Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mashani

Pilote du Diable (India Pale Saison)

Or something like that.

Since I made my summer Saison and I know it's going to ferment out just fine with half the yeast pack from experience with a flavor profile I like, I figured I'd do something else easy with the other half and get 2 batches done today.

I still have old $4.99 sale cans of ADIPA and Pilothouse Pilsner laying around. I know those mix well. And I know they mix well with Citra. Since I busted open a pack of Citra to toss 1/3oz into my Summer Saison, I figured self, lets toss that into this.

So take 2 cans of ADIPA, 1 can of PHP, 1/4# of extra light DME, do a 10 minute boil of 2/3oz of Citra in water and the DME, add the cans, top up to 2.3 gallons, pitch 5.5gm of Bella Saison... and we have Franco-India-Pale-Ale-Saison thingie with a boatload of fruity flavors and spices.

I considered doing this with the can of the new Diablo I have laying around, but I couldn't wrap my head around an 80 IBU beer that might ferment out to 1.005... The old Diablo isn't quite as bitter, even so it's going to be a 60 IBU beer that's dry as hell, so who knows, but I figured WTH.

Keep us posted. As my brew-basement temperature climbs, I'll be making seasonable saisons.

"JohnSand" post=385081 said:

Keep us posted. As my brew-basement temperature climbs, I'll be making seasonable saisons.

That's why I gave this a shot. I can't keep S-05/Nottingham happy temps this time of year without a lot of trouble. Saison and Belgian temps, I've got those. So I figured, maybe it's time to try an easy mode Belgian IPA, especially since it only cost me about $9 bucks.

My biggest concern here is bitterness. I am sure it will have good flavor. But bitterness ratio will be higher then expected due to extreme attenuation.

I've got Krausen on both the Saison and this, and it smells good in here.

I bottled this from under a scary thing that would have freaked many folks out. Once in a while with these kind of weird yeasts (3787 is like this too) the krausen just doesn't fall, especially if it's got anything to grab onto. So, 2/3oz of pellet hops thrown in commando and floating on top... well that gave it lots to grab onto. So I had 1/2" thick mass of dried up krausen, with embedded hops, yeast islands that got stuck and never settled, and god knows what growing on top of the hops and yeast and krausen on top of the beer.

What was under that scary thing was 1.004, crystal clear, and it was very tasty although very firmly bitter due to the high IBUs and low residual sugar. I believe it's going to be nice beer, and very much IPA like.

Cool, thanks. My Saison had two impressive krausens, both fell though. The second was an adjustment in the fermenter. I miscalculated my initial hop boil, leaving too few IBU. So I made a little more wort with light LME and plenty of hops. This went into the LBK after a few days, causing a whole new krausen. Now it just has a little foam, and hop bits floating. I'm glad for the info on the half pack too. I usually do that with 04, but I followed the directions on the pack (1 gram/liter) and pitched about 2/3 of the Belle Saison. Next time I'll use half. I might even try splitting a five gallon batch with two different yeasts. One would go into the cooler.

If your beer is much bigger then 1.06, then I'd suggest using the whole pack, but if they are not high test then half the pack is ok. I've had no issues with attenuation or flavor profile from half packs of it in 1.05-1.06ish beers.

Thanks. All my brewing so far is 1.05-06. Well except Centennial Blonde, which is smaller. Still just trying to turn out consistently good beer, I'm not looking for big brews yet.

"JohnSand" post=389946 said:

Thanks. All my brewing so far is 1.05-06. Well except Centennial Blonde, which is smaller. Still just trying to turn out consistently good beer, I'm not looking for big brews yet.

You might be surprised perhaps that although I brew lots of Belgians and Saisons and such, that most of mine are no more then 1.06ish, and often 1.04-1.05ish. Most all of my IPAs don't go over 1.06ish too. If I want to hop them up more I toss in some Munich and then I can dump in lots of hops and still end up with a balanced seeming beer without having to use a 1.07-1.08 grain bill.