Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Christ872

Old and New - question

I may have typed it in wrong, but I'm not getting any hits on my searches.

Does anyone have any idea about combining one of the new Standard Series - Octoberfest Lager and one of the old Octoberfest Vienna Lager???

I would tend to believe that they would be similar...but different. Hopefully not too different.

Also...would this combo be a good setting for me to have about a 10 oz Steep of Special Roast??

I doubt that the HME is going to be much different. Octoberfest/Marzen has plenty of Vienna malt in it.

What's your volume going to be? I'd only do the whole 10oz of Special Roast if you plan on making a 4 gallon batch. It's a nice malt (delicious in ESB along with Honey malt and 40L crystal), but too much can bring quite a bit of biscuity flavor to the party.

If you can control your ferment temps, rehydrate a packet of Nottingham and pitch/ferment starting in the 55-57*F range (finish up at 66*F) to get it as close to a lager as you can w/o using true lager yeast. If using the MB yeast, I'd keep it in the low/mid-60's if at all possible for the first 5-7 days.

Big Floyd~

Thanks!! That's good notes.

Yeah, although they're two different companies...I don't think the hops or malt makeup would be different enough to make a difference.

I can definitely drop the Special Roast to 6 or 7 oz. I do want the biscuit flavor...but I want it more as an additional flavor than a domineering one. I would tend to think Vienna side-by-side with the toasty biscuit of the Special Roast would work (hoping so).

I'm not using the Mr. Beer yeast here. I may have a sachet of Nottingham...will have to look. If I don't I was going to go with a California WLP001 as a clean yeast which will let the flavors of the beer do their own work. I can probably get my temps in the 65-68-ish range.

Thanks for the help.

If 68*F is your absolute max ferment temp (as measured on the LBK or bucket), you're OK using Nottingham. Otherwise, I'd avoid it like the plague. It's a wonderful yeast when used colder, but can toss of some funky off-flavors if allowed to get over 68*F.

If you use the WLP001 (same Chico yeast as US-05), aerate the heck out of your wort as you should when using any liquid yeast. Making a yeast starter is a good idea for any batch over 2.5 gallons. Just one vial is not really enough yeast for a 4-5 gallon batch.

Does anyone have any idea about combining one of the new Standard Series - Octoberfest Lager and one of the old Octoberfest Vienna Lager???

OMG - that is like mixing matter and antimatter. They will not explode if left alone. You just may end up with a decent Octoberfest by the end of September if you brew it immediately, though.