Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JLScar

First Batch - 2 weeks fermenting ... keep going?

Recommended Posts

Today is Day 15 for my Czech Pilsner. I have been reading some posts saying 3 weeks. Of course, I am anxious but I want to do it right.

Should I wait another week? Should I let the temp raise naturally over the next week or continue changing the frozen bottles out?

I was also planning on putting it in the fridge for 2- 3 days before priming. Is that a good idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd wait another week, good things are worth the wait.

Not sure about your temps, more info needed.

Cold-crashing (putting in fridge prior to priming) is generally a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

after the first two weeks, it most llikely won't hurt to let it go to room temp...provided you don't live on Mercury... or Death Valley.
As for cold crashing... yeah, that won't hurt at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put a CD case or two under the front of the keg, which will cause the trub to stay away from the nozzle, then, when you cold crash and bottle, keep them there.

When I cold crash (fruit and heavy sediment brews) I find I barely leave anything in the keg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my ambient temps have been staying between 58 and 65 ... I don't have a temp on the LBK yet (4 - 6 weeks). It went up to 70 when I was out of town for 3 days last week.

I will plan on waiting until next Saturday and cold crashing .. that s 2 - 3 days in the fridge, right?

thanks for the quick replies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"JLScar" post=386224 said:

Today is Day 15 for my Czech Pilsner. I have been reading some posts saying 3 weeks. Of course, I am anxious but I want to do it right.

Should I wait another week? Should I let the temp raise naturally over the next week or continue changing the frozen bottles out?

I was also planning on putting it in the fridge for 2- 3 days before priming. Is that a good idea?

The Hat (i think?) tells people to let it come up a few degrees. Apparently this allows the yeasties to eat stuff they didn't at a lower temp. I still am too new to give personal experience on the matter though.

You probably want to consider where you are at in the yeast's ideal temp range before letting it warm up though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"JLScar" post=386249 said:

my ambient temps have been staying between 58 and 65 ... I don't have a temp on the LBK yet (4 - 6 weeks). It went up to 70 when I was out of town for 3 days last week.
I will plan on waiting until next Saturday and cold crashing .. that s 2 - 3 days in the fridge, right?

You got it right...if you are bottling on Saturday, fridge it on Wednesday or Thursday with the cd cases under the spigot end of the lbk tilted it back so it helps the trub settle away from the spigot, thus keeping your bottling cleaner except for the trub bottle which is usually your very last bottle and it should be of minimal trub even then.

also yours temps have been pretty good but you might want to bring the temps up for the last few days...somewhere near 68ish would be my suggestion. will help the yeasties finish their work for these last few days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...