Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
macbeer

Aztec

Well I've been trying the Aztec over the course of a month and its just plain watery..blah sweet. i did 2-4-3..im sorta stumped..I used mb guidelines as always..o well..I have Irish stout ready for the fridge..hoping that turns out ok.

Like they say here use a 3 - 4 - 24 hour rule is what i been following

3 Weeks Fermentation
4 Weeks Condtitioning at room temp
1 beer in fridge for 24-48 hours to taste and see if it gets better as you put a bottle in each day or every other day.

How many Aztec's did you brew is this the first batch?

Aztec is one of the worst beers in the Mr. Beer lineup in my opinion.

I have not tried MB aztec yet...but soon to be.

I have had corona a few times before and pretty much it is like chilled piss.

BUT pop a lime in it and viola! you have a decent lite alcoholic beverage, great for
taking it easy or summertime season....and others.
I actually think it will be good for the wintertime and sitting in front of the fireplace,
throwing a log on every half hour or so, sweating too....just my thoughts.

I've Irish stout and their ipa's might just stick to them..seems like the lighter beers are too watery..

I agree with Gabby Johnson.......'er......RickBeer.

Aztec has proven time after time to take extra conditioning time and just need some oomph added to the basic reskapie.

A lime wedge might also help it out. Why do you think they put one in Corona! Its the only way you will taste any kind of flavor.

"SelfFueled" post=387088 said:

BUT pop a lime in it and viola! you have a decent lite alcoholic beverag

I also found a slice of lime helped this beer (and 6 weeks conditioning). I wouldn't have thought it (the lime) would make that noticeable an improvement, but it did to me.

I too was left wanting more from this first one. But it was my very first one, and just making beer was enough for me. I have brewed it again with a few additions and I have my first Lime Cervesa and it is much better.

"RickBeer" post=387085 said:

Aztec is one of the worst beers in the Mr. Beer lineup in my opinion.

American Ale is far worse. Aztec is watery, weak, barely passes as beer, but drip in a slice of lime and it makes a real light summer session brew. I'll do it again, maybe, someday if I do a kit again. But like u said, it's not the greatest as is.

Adding some DME and doing a hop boil with the DME can probably help make the Aztec more substantial. (Don't boil the HME though.) My only experience with so far is an Agave Cerveza, which has enough body given the DME and hop addition, so I can't really recommend a specific amount other than using QBrew to see what will bring the ABV to 5.5-6% or so, and the IBU to about 30. The Agave Cerveza isn't turning out as good as I had hoped, but it's still young so it might improve with age. Before adding the agave nectar I did get the impression that it might be a good base for a fruit beer, so I will try that with another can in my inventory. Has anyone else tried that?

Interesting... I just started drinking a batch of this that I made with an extra LME and lime zest. I think it really works well with the Lime. And it is a little over 5%, so a very nice summer beer.

Monty

I'm a corona drinker and the Aztec is a horrible comparison. I have another batch with a pale added that will be ready next weekend and I hope it is better. If it is not I don't think I will be using this for any other future recipes.

I've made the MA straight up and modified. My thread on the MA straight up was very similar to these posts. It had a low ABV%, it was watery, and was cidery until 8 weeks. I modified the recipe adding DME, a little hop addition, and adding lime. I was much more pleased with that brew. The comparisons to a Corona are definitely not true for this one in my opinion.

Well my second batch was brewed last night and it was the Mexican Cerveza Deluxe version.

Do you think I'm still on the hook for 8 weeks conditioning with the added LME?

.. and it should be better with that, no?

Little disappointed I chose that one as my second batch after reading through this thread. (especially when I had a choice between that and Bewitched Amber Ale)

Aztec was one of the first I tried after receiving the MRB kit. I wasn't real impressed by the first one or two at 3-4 weeks, but the last ones from the batch were room conditioned about 6 weeks and then in the fridge another week. Those actually tasted much better and were very comparable to Corona, if not a little bit better...in my opinion.

I think I'm around 5 weeks I thought it was longer its...blah. Watery cidery..problem is I kept trying them I'm down to 3 1L pet's.

I have the Gila monster on deck waiting for temps to go down.. I know that'll be a good beer for fall.