Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
8teen

Lawnmower beer

Seen this mentioned here and several other places.....what is it?

It refers to a low alcohol, light, crisp beer. Something you can sip on while mowing the lawn that won't wreck you.

AFTER mowing, not while mowing. Drinking while mowing is ill advised.

From Urban Dictionary:
Lawn Mower Beer
Any beer low in alcohol content that is also highly quaffable. A style of beer you would want to drink after working hard in the yard on a hot summer day. Usually a crisp pale lager or ale with moderate to high carbonation. Must be well chilled.
Lawn mower beer style examples include American Light Lager, Cream Ale, Blonde Ale, Standard/Ordinary Bitter. Commercial examples include Sam Adams Light, Genesee Cream Ale, Abita Golden, Redhook ESB.

Damn, I've been doing it wrong all these years. Drinking a low alcohol beer while riding around cutting the lawn...

Most definitely, wait until AFTER the lawn mowing is done to indulge in the beer. You wouldn't think there was any danger in drinking a few beers while mowing the lawn, but I know a fellow who did just that all the time, and one day his luck ran out. Poor devil fell in front of his self-propelled mower, which proceeded to shave off his entire left side. Thank God, he's all right now.

I see, kinda hard to drink and push at the same time so mine is definately after. Since the next brew I make won't be ready for any more lawn work. How about leaf blowing beer? Any suggestions......

"8teen" post=385392 said:

I see, kinda hard to drink and push at the same time so mine is definately after. Since the next brew I make won't be ready for any more lawn work. How about leaf blowing beer? Any suggestions......

I would suggest a gas blower over an electric one. More power. Since you won't be working up as much of a sweat, worrying about dehydration, or dealing with power blades that can cause accidents, and leaf blowing is typically in cooler weather, you should be able to enjoy any beer you like during that chore. Just don't get too relaxed and try to blow your neighbor's skirt up when she gets home from work. That can definitely result in a painful accident. Not that I've ever done it, just heard tell of it from the grapevine.

And here I thought it was a beer for the lawnmower so it would run more smoothly. I'll have to quit dumping it in the gas tank!

:mow:

"TimeTraveler" post=385410 said:

And here I thought it was a beer for the lawnmower so it would run more smoothly. I'll have to quit dumping it in the gas tank!

:mow:

that's alcohol abuse.

"RickBeer" post=385382 said:

AFTER mowing, not while mowing. Drinking while mowing is ill advised.

From Urban Dictionary:
Lawn Mower Beer
Any beer low in alcohol content that is also highly quaffable. A style of beer you would want to drink after working hard in the yard on a hot summer day. Usually a crisp pale lager or ale with moderate to high carbonation. Must be well chilled.
Lawn mower beer style examples include American Light Lager, Cream Ale, Blonde Ale, Standard/Ordinary Bitter. Commercial examples include Sam Adams Light, Genesee Cream Ale, Abita Golden, Redhook ESB.

Woops! My bad!

"Joechianti" post=385387 said:

Most definitely, wait until AFTER the lawn mowing is done to indulge in the beer. You wouldn't think there was any danger in drinking a few beers while mowing the lawn, but I know a fellow who did just that all the time, and one day his luck ran out. Poor devil fell in front of his self-propelled mower, which proceeded to shave off his entire left side. Thank God, he's all right now.

Well, you, sir, are a scoundrel and a scalawag! LOL

I am sorry to hear about your fellow but I must disagree...

#1. I'm not driving. I'm pushing.

#2. I'm thirsty. (after the front yard and the sides)

#3. I must get out of the sun and drink 1 bottle of the latest greatest Lawn Mowing Beer I have chilled to perfection and throw it in a frosty cold glass before I do the backyard!

Those are just the facts...and I rest my case.

"BrownstotheBone" post=385430 said:

#3. I must get out of the sun and drink 1 bottle of the latest greatest Lawn Mowing Beer I have chilled to perfection and throw it in a frosty cold glass before I do the backyard!

+1 ;)

"BrownstotheBone" post=385430 said:

Hey, believe me, I'm on your side. Just not your left side. That's too dangerous.

Drinking while mowing is simply a bad idea. It dulls your senses. Don't do it.

"RickBeer" post=385458 said:

Drinking while mowing is simply a bad idea. It dulls your senses. Don't do it.

Some of us are in the fortunate position that our senses simply can't possibly become any duller than they already are. That has it's benefits..

More info than I need brown... LOL

I make summer ales running around 3% for lawmower brews. I always drink a few while mowing. It makes mowing 5 acres eaisier. I don't worry about falling off, there's a saftey switch under the seat, if I get off/fall off, it kills the mower pretty quick. Yea, it's been tested..... :blush: Wife says I'm gonna fall off the back of the tractor when I'm bailing some day... I'll must become fodder for the critters then. Until then, I'll drink my lawmower brewskies, makes life more... fun.

Belgian Lawnmower Beer. Admittedly they are 5% abv or so, but for a Belgian that's lawnmowerish.

[attachment=14161]P1080723_2013-07-09-3.JPG[/attachment]

I always drink beer while during the lawn cutting.

But then, I use a lawn service, so while they're cutting the lawn, I'm inside having a beer.

To get back to the OP, though, Lawnmower Beers are also referred to as Session Beers. These are tasty, full-bodied, refreshing, but lower in alcohol, for when you know you and your buddies are going to be drinking quite a few. These drinking sessions are important social occasions, even if they're informal, and any responsible beer drinker knows he can't pound back four or five 6% beers and not wind up doing something embarrassing or illegal.

I must of got a hold of some tractor beer last night. Drinking water like a camel to get my head back on track. Whiskey shots must have had a bad reaction with the beers. Now I remember why I don't drink in my sleep anymore.

Any session, is better than the lawn mower session, but we do need and excuse to have some more beer. I be having a session tonight weather the lawn is involved or not.

"8teen" post=385392 said:

I see, kinda hard to drink and push at the same time so mine is definately after.

The trick is to wear your thinking cap.

[attachment=14164]thinkingcap.jpg[/attachment]

"FedoraDave" post=385523 said:

any responsible beer drinker knows he can't pound back four or five 6% beers and not wind up doing something embarrassing or illegal.

Often I'm just getting started with that .................. my homebrews are usually between 5.5 and 6.5, and I put 'em away.

A man's got to know his limitations. Some people are clueless after 1 beer, and should be advised angainst doing anything with machinery. Others, can take a couple few beers to cut the lawn and have the frame of mind to not do anything stupid. If you have the presance of mind to NOT do anything stupid, then you're OK. Trouble is for the ones out there that don't know when they are doing something stupid. :mow:

As an adult with experience, I know my limitations and exercise common sence along with that. I know I can safely cut the lawn, among other things after enjoying a cold frosty.

Must be where the term "falling off the wagon" comes from........

As I asked the cop who pulled me over wearing my favorite hat, "What seems to be the problem?"

[attachment=14170]beercaps.jpeg[/attachment]

Here I thought the whole point of having a beer first was so you could not find the lawnmower!!

I made some lawn mower beer and it was great; it was so good I never even mowed the lawn but I did make some more lawn mower beer. That was great too so I tore up the grass in my yard and reseeded with a grass I didn't have to mow. When I finished that I made some more lawn mower beer... I'm on my ninth batch. Now I just sit on the patio with a nice cold lawnmower beer and watch the grass grow. :banana: :banana:

What? First where do you get grass that does not need to be mowed! Also you on your 9th batch of lawn mower .....share the the recipe!

Well I am in the Texas Hill Country and the grass I have now is a mix of three native seeds, Buffalo, Blue Grama and Wiry Misquite so it won't work everywhere, it is a drought tolerant seed mix that will survive on six inches of water a year, doesn't need to be fertilized and doesn't need to be mowed but can be.

My "lawn mower" beer is a Blonde Ale we started brewing from a 5 gallon kit split into 2 LBK size batches with a single hop in each batch. It was more for "hop study" than intended to be a lawn mower beer so our ABV are a bit higher (but we aren't mowing :laugh: ).
They are quite good in this heat however.

Here is one with Amarillo hops that we really liked. It would depend on your tastes if you like one or another. As I said we are doing these to explore different hops but it turns out they are quite refreshing summer beers.

BeerSmith
Recipe: T4.1 Amarillo Blonde
Brewer: Brewbirds
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 2.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 1.56 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.31 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 3.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.5 IBUs

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.0 oz Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
4.0 oz Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
0.33 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 22.2 IBUs
1 lbs 8.0 oz LME Pilsen Light (Briess) [boil for 15 m Extract 5 46.2 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz LME Pilsen Light (Briess) [boil for 10 m Extract 6 38.5 %
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 7 -
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 8 -
0.33 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Aroma Steep 15. Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Mauribrew Y514 - English Ale Yeast (AB M Yeast 10 -
0.33 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

MAURIBREW Y-15 English Ale 10 grams
This yeast has very high flocculation properties. It is also a rapid fermenter at warm ambient temperatures, resulting in a typical fermentation time of between 3 and 7 days.
With its high temperature tolerance this ale yeast can ferment from 59°F up to 90°F (15-32°C) with desirable flavor characteristics resulting in the 61-75°F (16-24°C) range.
Flocculation: High
Attenuation: High
Ideal Fermentation Temperature: 61-75°F (16-24°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: 9.5%

Ignore all the weird notes that are from our brew profile this is just to show you the recipe.

Very cool, I'll have to look into that grass seed.

I was actually looking at amarillo hops today, might have to get some for a brew.

"8teen" post=385694 said:

I was actually looking at amarillo hops today, might have to get some for a brew.

You saw Amarillo and you did not snatch it up? Go back now and get them dude. That's what I'd do if I knew where they were and lived close by.

"mashani" post=385719 said:

"8teen" post=385694 said:

You saw Amarillo and you did not snatch it up? Go back now and get them dude. That's what I'd do if I knew where they were and lived close by.

Yeah I agree get some if you can. That was an excellent beer. We ordered several more ounces after drinking it.

Amarillo hops $3.99 oz. on moster brew . Com....
Are they that good? I am sitting on some Centential in the frig right now...but doesn't hurt to have more if they are really good right? .....I have to get another lbk!

"FedoraDave" post=385523 said:

...any responsible beer drinker knows he can't pound back four or five 6% beers and not wind up doing something embarrassing or illegal.

From what I see, probably embarrassing AND illegal.

Went to my lhbs to look for an additional lbk.....no luck. But looked around for awhile and now I have so many options what to brew next....if I only had a second lbk I would have brewed today.

Craigslist. I got an entire kit for $10 with LBK, bottles, and old HME.

Hrm Lawnmower Beer.... Does that work for someone in the desert who has a Rock front yard?

"Btech117" post=385859 said:

Hrm Lawnmower Beer.... Does that work for someone in the desert who has a Rock front yard?

I guess something bit stronger for you . You'll have come up with a rock lawn beer,

Lol....yes go for an IPA, with Phoenix and Citra hops.....really dry!

Went for an Abita Lemon Wheat after the lawn......probably will have another too....my brother in law is in NOLA and keeps sending pictures so I figured I try an Abita

"8teen" post=386553 said:

Went for an Abita Lemon Wheat after the lawn......probably will have another too....my brother in law is in NOLA and keeps sending pictures so I figured I try an Abita

Abita makes some good brews. We discovered it in NOLA over spring break for our anniversary. Their amber is good stuff.

"Jim Johnson" post=386678 said:

i'm such an idiot i got to look nola up everytime. (duh huh)

No worries. I was a actually there for about three days before I figured out what it meant.