Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
lionsfan7705

RDWHAHB

Easier said than done ... If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any! Just took hydro reading from my
Summer wheat beer, that I must say has gone flawlessly, and according to plan to this point ... Then out of the spigot and into the test jar came an earwig (pincher bug) as the kids would call it ... What the BEEP!!???

By the way reading came out at 1.005 fg ... 1.040 was sg ... Also tasted anyway ... Tasted good, to my surprise!

How worried should I be? Has anyone else had this or something similar?

Freaking out here!!!!!!!!

never had an earwig come out but i have had a brew finish a lot lower than i expected. it has not happened since. i remain hopeful. i think the yeast just gets a little happier sometimes. as for the bug, just gross not gonna kill you. unless it gets in your ear... ;)

Not surprised that it finished low ... It started low too ... Probably temp issues while testing ... 64* at sg 67* at fg
67* during fermentation ... Still finished at 4.59 abv that LHBS said it would ... Just worried about spoiled batch because of the guy that thought it was a good idea to taste it before me ... He died happy though, I'm almost jealous!

he may not've been inside just crawled up the spigot got lost and died. hey they're bugs if they had ears they would rub together. of course he could get lost in a spigot :laugh:

Pincher bug you say. Hate to break it to you , but that batch is done for. After bottling it (to proper carb levels of course) you are to ship one bottle each to a different Borg member till gone. It is the only way to appease us the bug lords and keep this from happening again.
or you could just RDWHAHB :chug:

"Inkleg" post=386162 said:

After bottling it (to proper carb levels of course) you are to ship one bottle each to a different Borg member till gone. It is the only way to appease us the bug lords and keep this from happening again.

From this day forth, the above shall be forever know as "Solution #1".
If someone has a problem, we can simply just suggest they follow Solution #1.

Do I have a second?
So let it be written, so let it be done.

The Borg has spoken ... Rdwhahb ... Still a little gross to think about though ... Bottling Sunday ... And just got done with a couple home brews ... MB Irish Stout ... Mmmmm

"Beer-lord" post=386164 said:

After bottling it (to proper carb levels of course) you are to ship one bottle each to a different Borg member till gone. It is the only way to appease us the bug lords and keep this from happening again.

Do I have a second?

I like "Solution #1". It's a good thing for the rest of the Borg I didn't misspell it like this.

After bottling it (to proper carb levels of course) you are to ship one bottle each to a different Borg member till gone. It is the only way to appease us the bug lords Beer-lords :laugh: and keep this from happening again.

Before you throw out the bug you really should squeeze any stolen beer from the carcass back into the LBK.

"Inkleg" post=386168 said:

Do I have a second?

I like "Solution #1". It's a good thing for the rest of the Borg I didn't misspell it like this.

After bottling it (to proper carb levels of course) you are to ship one bottle each to a different Borg member till gone. It is the only way to appease us the bug lords Beer-lords :laugh: and keep this from happening again.

As Senior Bug Control Manager (a title I just bestowed upon myself, but not without assuming it's reasonable, after all), I decree that Solution #1be amended to assure that FedoraDave always gets a bottle.

I mean, c'mon, I'm a professional.

"FedoraDave" post=386186 said:

"Inkleg" post=386168 said:

Do I have a second?

As Senior Bug Control Manager (a title I just bestowed upon myself, but not without assuming it's reasonable, after all), I decree that Solution #1be amended to assure that FedoraDave always gets a bottle.

I mean, c'mon, I'm a professional.

sounds like a plan :laugh:

I had an earwig in the spigot (on the LBK!, come on!) last week. I bottled using a siphon. I posted too.

Just fill a spray bottle with One Step or Star San and give it a squirt for good measures. Probably wont do much since I am guessing the alcohol will kill and bugs but will make you feel better. But this will sure allow for a creative beer name as well as allowing you more beer for yourself when you tell the story and they mysteriously stop at one.

Just a little extra protein. In fact, earwigs are considered a delicacy in many cultures.

Earwig in the beer. Is that like the worm in the Mescal? Is that the new trend in homebrew?

I always turn my spray bottle of Star San upside down and give the spigot a few squirts on any full LBK before I turn it on. If the little guy was still alive and just having a nap in a perceived safe hidey hole that should have sent it packing. :laugh:

PS (For The Hat) I just discovered that a quick shot of Star San on your kitchen counter tops when the temps hit triple digits and the bugs start trying to invade your air conditioned home will kill ants crawling all over your kitchen counter tops next to the bacon grease container. :whistle:

1st time batch prime went almost according to plan on this brew! Just a learning curve mistake, beer just sat on priming solution after racking to slimline while I sanitized 24 bottles, oops!
@ Jim Johnson earwig ale is tasteless and un-original ... I LOVE IT!

Burmeister Rd Earwig Ale!

P.S. I did sanitize spigot on both LBK's before racking to slimline!

As long as it did not sit for a couple days on the priming solution, it will be fine. The yeasties r fast, but not that fast, it will be fine.

It be good then. Not a problem. :party:

"lionsfan7705" post=386902 said:

Yah, kinda figured that it wouldn't start carbing that fast!

Thank you!

Your welcome