Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
teckmaster0179

American Ale

I just got the Mr. Beer kit and it comes with the American Ale to start with. I've had it sitting for the 7 days now that it says is the minimum time. I'm not sure if I should move to bottling yet or not. I shine the tub with a flash light and it looks very clear to me.

Any help pls!!

Welcome!

We recommend 3 full weeks then 4 weeks in the bottle at room temp.

Yes, what he said!

I followed the instructions on the can for the first few I did, and I regretted it!

If you drink it too early it will taste cider like, or in other words strangely sweet. Not sweet in a good, malty way. Just strange.

Don't touch it for 4 weeks!

3weeks LBK, 4 weeks in the bottle on the shelf in the dark room temp., 3 days in the fridge

Ohh, and just to let you know why everyone recommends 3 weeks,
if the yeast is not done fermenting, then all the sugars still left will get
fermented in the bottle and explode.

"SelfFueled" post=386822 said:

could be

"SelfFueled" post=386822 said:

I'd like to think I wait the time I wait to make sure I have a fully fermented product that's the best it can be since the yeast have begun to work on cleaning up the diacetyl and acetaldehyde before bottling.

On top of the other advice/recommendations provided - although there are some yeasts and situations where the yeast can ferment a beer in 7 days or less (for example WLP090 White Labs San Diego Super Yeast) you have to consider the clean up and be patient. The 7 days suggested is a bare minimum...we (through experience) advise people to go 3 weeks...let fermentation do its job, let clean up do its job, and then be safer than sorry.

Although the directions suggest the minimum time as 7 days...anything worthwhile is worth giving more than the bare minimum. Whether that be work, life in general, or beer...never put in minimum effort. ;)

"teckmaster0179" post=386805 said:

I've had it sitting for the 7 days now that it says is the minimum time. I'm not sure if I should move to bottling yet or not

Welcome to the wonderful world of homebrewing. Since this is your first brew, we all understand your eagerness in wanting it done as soon as possible. You've got a couple of choices:

1) Follow the Mr. Beer directions and bottle it now. Let it carb/condition for a week. Then taste it and be disappointed with the results, maybe giving up this hobby right then and there.

2) Follow the advice of this community, let it ferment for 21 days, and bottle it and let it carb/condition at room temperature for a month. Then taste it and think, "Wow, I can't believe I made this."

I would advice option #2, even though it is difficult to wait that first time when you are eager to try it. Just brew up another batch while waiting, it gets easier.

Save those bottles then! Once you're hooked on brewing your own beer, you'll be buying more LBK's & starting a pipeline. You're gonna need more bottles.

I too started mine thinking 7 days with the American Classic Light, however after talking to the moderators was told to do a 2-2-2 which i thought would work well however than i got on this and found these guys talking about the 3 - 4 rule. My first batch was in bottles by then so im sticking with the 2-2-2 rule for that batch - the Patriot Lauger I just brewed last night is gona follow the 3-4 rule.

These guys know what they are talking about and have helped me alredy get started in the right direction im on my 4th batch now (using 2 LBK's) and havnt even gotten to taste my first one! LOL

It will be worth it when i crack open case upon case every week from here on of my own home brew!

"teckmaster0179" post=387020 said:

Yeah, I'm going to let it go the 21 days. I have the money to keep buying beer in the meantime.

If you have money for beer, then you should have some for buying more refills!!!

A pipeline is started to always have more beer (new beer!!!) to open every so often.
If you make another batch after you bottle your first, then you will be bottling 3 weeks after that.
So each 3-4 weeks you can be sampling the newest batch.

You will need a second (or 4 in my case) LBKs to do it.
Get spare LBKs (little brown Kegs) by themselves or as a full kit with the spare bottles.
Then you will have the bottles to bottle.

You can work yourself you to it, or hop in now (if you think brewing is your thing) by
getting a bottle capper and glass bottles.....if you drink em now, you can save your empties
just make sure they are all pop top NOT twist offs.

Either way, you will want a recipe to brew right after you bottled and clean out your LBK.

Good luck with the A Ale!