Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dibs

DMS and boiling with lid

I know there are a few threads on this subject, but I just want to make sure I understand. I am stuck on my electric stove for now and ever since I upgraded to a 32 qt pot i've needed the lid to help my boil. The last batch I had tasted a little like corn after 2 weeks in fermenter. I kept on closing and opening periodically.

This brew I am planning tonight will require less water to boil in my BIAB setup and I should be able to sustain a boil with the lid off. Getting there still takes a while though. If I leave lid on to achieve a rolling boil before my hop additions, there will almost certainly be wort that drips back down from the lid. Is this a problem if i plan to take the lid off for the whole boil? Will that "DMS producing" water just re-evaporate back into the air when i reach a boil?

I read somewhere that if you don't cool your wort fast enough it can give you corn flavors.

How quickly do you get yours down to pitch temp?

That is an entirely different problem I have, but a good point. Took me about 40 minutes with an ice bath and sticking the LBK in my empty freezer at full blast for about 15 minutes. Got it in the mid 70s.

I was just wondering about the DMS since i wasn't aware of it before my last brew and am pretty sure my lid caused the off flavor. I can make sure to leave it off for the boil this time, but will it be bad to leave it closed while bringing to a boil?

My birthday is coming up and i have made the wife aware of various gift cards i need for my new hobby so these problems should be a thing of the past soon, but i just have to brew NOW! I will probably delay this one until tomorrow night, though.

if possiable i would not have the lid compleatly on. i put my cook pot in a #3 washtub and use 3 bags of ice. it cools down the wort in around 20 min.

I can make sure to leave it off for the boil this time, but will it be bad to leave it closed while bringing to a boil?

During the boil is when the DMS will rapidly evaporate as it's pretty volatile. I have seen posts in this forum recommending leaving the lid partially cracked when you are bringing to a boil and the leaving lid off completely when doing the boil.

I always cool with the lid off but I can cool mine down in about 20-30 min tops. I have left a pot in the sink while I had to run out and do something else for an hour or two with no ill effects.

Are you doing AG, Extract, PM, Steep or what?

My experience is that if you are doing all extract, DMS isn't much of an issue, even if you boil with the lid mostly on, or even all on. I've done it without getting DMS.

If you add grain it gets more touchy as DMS precursors haven't been vaporized for you before hand. Especially if you are doing any sort of mash/pm vs. just steeping some crystal.

As far as chilling, I think as long as you did a vigorous enough long boil, it's not an issue. I know a person who does Aussie "No Chill" brewing, which basically means he takes his near boiling wort and racks it directly into a sanatized HDPE container that he seals (air tight), tosses around so the boiling wort contacts all surfaces and kills anything that fell in, and then lets cool overnight. Ferments the next day or the next week or next month, doesn't matter, that's why he does it. If he has time to brew but no open fermenter, he can brew up a bunch of batches, and then ferment them whenever just by pouring them into his fermenter and pitching yeast. Anyways, he doesn't get DMS. I think the idea that you get DMS from not chilling fast enough is a myth as long as you do a full duration long boil.

EDIT: also I've done a whole bunch of hopstands with the lid on after flameout/pitching in the hops but before significant cooling - and have had no DMS issues in those beers, just yummy hop goodness. There is no way I could do a hopstand here without the lid on, too many furry shedding animals.