Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
10Q

After bottling

What is the shelf life of the brew after bottling? How long can it sit at room temp, (68 to 76) before it needs to go in the fridge?

Often discussed. It NEEDS to sit for 4 weeks to carbonate and condition properly, more for some brews. A year or more is fine.

+1 to RickBeer's post. A minimum of 4 weeks in the bottle at room temps and often longer periods at room temps will improve the brews. Don't be in a hurry if you can help it. This is your first post, so probably your first brew??? If so, you can put one in at three weeks to try it out, then one at four, etc., to see how it improves with age.

Welcome to the :borg: And as has been stated at least 4 weeks and depending on the style and ABV of your beer as long as a year or more as long as you treat them like vampires.( In the dark at all times)

Thanks
So, if you have enough bottles and basement space, one could ferment every two weeks, bottle and then after another 4 weeks have a continual supply? I can see adding a date to each bottle is important.

Also, I have yet to find an actual cross reference list of name brand beers. How does one not waste 6 weeks to find the beer you thought you were making was not really what you had expected? A list like.. "If you like ??? then purchase ???"
Thanks

That is true you could do it like that and have a fine pipeline.
I brew my Behind off from sept to late May and doa 5 gallon batch then a LBK size batch and rotate like that and end up with enough of a pipelint to get me through my 3 months of not brewing.

"Rayyankee" post=384954 said:

That is true you could do it like that and have a fine pipeline.
I brew my Behind off from sept to late May and doa 5 gallon batch then a LBK size batch and rotate like that and end up with enough of a pipelint to get me through my 3 months of not brewing.

That seems like some good info right there. Specific to my situation anyway.

I have no fridge, am just starting and am trying to get the cooler method together right now.

A basement that is cooler would be a lot kinder in the fall and winter than in these summer months.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center 10Q. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have Beer.

Most of the MB beers need 3 weeks in the fermenter to get done what's suppose to get done in the fermenter.
The only way to tell if it is ready before that time is to test it with a hydrometer.
Wheat based Beers can be drank a wee bit earlier than 4 weeks, just because of the nature of wheat beers. The rest really need at least 4 weeks, with the higher OG beers needing 6 weeks or more.
As far as how long can the beers be stored and still be good, I've had some up to a year, just for the experiment of it all. They were just fine, but no real change after about 6~8 weeks.
As far as building up that pipeline.. well, your drinking habits will determine that. If you drink it faster than you can make it, get more LBKs. If you only drink a few beers a week, well, it won't take long to build up that pipeline.

Welcome to the forum!

Beer will last a pretty long time at room temperature. Recently I was surprised to realize I was drinking a beer that I bottled back in November!

As far as recreating name-brand beers, that's a little trickier. The best advice I can give you is to learn which style of beer you prefer. A lot of popular American brands are lagers, and while Mr. Beer ingredients may approximate them, they won't reproduce them.

As you learn more, though, you'll become more educated about what you like, and how to get there, either with Mr. Beer ingredients, Dry Malt Extract or Liquid Malt Extract with hops boils, Partial Mashes, or full-on All Grain recipes.

Just take your time, learn the basics, read these forums, ask questions, take notes, and enjoy your beer.

Yes, it will be my first brew... everything still in the box since Christmas. Basement was very cold this year, around 64 to 65, and I was afraid it was too cold to brew.
Just trying to get my ducks all lined up before hand.

I just purchased another kit so I have two fermenters to work with.

I figured since they said between (68 and 76) it was too cold? But thanks, I won't worry this winter.

I wish I had a basement :(

"10Q" post=384952 said:

How does one not waste 6 weeks to find the beer you thought you were making was not really what you had expected?

These beers you give to friends. If they have been brewed and conditioned correctly they are still good beers (just not what you care for). You learn what you like (I found out I don't really like Citra hops), your friends love you and the earth keeps rotating on it axis. So all is good (except for that 6-8 week thing).

Thanks for all the feed back. One other thing. I've been viewing the posts on boosters. I see terms like HME and UME. I can't find what this is in the glossary section. Can someone tell me what they mean and, when adding a booster, do you have to let it ferment longer than the nominal 3 to 4 weeks.
Thanks

OH, one more thing. Does altitude play a part in this process? I live above 4800 ft.
Thanks

When adding booster the fermentation will stay the same 3weeks. But condishining time will increase to around 6 to 8 weeks. You are better off using a LME (liquid malt extract) or a DME (dry malt extract ) instead of a mr beer booster

Google is your friend...

HME - hopped malt extract. Mr Beer refills.
UME or LME- unhopped malt extract / liquid malt extract

"Inkleg" post=384985 said:

I wish I had a basement :(

Gaaaaaaah! Horrors...

Build a tornado shelter or a zombie apocalypse shelter. Then you can go in there and "clean" it every few weeks...

In fact you should make sure you are not going anywhere near 76 ambient air temp as then the best will be actually much warmer than 76 during active fermentation. Maintain 65 or so and get good beer!
Sam