Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JohnSand

Warped LBK

Bottled Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner Deluxe (that's a mouthful!) today. I rinsed the LBK outside, and half filled it with warm soapy water. Then I inverted it to let the water soak the krausen ring. Some water leaked out of the vents, then stopped. An hour later, I went out to finish the process. Wiped inside with paper towels, rinsed with the hose. I noticed the bottom had warped considerably, dented inward both on the flat part and around it. The water was warm, but not too warm to keep a hand in. It's hot outside, but not hot enough to soften plastic, or so I thought. Don't try this at home.

With this heat wave, be careful with your LBKs and brews. I'd have to agree that the sun probably caused the warping of the LBK as the warm water. It is good to keep some reusable ice packs around for these types of days to keep the LBKs full of good brew cool, too.

I suspect it was sun plus some negative pressure from the water inside coming out through the vents. When the leaks stopped it was probably pulling a mild vacuum in the LBK. Dark colors absorb more heat than light colors. It sounds like a combination of things that added up; no one factor alone would have done much.