon batches. I just stick a tube in if the need arises. Though my method does tend to leave me with a mess to clean up from time to time.

Don't worry about the foam... just clean it up like they suggested. you cold do a hydrometer test after a total of 7 days fermentation. nottingham may have finished the fermentation by then. But, note I did say TEST IT first.

I have had something like that go on for a couple of days. You really need to rig up a blow off tube.

Ok I have tubing but the hole in my rubber stopper is too small to stick my rubbing in and the mouth of the Carboy is too wide any suggestions

No...my regular tubing that I use for bottling etc fits my air lock grommet perfectly. I guess all you can do is run to lowes and get some.

"steveabrous" post=384942 said:

How wide is that tubing?

I think it is 1" I.D. Tubing, which makes it 1.125" or 1.25" O.D.

When I bought it, I asked my LHBS for blowoff tubing that would fit directly into the carboy neck...

They knew exactly what I wanted...

I think I am using 4' of it to get the arc I needed into the cooler.

I'm using a two gallon picnic cooler, half filled with water (some Star-San in it that was
leftover from brew day as well)...

An empty one gallon plastic milk jug works also...

I used to change back to the airlock after the violent part pf primary fermentation was over, but it's summer so since I'm brewing less, I leave it in for the whole fermentation period... After all, it is an airlock.

:)

[attachment]yeast party 001.JPG[/attachment]
I solved the problem. My 3/8'' tubing did fit my rubber stopper