Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainBeer

Yeast: to stir or not to stir

All the directions on this website would indicate "Sprinkle the yeast packet into the keg, and screw on the lid. Do not stir." Yet, the instructions with my Santa Catalina IPA indicate otherwise.

Thoughts?

Both ways work. The old MrB instructions used to say sprinkle the yeast on top the wort, let sit 5 minutes then stir. Now it doesn't. I always stir out of habbit.

"brewin bull" post=387232 said:

I have stirred and not. I have noticed no real difference.

me too... either way the yeast seem to know exactly what they need to do.

now that i'm a slightly more advanced noob i rehydrate dry yeast so stirring them into the wort isnt really necessary. just aerate the wort before, then rehydrate and toss them in. (of course making sure the diff in temps between wort and yeast isnt more than 10-15 degrees f).

So there is never the possible problem of beer tasting like poop, I aerate the S-H-I-T out of it prior to pitching dry or re-hydrated yeast. Then I usually give it a soft stirring after 5-10 minutes of sitting. Never a problem.

I've got an interesting experiment going on. I made 2 batches of Patriot 'Lager', exactly the same, one with re-hydrated yeast, and one pitched dry. Both aerated. I'm betting there won't be a difference. We'll see.

Monty

I used to stir after I pitched but I dont anymore. The main reason is I aerate the bejeepers out of the wort with a whisk attached to my DeWalt drill on high. So in most cases me stiring will just move it around in the foam. I USUALLY follow the yeast makers instructions as to rehydration.

"Monsteroyd" post=387319 said:

I've got an interesting experiment going on. I made 2 batches of Patriot 'Lager', exactly the same, one with re-hydrated yeast, and one pitched dry. Both aerated. I'm betting there won't be a difference. We'll see.

Monty

your probably right, I don't think it really matters unless your brewing high gravity beers. then you'll need every little yeastie you can get.

I used to stir in the yeast after the aeration stir but not anymore. I spoke with a Mr. Beer Rep. and was told that you do not have to stir in the yeast. It hunts the sugar in the wort.

your right Flynn.  stirring is not necessary, i have forgot it several times and still had beer in the end.