Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
windowpane

Mex Cer

Popped my first bottle and it's pretty good. Not much head but nice clarity. I think I noticed a little cider taste and so did my friend. Common or did I mess up?? Check Pilsner also done so tried one of them. mmmmmmm! Me likey.

typical for this recipe. It is not too bad for a weak summer session brew, but it needs lots of work. As far as the cider aftertaste, many things can contribute this, but I will guess it's just green yet.

Mine achieved best flavor around 7-8 weeks conditioning.

I've made the MA straight up and as a modifcated recipe. On my first batch, I sampled the beer after 3 weeks of fermenting and 4 weeks of carb/conditioning. It was green, very cidery. After 6 weeks, it was still green and cidery. At the 8 week mark, finally, the cidery taste was gone. So during my 2nd batch that I modified, I fermented 3 weeks and carb/conditioned 8 weeks before I sampled any bottles. It was perfect. You definitely have to let this beer sit to condition properly.

Thx guys! at 8 weeks from bottled date I will have another taste test. :) My 2nd octoberfest is still brewing from 6-30. will bottle that in a week. my favorite so far but many more to try. :) any suggestion on something that might taste like blue moon??

I have standard MB hme Bavarian weissbier conditioning right now, with hopes it will be similar.
https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1015/nm/Bavarian_Weissbier1

Deluxe http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1129/nm/Bavarian_Weissbier_Deluxe_Refill_1

Here is the recipes which add in other ingredients
https://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/33

Hopefully someone can chime in with experience on the recipes,
to say which may be closest or best out of them.

"windowpane" post=387292 said:

Thx guys! at 8 weeks from bottled date I will have another taste test. :) My 2nd octoberfest is still brewing from 6-30. will bottle that in a week. my favorite so far but many more to try. :) any suggestion on something that might taste like blue moon??

I made a Bavarian with coriander and perle hops. It was actually tasting really good with just 3 weeks in the bottle. But I can't speak for a straight up brew. Wheat beers are supposed to be ready sooner.

"windowpane" post=387340 said:

so the deluxe kit with the white pouch is basically more alc % ?

It is a silver pouch, which is liquid malt extract.
It will add more flavor, color and ABV

I think it is 7 oz or so, they claim 1% extra abv....but aprox, so it may be less.

It would be the same as adding dry or liquid malt to any recipe.
However, MB has it worked out that it doesnt take away from other HME flavors...
so anymore LME or DME (than MB offers in pouch) would require probably more hops to balance the malt flavor.