Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
full_too_pale

Thinking of converting to 12 oz glass bottles.

I am getting really sick of testing my PET bottles, since I only have 8 per batch, and every test hasn't been ready yet. Obviously with the 12 oz bottles I will have more to test and it won't be as big of a waste if the beer is not ready. What are the other benefits of using 12 oz glass bottles? Does it take less time to carbonate and condition, since it is less than half the amount of the PET bottles? What is better 12 oz or 16 oz glass bottles? By the way, my Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner with 2 LME's is almost ready. I think 1 more week. I will post pictures. Thanks!!

I don't think that 12s carb any faster. And you can't judge by squeezing, they're always hard. But I use them, I only did one batch with PETs. I agree with your test reasoning, and I don't generally drink beer a liter at a time any way. Before you buy homebrew 12s, either clean some craft beers you've been drinking, or ask a beer distributor for empties. Mine lets me have them for the 5c deposit. Don't use twist offs, and some brewers don't like Bass or other double lipped bottles.

There are many pros and cons to glass vs plastic. I use some of each and various sizes. The size of the bottle doesn't influence the carb time as far as I've ever found. Plastic is kinda nice for squeeziing to see if it's carbing. I use a few plastic soda pop bottles, they work good. Glass has a more professional look when gifting or serving guests.
Having all your beer in 1L bottles doesn't work out very good, they're just too big for most occasions.

Though I rarely bottle now, I would always throw 2-12 oz glass bottles into the mix when bottling and used those at about 3 weeks to test my beers. But, I'm not a fan of anything larger than the 220z bombers because that's usually enough for me if I'm out somewhere and driving.

If you wait 4 weeks, "testing" is not really necessary for most brews. ;) But 33.8 ounce bottles I don't really like and use few of them. Mostly 16.9 ounce bottles when I use PET.

I switched to bottles in January, and do one 1/2 liter each batch to test for carbonation via firmness.

If you're going to glass, look on Craigslist or run an ad on Craigslist, you can often get a lot for deposit only (assuming your state has a deposit). Do NOT use screwtops.

You also need a bottle capper - think about spending a bit more for a bench capper instead of a wing capper. You could also use a bottle tree and a vinatore - one to sanitize and one to hold 45 or more bottles. All in my signature if you want to see specifics.

Lots of discussion on the forum about what bottles work best, what to stay away from. Use the Search capability described below to find them, it works better than the forum search.

I have always used bottles, so I have no negative comments on plastic. Call me an old fart, but I believe beer should be in glass. Yes, I know, it is served in a glass..... it's my thing.
Go 4 weeks and unless it is a high ABV or has a lot of ingredients that need to meld, you'll be all set. I brew 5 gal batches, so I have 50 +/- to play with. It's nice to try one at 4 weeks, 12 weeks, etc to taste how the beer ages.... I feel it's an important part of learning about brewing.

"full_too_pale" post=385975 said:

I am getting really sick of testing my PET bottles, since I only have 8 per batch, and every test hasn't been ready yet.

Yeah, I can understand that frustration. It gets better though, once you have a decent pipeline going, so maybe you can take comfort in knowing that.

What are the other benefits of using 12 oz glass bottles?

I think this is basically a personal preference (glass vs. PET). I would agree with others that 1L is a bit much. There are some drawbacks and additional costs with glass, obviously. You'd need bottle caps, and a capper. Also, glass can't be taken to the beach, if that matters to you.

Does it take less time to carbonate and condition, since it is less than half the amount of the PET bottles?

No, same amount of time. Of course, you have to adjust the sugar levels for the bottle size (unless you batch prime).

What is better 12 oz or 16 oz glass bottles?

Personal preference. For me, 16 oz is the way to go, but I spent a lot of time in Europe during my early drinking years, and am used to this size and find it perfect.

Other's have suggested using spent (non screw-top) beer bottles. I have another, since I see you are from Michigan. Go out and get a couple bottles of Town Club soda pop (ACO, most Kroger's now, etc.). These are 16oz glass bottles with a reusable metal cap. Then you won't need to invest in a bottle capper and caps straight away, and you can buy Town Club as singles. They are clear glass, though, so you'd have to be a bit more careful about exposing them to direct sunlight. I'm not suggesting these bottles as a final solution, but it would get you going for now with only a $1 investment.

You can't easily do a homebrew pour with 1 liter bottle. Your second glass will be full of sediment.

Easy to test.

Size with bottle = what you normally pour.

You can buy extra bottles with free beer in them.

Another option if you simply want to downsize is to use any 12oz (or whatever) plastic bottle that held a carbonated beverage. Do NOT use water, Gatorade, or other non-carbonated beverage bottles as they usually are not robust enough to contain the pressure. I use a majority of glass these days just because I have a poopton of them laying around but usually bottle 1-2 per batch in plastic to test for carbonation. Just remember that from time to time you will need to replace the caps just like the 1L bottles. That has to be in my opinion one of the biggest downfalls of plastic as you never know just when to replace them until you end up with flat beer.

+1 To the comment about sediment in the 2nd pour from a PET bottle. I have always used glass, very easy to come by with friends and family helping out. But I too will try to use 1 plastic bottle per batch to check for carbination.

i use both 12 oz glass repurposed bottles.. and 1 liter repurposed carbonated water bottles. while the pet bottles are clear, it isnt a problem for me since i keep my beer dark until i drink them and out of sunlight.

the pet bottles i use have little divots in the bottom that trap the yeast crud nicely.

the plus about pet is no bottle bombs. the minus... in time reusing the caps can give you a bad seal.

the plus about glass is convenient size for drinking. brown glass keeps uv out better. the minus, there is a slight chance of bottle bombs. you end up also with having to sacrifice the last qtr inch of trub in the bottle unless you like drinking yeast. another minus... bottles take longer to fill. for a 5 gallon batch, fill 52 glass bottles or 18 one liter pet bottles?

i just use glass 12oz bottles. i just pop a top after 2 weeks and call it a carb check. :whistle:

I prefer glass bottles cause when I trade bottles of homebrew with co-workers, they all use 12oz brown glass bottles. If you enter your beers in a competition, all 12oz brown glass bottles. If someone gave me a plastic bottle, I would be surprised, since I haven't had that happen yet. I like to mix it up, 22oz brown glass bottles for home, 12oz brown glass bottles to give away or trade.

Bless you my son! Your conversion will only bring you saintly brews.

I gave up on PET bottles as well. They deform and make it difficult to get good seals, even with new caps. I have only used 12 ozers, though. I am happy with them. I usually get 20 clear bottles and 2 to 3 trub bottles out of a LBK batch.

Being a noob and reading about PET vrs glass, I decided on getting some 12oz glass.

I took Rick beer's advice (thanks!) on posting on craigslist.
and also searching there...took only about a week and I found a recycle center (in PA there is no deposit, etc)
And I found unlimited supply of craft 12oz and 22oz bombers and also wine bottles wince I am starting that too.

So I picked myself up 24 cases of 12 oz glass for $2 a case (24)
$48 for 576 +/- 12oz bottles.

Lets just say i am set for a bit.
I will prob still do 1-2 MB PET per batch for carb check and the nice viewing etc.
But with 32 PET liter size, they will last a bit

glass 12oz to me is beneficial moreso than PET.
Just PET is cheaper if shipping, etc and cheaper for MB to sell

Glass bottles carb in about a quarter of the time. I think it is because the CO2 doesn't have to inflate the bottles before it is forced into the beer. My beers in glass bottles are always fully carbed 1 week after bottling. The other advantage is you will get 22 bottles from a Mr Beer batch. Plus you can take them places without carrying an open container.

"SelfFueled" post=386178 said:

Being a noob and reading about PET vrs glass, I decided on getting some 12oz glass.

I took Rick beer's advice (thanks!) on posting on craigslist.
and also searching there...took only about a week and I found a recycle center (in PA there is no deposit, etc)
And I found unlimited supply of craft 12oz and 22oz bombers and also wine bottles wince I am starting that too.

So I picked myself up 24 cases of 12 oz glass for $2 a case (24)
$48 for 576 +/- 12oz bottles.

Lets just say i am set for a bit.
I will prob still do 1-2 MB PET per batch for carb check and the nice viewing etc.
But with 32 PET liter size, they will last a bit

glass 12oz to me is beneficial moreso than PET.
Just PET is cheaper if shipping, etc and cheaper for MB to sell

Glad it worked for you. I got 20+ cases also, ended up selling what I did not need, ending up with 10 cases of glasses bottles, 16 1 liter PET and 32 1/2 liter PET. Right now I have 10+ cases of beer across all of them, with enough empties to brew about 5 gallons, but I'm not brewing again until early Fall, don't need to and basement is 70 degrees.

"Gymrat" post=386179 said:

Glass bottles carb in about a quarter of the time.

Yep, if you squeeze the glass bottles you will find they are hard in no time. :lol:

I made the switch to glass recently, I like it better. Opening a PET bottle was sometimes just more than I wanted to drink. The 12's have definitely lasted longer for me vs the bigger bottles too. Then the worry of scratching up the PET bottles when washing/cleaning them is gone also.