Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Incognitum

Concern with IBU/OG on Wheat Beer

Hi, I brewed up an American Wheat beer last month. It's been in the bottle two weeks and I'd like to start drinking them next week.

I've recently started entering all my recipes into BrewToad to get a better idea of what I'm doing. I entered my ingredients for the Wheat today and found that I probably under-hopped it.

I'm basically using 8lbs of Wheat LME and 1 ounce of Willamette at 60 minutess and 1 ounce of Cascade at 15 minutes. This is a 5 gallon batch, by the way. And a 6% beer.

This recipe yields 20 IBUs and a IBU/OG of 0.34 -- which BrewToad tells me is on the sweet side of spectrum. This is still "in style" for an American Wheat, but I was actually going for something more balanced.

My thought is I should have added an additional .5-1ounce of Willamette hops at 60 to keep this more balanced... I'll do that next time.

In the meantime, does my American Wheat with IBU/OG of 0.34 and 20 IBUs seem okay?

Thanks!

Depends on your palette... But it should be ok...

It has the hop level of many lite American beers...

:)

I think it will be fine. Wheat beers are supposed to have little if any hop presence. If this was all grain it would be really good after just 1 week in the bottle. I think with extract 2 weeks will probably yield you a really good beer. Wheat beers and IPAs are at their best when they are young.

"BigPapaG" post=387293 said:

That's what I'm afraid of! :P

Gymrat -- I actually dropped one in the fridge right at the two week mark (which was yesterday).

I've never tried a beer before three weeks, but maybe I'll give the first bottle a try tonight or tomorrow and see firsthand.

"Incognitum" post=387295 said:

"BigPapaG" post=387293 said:

Depends on your palette... But it should be ok...

That's what I'm afraid of! :P

That's ok though, like Gymrat said... Because it's a wheat beer, it is supposed to be lightly hopped.

Sounds like you might prefer more, and so do I sometimes... But it should be a good, refreshong summer brew.

I tried the first bottle tonight at 2 weeks. It's totally drinkable. I'll probably add another half ounce of hops next time to balance a bit more. It will probably improve a bit in the next couple weeks, but I'm pretty happy with it as is.

Incog~

What's your brewer name on Brewtoad...or something on there (recipe name) so that I can look at it? I'll follow your stuff there.

Yeah, I do agree with you regarding the extra hops. While it might be "in style" as it stands, I can understand and agree with your doing the extra hop there.

Take a look on mine...or search my Wheat-O's Peak recipe on BrewToad. That one turned out perfect and is exactly what I wanted in my American Wheat.

Chris, I'm Incognitum on BrewToad, same as here. I just looked you up and am following you on BrewToad.

I took a look at your recipe and it's not that far off from mine, other than the IBU's. My 20 vs your 70. I would actually like get mine somewhere closer to 40-50 IBUs next time. 70 is probably more bitter than I'd want my wheat, but it sounds like you made an awesome beer.

"Incognitum" post=387502 said:

Chris, I'm Incognitum on BrewToad, same as here. I'll try to track you down.

I found you. So, you're talking about the Kayle's Ale.

I'm sure you looked at the possibilities...but in a future version of this Ale, maybe take a look at a hop called Summit. It's supposed to have a definite Orange/Tangerine presence. I think that would play really well with the bitter orange peel you have in there. There's also a German hop called Smaragd which is said to have some Orange Marmalade which might work also.

Thanks for the advice. I've never tried Summit, but I am changing this recipe every time I brew, until I get something I really like.

Right now I'm adding orange peel to the boil, but I'm not getting as much orange flavor as I wanted. I was going to add more orange peel, but I'll give your hops a try next time and see how that works.

What does the Carabelge do for your steep? I've never used additional grains in my wheat.

Oddly, I'm getting no head retention on this beer. It's only been a couple weeks in the bottle, so maybe that will be improve, but I always thought Wheat was great in head retention.

"Incognitum" post=387505 said:

Thanks for the advice. I've never tried Summit, but I am changing this recipe every time I brew, until I get something I really like.

Right now I'm adding orange peel to the boil, but I'm not getting as much orange flavor as I wanted. I was going to add more orange peel, but I'll give your hops a try next time and see how that works.

What does the Carabelge do for your steep? I've never used additional grains in my wheat.

Oddly, I'm getting no head retention on this beer. It's only been a couple weeks in the bottle, so maybe that will be improve, but I always thought Wheat was great in head retention.

Mark~

I came across Carabelge looking for another grain...but with it being a cara malt I thought it would be similar (in terms of head retention) as what a CaraPils would offer. I also wanted a little more color than CaraPils. Since CaraPils is around 2 SRM...the 14 SRM on the CaraBelge was a positive fit to add some color but not too much.

Carabelge® gives beer mild, restrained notes of caramel and a honey-colored hue. It is often used for Belgian specialty beers, Belgian blondes, Belgian browns, Belgian ambers, tripels, and dubbels. The usage rate is 1-30% of the total grain bill.
14L

The "mild/restrained notes of caramel" are really restrained. You don't get any of it in the amount I used in that beer. I would say that "honey-colored" is a fair assessment. The 9 oz (in my version) still only brought my beer up to a 6 SRM...and I'd say that is an accurate color. Sometimes too much wheat can be...too much. So the Carabelge here toook a lot of that edge off. At least for my taste.

I like that you went with US-05...but (if you haven't) take a look at the WLP 320 American Hefe. No clove or banana...and that's exactly what I wanted. I swore off wheats due to clove/banana until I found this. US-05 works fine and is clean...so there's no issue. Just another idea.

Here's the Austin Homebrew notes on Summit:
Summit boasts high alpha acid values. Summit is a dwarf variety grown using a low-trellis system. Dwarf hops are picked gently in the field unlike their taller cousins, which must be cut and transported. Dwarf varieties are of the highest quality. Recent trials have discovered strong orange and tangerine citrus notes in this hop's flavor. Ideally suited for brewing American style IPAs and Double IPAs, Summit is an excellent bittering hop.

My suggestion would be to use it in a flavor or aroma boil. It is a high alpha hop...so use it with restraint. I think I used less around 0.6 oz at both the 22 minute and 7 minute marks and my IBU ended upward of 69. You can scale it to your needs.

I used the Orange Peel almost as a dry hop in an attempt to boost the aroma end. It's a thought.

Summit is nice, and I like it for hopbursting and whirlpool applications.

Worked well in a Pommegranite Wheat I did last year too...

Instead of CaraBelge, I have been getting something called Belgian CaraPils at my LHBS which is like a cross between CaraPils and C10. I runs about 11-13*L. I think it adds some character.

"Incognitum" post=387291 said:

Hi, I brewed up an American Wheat beer last month. It's been in the bottle two weeks and I'd like to start drinking them next week.

I've recently started entering all my recipes into BrewToad to get a better idea of what I'm doing. I entered my ingredients for the Wheat today and found that I probably under-hopped it.

I'm basically using 8lbs of Wheat LME and 1 ounce of Willamette at 60 minutess and 1 ounce of Cascade at 15 minutes. This is a 5 gallon batch, by the way. And a 6% beer.

This recipe yields 20 IBUs and a IBU/OG of 0.34 -- which BrewToad tells me is on the sweet side of spectrum. This is still "in style" for an American Wheat, but I was actually going for something more balanced.

My thought is I should have added an additional .5-1ounce of Willamette hops at 60 to keep this more balanced... I'll do that next time.

In the meantime, does my American Wheat with IBU/OG of 0.34 and 20 IBUs seem okay?

Thanks!

imo not bad i'm currently brewing the 'Murican Wheat at 25 ibus 20 shouldn't be too bad

"Incognitum" post=387425 said:

I tried the first bottle tonight at 2 weeks. It's totally drinkable. I'll probably add another half ounce of hops next time to balance a bit more. It will probably improve a bit in the next couple weeks, but I'm pretty happy with it as is.

I thought you would like it. The purpose of a wheat beer is to taste the earthy flavor of the wheat.