Mr.Beer Community
Inkleg

Pliny the Elder

On todays list of things to do.
After this goes into keg/bottles, how long before drinking? 2 no more than 3 weeks? What are the Borgs thoughts.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Pliny the Elder
Brewer: Naked Cat Brewery
Asst Brewer: Those damn cats!
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.96 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.54 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.55 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 167.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 85.9 %
10.4 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.0 %
10.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 6.1 %
3.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 90. Hop 5 117.9 IBUs
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 45. Hop 6 25.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 24.2 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
2.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 11 -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

Add the 1oz dry hops for 12-14 day total.
Add the .25oz dry hops with 5 days remaining

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs 4.8 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 40.32 qt of water at 159.0 F 152.1 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort

I have this planned for sometime in August I hope and can't wait to hear how this and Blackduck's come out.

I think the fresher, the better. I may use a secondary for this one but still ferment 3 weeks, keg and let sit one week out and 1 week in to carb up then drink. I'm sure after about a month, it will start to loose some aroma. I don't think a second week sitting will do all that much too it.

Wish I could brew today but I'm helping a brother move.
Have fun and get to it!

Zymurgy published the actual recipe for pliney. There are some minor differences. I can send it to you later if you would like a copy.

I bought the recipe kit from Austin Homebrew a little while back when they were offering the buy one kit get one free deal. Their ingredients are slightly different than yours, especially the hop schedule. I'll post the recipe here later for comparison. I won't get to mine for a couple of weeks. The fermenter is currently occupied.

As for time in the bottle. I will most likely let them sit for 2 weeks after bottling then drop one in the fridge for a carbonation and aroma test. I would imagine they would be ready to rip at that point. Then they will officially be moved from the conditioning phase to the consumption phase.

How do you guys plan on adding all those hops....sacks, spider, or commando? Or some other technique? I haven't made up my mind yet. I also might secondary too. Just not sure if it will be worth the extra step though.

Jeff...I'm confused on your dry hop schedule. Maybe BeerSmith cut some of the numbers off when you transferred the file. I can't tell how many days dry hop additions are for.

In the actual recipe from the brewer there are 2 dry hop additions.

"Gymrat" post=386216 said:

That's what I thought too. I can't remember for sure, but I thought there was a 7 day addition and a 12 day additiion.

"Gymrat" post=386216 said:

That's what I thought too. I can't remember for sure, but I thought there was a 7 day addition and a 12 day addition.

Did you see that??? Twice. Sorry about the double post!!!

Mash just settled in at 151°
The 1oz are 12-14 days total and the .25 are with 5 days left in the dry hop.

"Beer-lord" post=386207 said:

I have this planned for sometime in August I hope and can't wait to hear how this and Blackduck's come out.

I think the fresher, the better. I may use a secondary for this one but still ferment 3 weeks, keg and let sit one week out and 1 week in to carb up then drink. I'm sure after about a month, it will start to loose some aroma. I don't think a second week sitting will do all that much too it.

Wish I could brew today but I'm helping a brother move.
Have fun and get to it!

Jeff, I think a week in the keg at room temp and then to fridge and co2 for another week would be a good bet.
+1 the secondary, I know when I did this recipe the first time I put it in a secondary and then started dry hopping and it was the best beer I've made to date. Second time around I didn't use a secondary and it wasn't as good.

"Inkleg" post=386233 said:

Mash just settled in at 151°
The 1oz are 12-14 days total and the .25 are with 5 days left in the dry hop.

I would love to be there when you do the hops boil. Just thinking of the smell is releasing endorphins in my brain and my chops are dripping thinking about the taste of that first pour! Happy brewing!

Looks like a great batch, I might have to try it this fall when I start back up!

It's in the fermenter at 64° on half an 05 yeast cake from a Pale Ale I kegged. Mash held at 151° for the whole 75 minutes. Sparged with 2 gallons of 165° water. Came in over at 1.077

Plinysack.jpg[/attachment]

Wow...that's awesome. And your gravity sample is already that clear. My samples are never that clear. Man that's gonna be a good beer. After the hop sack dries you could also hang it from the trailer hitch on the truck....kind of like the bulls sack that some people hang....you know the ones I'm talking about.

I plan on doing the early hops commando and the rest in sacks.

Great stuff Jeff. Can't wait to hear how it comes out.

I LOVE pitching on a yeast cake. Pitched at 3:30 and the air lock is going like mad. :banana:

I plan quite a few beers this way.
A IIPA OG of 1.077, pitched on 1/2 of a 1.042 OG Pale Ale cake.
A Imperial Stout OG of 1.075 pitched on to 1/2 of a 1.055 OG Porter.
Works like a charm.

Sorry Paul, :( I'm kegging this one. I won't have any in bo..tl.. t. s..h..p :whistle:
Oh crap, :ohmy: I sent you a bottle of Belas didn't I, never mind. :huh:

Guilty!
I'm sure it'll be damn good just as every one of the ones you have been kind to share with me were.

Damn... I need to hold one of your cats for ransom LOL.

EDIT: Oh yeah... I have one of your naked cats in suspended animation in my fridge. You want it back? We can meet at Mt. Vesuvius for the exchange.

EDIT EDIT: Don't make me send you a whisker in a box.

"mashani" post=386405 said:

EDIT EDIT: Don't make me send you a whisker in a box.

Nice try Dave, Sphynx cats don't have hair or whiskers. :P
I'm sure a few of these will go around, but to whom. :whistle:
I could send a bottle to someone who can get the real thing. They could do a side by side and see how it compares. But wait, if they can get the real thing, why have they not sent me one yet? :huh:

Speaking of which does anyone out on the east coast know if they get Pliny out this far? We used to get it on occasion in Colorado but you had to be at the store or have something reserved in advance and as such I have never had it. I may have to bust out the clone recipe myself just to try to get an idea of what this mythical elixer even tastes like :)

Enjoy yours and let us know how it turns out
jeff

On todays list of things to do.
After this goes into keg/bottles, how long before drinking? 2 no more than 3 weeks? What are the Borgs thoughts.

For kegging, you should be able to drink it as soon as it's carbonated. I haven't bottled (except from the keg) for a long time, but I thought my IPAs of that gravity range were always at their best after 6-8 weeks when bottle conditioned.

Here is Vinnie Cilurzo's scaled down recipe, since others have mentioned it:

http://community.mrbeer.com/media/kunena/attachments/7344/1PlinytheElderclonePDF.pdf

"BlackDuck" post=386484 said:

I'm in Ohio and they don't ship here. It's a bummer.

I've never seen one IRL either.

"Manowarfan1" post=386476 said:

Speaking of which does anyone out on the east coast know if they get Pliny out this far? We used to get it on occasion in Colorado but you had to be at the store or have something reserved in advance and as such I have never had it. I may have to bust out the clone recipe myself just to try to get an idea of what this mythical elixer even tastes like :)

Enjoy yours and let us know how it turns out
jeff

Russian River, like some other craft breweries, has contracted their distribution range quite a lot because of complaints of unavailability in their local region. My understanding is that it's only available now on the west coast. I made the recipe I posted above a little bit ago. It was very yummy to start, but after about four or five months, the bitterness became over harsh, and much of the hop aroma and flavor was gone. Could have been process related, but since I haven't made it since, I really can't say.

I'm in Georgia and I can get it online and delivered but it cost alot for shipping, so I only order it once or twice a year. If anyone wants the web site just private message me.

Jeff et al:
Here is the recipe (in BeerSmith) for the Pliny clone from Austin Homebrew Supply. I have it set for 65% efficiency as I am still battling those numbers. (I'm gonna crush a little finer this time to see what happens). Since I have the ingredients for two batches, I'm going to follow their instructions on the first batch and see where it comes out at. They also call for a partial boil volume with top up water into the fermenter. Their instructions say to sparge a total boil volume of 6.25 gallons. This means I'll need to top off with appx 2.5 gallons of water. I have also not decided whether to secondary this right before the dry hop. Anyway...here it is:

Recipe: Pliny The Elder Clone
Brewer: Antler Brewing
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.26 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.93 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 196.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.5 %
10.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.3 %
10.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.3 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 6.9 %
3.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.30 %] - Boil 90. Hop 5 146.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.30 %] - Boil 45. Hop 6 26.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 23.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Chinook [12.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.25 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.75 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.30 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Simcoe [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.88 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.53gal, 3.13gal) of 168.0 F water

Since I plan on brewing this in about 4-6 weeks, I propose that we do an exchange on these. Yes I know since they'll be bottled at different times and they should be enjoyed sooner than later, that I will be the last of the bunch to brew this but I would personally enjoy drinking the work of other brewers. :lol:

The end of this month I'll be doing Sublimely Self Righteous then I hope to get to Pliny. Just got life in the way.

"Beer-lord" post=386734 said:

Since I plan on brewing this in about 4-6 weeks, I propose that we do an exchange on these. Yes I know since they'll be bottled at different times and they should be enjoyed sooner than later, that I will be the last of the bunch to brew this but I would personally enjoy drinking the work of other brewers. :lol:

The end of this month I'll be doing Sublimely Self Righteous then I hope to get to Pliny. Just got life in the way.

My brew schedule will be around the 4 week mark too. I'm in on the exchange.

Just in case, I'm going to brew this recipe which looks very close to what everyone else is. I'll probably do 6 gallons instead of 5 since I'm sure I'll loose alot due to hop funk.

[attachment=14232]1PlinytheElderclonePDF.pdf[/attachment]

Paul, I believe that was what I used to get the malt % for what I loaded into BeerSmith.

Chris, my BeerSmith is set to 70% efficiency.

Two reasons I overshot and ended up with 1.077 instead of 1.072 or 70 depending on what you go by.
I added and extra 3/4 pound of 2 row and Carapils and also sparged with 2 gallons of 165 degree water. Any way you look at it, it will be good.

I like to refer to my beers as "want to be" and not clones anyway and y'all know I like to support the shipping industry.

Why are you guys doing clones when the brewer has made the actual recipe to make the real deal so readily available?

Roger, the one I linked to is reported to be the one Vinnie gave out. I think the one Chris is using can't be the exact copy because it's and Austin Homebrew kit and I don't think they can sell the recipe unless given permission. At least that's what I've read.

I'm betting they are all awesome.

"Gymrat" post=386773 said:

Why are you guys doing clones when the brewer has made the actual recipe to make the real deal so readily available?

Roger, understand even with the recipe and if we had the actual yeast from Russian River, we are all making clones and not the actual beer.

Don't get me wrong. I make some pretty good beer, but every one is a clone/wanta be.

Ok, 2nd dry hop went in on 7-25 and I dropped the temp to 40°. Put a hop sack on the end of my tube and kegged it Wednesday 7-31. Since it was cold I just put it in the Keezer and turned on the gas. FG was 1.012 so ABV of about 8.5%. The hydro sample was amazing.

Let my wife try the sample "How can you like this" she said.

"How can you not" was my reply.

If this forum goes to hell in a handbasket. Paul, Ron, Chris and David I've got you covered.

Thank goodness I wrote your address down too..so your covered on the flipside.   I can't wait to give these Pliny clones a try.  Since my Belgian decided to take it's time, I'm two weeks out from brewing my clone.  

I've got your addresses, too. I'm trying to get my hands on some Pliny now. A buddy picked up two last week while I was traveling...but they're gone already :-) 

Yeah, they're pretty disgusting. I hope they didn't make you sick.  Next time, don't drink them but send them to me......I can use the empty bottles to put good beer in.

Sadly, I didn't partake in those. If I get some soon I'll let you know, too.

Holy GREAT glass of goodness. It's only been on the gas for 5 days, but man-o-man I can see what all the fuss is about.

Inkleg said:Holy GREAT glass of goodness. It's only been on the gas for 5 days, but man-o-man I can see what all the fuss is about.

Man...I wish my iPad had smellovision and tastovision!!!!

BlackDuck said:Man...I wish my iPad had smellovision and tastovision!!!!

It will in about 2 weeks Chris.