Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
matth

Crashed too soon, now what?

I cold crashed a batch of Full-Moon Marzen, and it may have been too soon. I typically ferment for 3-weeks, I do not have/use hydrometer.

Anyway, I didn't check the calendar and in my hurry to get this batch bottled and start on the next, today I discovered I cold crashed this one after only 11 days, instead of my usual 18-21 days.

Now what?

Do I go ahead and bottle, or do I take it out hoping it'll wake up and finish the job? With the added honey, I'm afraid the job wasn't done yet. I did pitch with two packs of fromunda.

Your advice?

It may already be done fermenting, but you won't know for sure unless you pick up a hydrometer and take a gravity reading. Never dealt with a situation like this. Maybe bring it back out to room temp for a few days. The biggest worry is that if its not done fermenting, then when you go to bottle, the yeast will still be producing co2, and then some more when it consumes the priming sugar so you may have bottle bombs.

Anyone else in the Borg have some extra input?

It will wake up if you remove it. As Philm00x said, if you don't have a thermometer, take it out and give it a day to warm up, don't count the frig days or today, and then go the 3 full weeks.

"RickBeer" post=386240 said:

It will wake up if you remove it. As Philm00x said, if you don't have a thermometer, take it out and give it a day to warm up, don't count the frig days or today, and then go the 3 full weeks.

+1 The yeast will get active again at room temp and will finish the job for you!

:)

Crashing dropped the yeast to the bottom and put them to sleep. :freeze: It didn't kill them. I cold crash every batch to 35-36*F for 5-7 days and (after racking off the beer) harvest that yeast for future batches.

Simply let it naturally come back up to the upper 60's then gently rock it a little to get some yeast back into suspension so they can finish eating any fermentable sugars that remain. When they're done, crash it again. :chug:

"BigFloyd" post=386316 said:

Simply let it naturally come back up to the upper 60's then gently rock it a little to get some yeast back into suspension so they can finish eating any fermentable sugars that remain. When they're done, crash it again. :chug:

+1 The yeast will become active again when they hit temperature.

Given the simplicity and low cost of a hydrometer, it's worthwhile to get one.

I'm betting it's done fermenting. You can easily ferment a wort in 10 days with an OG of 1.070. Which is about what the Marzen is.

Unless you prefer to have that extra week for 'settling out' I wouldn't even sweat it. 

Everyone in here is assuming it's not done and saying to let it warm up and keep going. Which is 100% true. And I would do the same.

However I think it's done unless your fermenting temps where really low.