Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
losman26

BIAB temp inconsistencies with gap in basket??

Today I did up a 7.5 batch of Zombie Dust,using a new steamer basket for a 15 gal pot. There is about a 1 1/2- 2 inch gap between the pot and the basket. I had a hard time knowing what my mash temps were. Inside of the basket it was inconsistent because of the gap between the basket and the pot. Eventually I was able to stabilize the temp with constant stirring, but it is really annoying having your thermometer jump all over the place.

Question is, what is the best way to deal with this? Do I maybe get a pump? Or is it not that big of deal to have temps flying all over the place as long as I get them to where I need them to be eventually. At one point, I was afraid of scorching something because the temp in the water outside of the basket shot up above 170, but inside was in the high 140's.

I do know that my efficiency was much higher using the basket for the first time.

"losman26" post=387238 said:

Question is, what is the best way to deal with this? Do I maybe get a pump?

A pump would help a lot - constant mash recirculation will prevent stratification. Adding a PID-controlled heating element (or burner) will allow you to hold precise mash temps indefinitely ("set and forget"). Otherwise, mix, mix, mix!

I use BeerSmith and a gas burner for now. I Don't use a basket, just the BIAB bag. Have no problems with temperature jumps.
Bring water to temp per BeerSmith, put in bag, stir in grains, wrap pot in this and a blanket and walk away and stir every 15 minutes for the next hour. No problem maintaining a steady temperature.
Going to do the same when I go electric to start. Don't know on using a pump yet.

"Inkleg" post=387348 said:

I use BeerSmith and a gas burner for now. I Don't use a basket, just the BIAB bag. Have no problems with temperature jumps.
Bring water to temp per BeerSmith, put in bag, stir in grains, wrap pot in this and a blanket and walk away and stir every 15 minutes for the next hour. No problem maintaining a steady temperature.
Going to do the same when I go electric to start. Don't know on using a pump yet.

I did this for my first two BIAB batches, but the problem was that my temps dropped drastically while adding the grains, and I needed to fire up the pot again. These bags seem pretty easy to scorch, and that was the main reason for buying a basket. I was honestly thinking about buying an electric BIAB system, but will probably just build my own seeing that I already have a big enough pot, basket, etc.

Also, what kind of efficiency are you getting with BeerSmith? Mine has been low. Highest has been around 60%, although since adding this basket and a therma-K thermometer on this latest batch, it improved by 7 points? Do you find that beerSmith maybe has you add too much water?

I've never had a issue with a huge temperature drop using BeerSmith. I have a thermometer in the pot as the water is heating, stir every now and then to prevent stratification. When it hits, lets say 162*, cut heat, wrap pot, drop in bag and clip it to the sides. Hold grain bucket under one arm and semi-gently pour in while stirring like a mad man. By the time the bucket is empty the grain is mixed very well. Drop the temp probe in it, cover with blanket and it will settle within + or - 1* every time. I'll try to stir every 15 minutes and depending on the time of year I may lose a few degrees, I but don't worry about that.

RE: the big temp loss - a loss is of course to be expected, it's why your strike water temp is much higher then your mash temp. I'm not using Beersmith ATM, but I know that when I messed with it before, nothing calculated properly until I got my equipment dialed in.

So maybe you need to tweak your equipment a bit in there. Alternatively, try using something like this for calculating your strike temp:

http://www.simplebiabcalculator.com/

I've been using this with good success. I simply set "grain temp" to be my room temp where I keep the grain.

"mashani" post=387570 said:

RE: the big temp loss - a loss is of course to be expected, it's why your strike water temp is much higher then your mash temp. I'm not using Beersmith ATM, but I know that when I messed with it before, nothing calculated properly until I got my equipment dialed in.

So maybe you need to tweak your equipment a bit in there. Alternatively, try using something like this for calculating your strike temp:

http://www.simplebiabcalculator.com/

I've been using this with good success. I simply set "grain temp" to be my room temp where I keep the grain.

That is an EXCELLENT Calculator! Thanks, mashani.