Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SlickRick07

US 05 Yeast Activity

How soon does a typical Krausem form
For US 05? I'm fermenting an Oktoberfest and have no prior experience with US 05.

For me, it depends. I use this often both dry, reydrated and washed. If I use washed yeast in a starter, I get activity in 6-12 hours normally. Dry, it may take up to 24 hours for me to see some good activity.
Rehydrated, I see it in about 18-24 hours.

But as you may know there are many variables that will change this.

"Beer-lord" post=386097 said:

For me, it depends. I use this often both dry, reydrated and washed. If I use washed yeast in a starter, I get activity in 6-12 hours normally. Dry, it may take up to 24 hours for me to see some good activity.
Rehydrated, I see it in about 18-24 hours.

But as you may know there are many variables that will change this.

+1 And I have seen different lag times based on the differences in the wort itself...

ABV, malt/grain types, temperature, etc.

I usually don't panic until about 60-72 hours after pitching...

And even then, I don't panic...

If nothing is happening by then, no krausen, no trub, no visible activity, then I consider re-pitching.

When I panic is when the pipeline runs dry! ;)

:)

It varies by brew. I just made an Octoberfest with it and there was krausen on the day after I brewed it, but a lot of krausen on the second day after brewing. That does not mean you will have the same results since I was not using a Mr. B Octoberfest. I used a Munich malt and a hop boil.

We have been using a lot of 05 lately but we are adding nutrient and whirlfoc towards the end of the boil.

It hasn't threatened to blow the lid off of any batches yet but I'd say the activity is within a few hours.

We are aiming for 66F where you were aiming for 62F for your Octoberfest so it may be slower.

We are using it for the single hop Blondes we have been doing though and there may not be as much for it to work on.

We chose it for not giving a yeast flavor profile to the single hop beers we were doing.

Don't know if that helps just our S05 observations.

US-05 is the washed yeast I use. With a starter, I get activity in a coupke hours pitched at 68*. It has always been a very active yeast for me, where I always use a blow off tube when I use it.

The shortest lag time I've ever had was pitching a new brew onto a yeast cake of US-05. just a couple of hours and it was kickin butt and takin names! Conversely, the longest lag time I've had was with US-05 as well. the first time I used it, I didn't rehydrate it, and it took almost 24 hours to be active.

Thanks for the input. I ended up getting a nice Krausen going in the 18-24 hour range. This is the first yeast that I've tried to control the temps by using a tub, water, and ice bombs. I'm looking at fermenting this Oktoberfest for a good 3, possibly 4 weeks to give it all the opportunity to get a nice FG. Do I need to continue to keep these temps controlled the entire 3-4 week period? Typically my ambient temp in the basement is a solid 69 as is. I've kept the water temps down from 58-61 thus far. I'm out of that first 3 day period of fermentation.

Temp control s ost importamt for the period of primary fermentation... Usually anywhere from 3-7 days...

So I always figure about a week...

You can keep controlling the temp where you want it for the whole 21+ days if you want...

Else you could do what I do and let it rise to 68-69 (which is where my house usualy is, and sometimes as warm as 71-72)...

Either way, you should be fine...

If you keep it cooler, let it climb the last 3-4 days though so the yeast get more active and finish their clean-up activities.

:)

I just started a 5gallon batch of American wheat using the us -05. Activity started within 24 hours and had blowoff at 36 hours that lasted about 18hours and then it went quiet. Is that normal? I'm holding temp at 66 degrees.

Brew Ha. All yeast react diffrent with diffrent temps I have brewed a wheat beer with us 05 and used a blow off hose for the first week in the fermenter mine also had blow off aftert the first week I replaced the hose with a ferm lock the beer turned out great. So I'm saying this is normal. RDWHAHB

I did a SMaSH with 6lbs of 2row. Rehydrated a sachel of 05. Didnt check on it for a day. Went down to look and saw a few bubbles and thought it was just starting. Turns out it was just finishing. 5%abv and never saw any active fermentation or krausen. Dont blink.

"Photon Brewing" post=387488 said:

I did a SMaSH with 6lbs of 2row. Rehydrated a sachel of 05. Didnt check on it for a day. Went down to look and saw a few bubbles and thought it was just starting. Turns out it was just finishing. 5%abv and never saw any active fermentation or krausen. Dont blink.

;) See what happens when you don't stand around all day pervin' the yeast? They get the job done

I've used US-05 and have gotten no krausen, but plenty of trub.
Most times for me it takes less than 24 hours pitching dry.

With good healthy fermentation after a week your FG will probably be as low as it is going to get. The second week the yeast is just cleaning things up.

"SlickRick07" post=386095 said:

How soon does a typical Krausem form
For US 05? I'm fermenting an Oktoberfest and have no prior experience with US 05.

Ok since no one else has I guess I'll be the wise guy to point out that you can't technically make an Octoberfest with 05 bc Ofest is a lager and 05 is an ale yeast. Sorry couldn't resist. Beyond that 05 is my favorite ale yeast and it typically takes off within mere hours and finishes quickly. If you make a mini starter the morning of your brew day it launches even faster.

@jbags, I realize that traditionally an Oktoberfest is a lager but I'm simply not set up to control my temps in that manor yet. The US 05 yeast is one I chose due to its ability to be a clean ale yeast. Using ice bombs and tubs of water I've kept the fermentation temps in the low 60's. I've had a strong Krausen for the past 7 days straight. I've been expecting it to subside but it's still pretty heavy at this point. I'm hopeful that means this US-05 is really breaking down all of the fermentables. I'm still crossing my fingers for that FG number os 1.012.

Ha! Yes azmark is right, call it what you want. I was just being a smart@ss.

As for temp control, I picked up a second hand frig off Craigslist for under a hundred bucks and with an inexpensive Johnson controller you're off and lagering. Drop a couple taps on the front and you have a party kegerator. I can't keep the deadbeat mooching friends out of my garage.