Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Roscoe1855

Starting first batch

Was wondering of the American ale, patriot lager, Oktoberfest lagar, which is best to start on and should I add a booster to it? Thanks for any help

hi welcome to the forum. the American ale. personally I wouldn't add a booster until you've brewed a couple straight to learn the procedures. ignore the 222 in the instructions we have found 3 weeks in the little brown keg(LBK). 4 weeks on the shelf in the dark at room temp. 3 days in the fridge. the 222 is a marketing gimmick you'll have beer but you'll have better beer the other way. got questions don't be afraid to ask we're all fellow brewers willing to help.

[attachment=14264]welcomebeer_2013-07-17.gif[/attachment]

Any of those HMEs (Hopped Malt Extracts) will make good beer. I agree on not using the Booster for right now. Do them straight-up and concentrate on the process. This is the most important thing for you to do right now, because you won't be able to progress as a brewer until you do.

Three weeks in the fermenter at between 65-70 degrees, then bottle and keep them in the dark, at room temperature, for four weeks before chilling a couple days. You will have success.

It won't be the best beer you'll ever taste, but I can assure you, it'll be the most satisfying.

In the meantime, read these forums. Ask questions. Read other source material, such as John Palmer's "How to Brew" (free online) and Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". Don't worry if you don't understand a lot of the stuff; you will eventually. And what you do understand will help you improve.

Above all, don't fret over your beer while it's fermenting and conditioning. If you've followed the proper procedures, it'll take care of itself. Beer is pretty self-sufficient if given a good start.

I like the Oktoberfest one of my favorites! I agree as well don't use the booster, brew it straight up! :chug:

"FedoraDave" post=387401 said:

Any of those HMEs (Hopped Malt Extracts) will make good beer. I agree on not using the Booster for right now. Do them straight-up and concentrate on the process. This is the most important thing for you to do right now, because you won't be able to progress as a brewer until you do.

Three weeks in the fermenter at between 65-70 degrees, then bottle and keep them in the dark, at room temperature, for four weeks before chilling a couple days. You will have success.

It won't be the best beer you'll ever taste, but I can assure you, it'll be the most satisfying.

In the meantime, read these forums. Ask questions. Read other source material, such as John Palmer's "How to Brew" (free online) and Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". Don't worry if you don't understand a lot of the stuff; you will eventually. And what you do understand will help you improve.

Above all, don't fret over your beer while it's fermenting and conditioning. If you've followed the proper procedures, it'll take care of itself. Beer is pretty self-sufficient if given a good start.

+1 what the hat said

Yup, don't go nuts on your first few batches. Get to know and understand the process of brewing and then start adding things gradually.

Dave didn't say it here but he's said before that he made some pretty funky stuff when he experimented too early and it actually set back his progress.

Obey the wisdom of the Collective.

I wouldn't say I made funky stuff when I was in my Mad Scientist phase. It was drinkable, but I realized I was flying blind and didn't know exactly what I was working with. Therefore, I had no hope of identifying the source of any problems and thus resolving them. Once I stuck with the ingredients I was given, I learned faster what the profiles were, and could make more intelligent decisions on customization.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Roscoe1855. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.

First time, keep it simple. You have enough to worry about without making the job harder. Concentrate on sanitation this first batch. Remember it takes a minute or two in the One Step solution to kill the enemy, so soak things well. And remember anything that isn't soaked is covered in bad things you can't see. Don't let it touch the beer or anything that may touch the beer.

I like the Oktoberfest. The second time I made it, I went a little mad scientist (added a Pale LME and a Booster pack), and just drank some last night. It was really a smooth dark beer with no BAT (bitter aftertaste). Just my kind of beer. I did 3 weeks in the fermenter, and 1 month conditioning in the bottle. Keep things clean and wait it out. It will be worth it.

Monty

Thanks guy for the help on start up reading the post ect. So dumb question but people are saying they have stores to buy this I live in north east nebraska and wondering what stores might be around here. Also after I get a few batches under my belt thought that would save on cost. Also can you do the temp control on a normal fridge? Just wondering thanks for all the help so far great forum here also

"Roscoe1855" post=387662 said:

question but people are saying they have stores to buy this I live in north east nebraska and wondering what stores might be around here. Also after I get a few batches under my belt thought that would save on cost. Also can you do the temp control on a normal fridge? Just wondering thanks for all the help so far great forum here also

Do you mean a store to buy Mr. Beer refills, or just beer making stuff in general? Mr. Beer has a store locator here:

http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?option=com_locator&view=directory&layout=combined&Itemid=140

Someone from Nebraska would have to help you out otherwise.

Yes, you can do the temperature control on any regular fridge. It is just a device that goes in between the AC plug and the wall, and a temperature probe that you run inside of the fridge.

Good I got a fridge given to me today and I am thinking it will work good for my new hobby. And also doesn't have to be mr beer refills I want to learn how to do it with my own ingredients ect but know that may be a year or so down the road I see Omaha has a few places also but I am 3.5 hours from Omaha and linc..

Keep in mind, too, that there are numerous reputable suppliers online. It's just another option.

So dumb question I did everything the way the directions said until I went to put yeast in and think I might have screw up the patch I was sprinkling in the yeast and dropped the packet I had a sanitized spoon to get it out but will that hurt the flavor?

Your beer will be fine. At least you were smart enough to use a sanatized spoon.
I think someone here grabbed one out with their not so sanatized hand. :whistle:

Yea I almost did that but then I remember reading not to haha also what temp should you ideal install the yeast mine was warm but not hot by any means. Also I like the smell when mixing the malt before you put it in the keg quite a good smell old lady even liked it