Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cowden

New Brewer - 1st problem

New Brewer here,
purchased Mr Brew Premium Gold Edition 2 weeks ago.
started with Aztec Mexican Cerveza on 7/11 in the LBK

here's the problem... room temp is 77.
it is not much going on in the LBK (2 days they had a little war in the LBK, but that was it)
picture is from today 7/17
[attachment=14266]brew1.jpg[/attachment]

here are the questions:
- does 77F destroy the taste?
- should i put the LBK instead of the room into the fridge?
- how long should i leave the LBK untouched?
- any other suggestions?

Thanks guys...
:cheers:

Cowden, welcome. First question 77 deg is to hot for fermentation, you should try to keep your temps down to 65 to 68 deg. 77 deg might give your beer a funky tast. Next question if you put the LBK in the fridge it will make the yeast go to sleep. During the hot summer months you are better off putting the LBK in a ice chest with frozen water bottle inside to keep the temp down. And also remember that the temp inside the LBK can get 5 to 10 deg hotter then the room temp. Next question you should ferment for 3 weeks. And then bottle. After bottling you should carb and condition for at least 4 weeks at room temp. The first batch always seems to take the longest. So as soon as you bottle get another batch brewing and maybe another LBK and you will be working on a pipe line in no time.

Welcome to the forum!

Some good reads:
Simple Guide Line
Adjunct Level
How to Brew (Jim Palmer's free online book)
Beer Styles
Beer Carbination Calculator
The Beer Borg Live Chat Forum

Old Mr. Beer Recipies
(Spreadsheet NOT my creation!)

You should get the temp down. Try placing the keg in a baking tray (to catch the water), soak a t-shirt with cold water and drape over the keg. Re-wet as soon as it starts to dry out. This will drop the temps a few degrees. Fermenting hot can give off flavors. We practice for 14 to 21 days in the keg for fermenting, then 4 weeks in the bottle at room temp for carbing/conditioning. There's lots of good info in the links I posted for you.

Thanks for the quick answers.

What should I do with the actual "brew" that is in the LBK? throw it away or (stir and) cool it down?

Thanks,
:drinking:

Try to cool it down and wait the 3weeks fermenting and then bottle and give it at least a month in bottles befor trying it. Never know might turn out good. One other thing when I made the Mexican Aztec it took at least 6 weeks condishining be for the cider tast went away.

Just cool it down. It may be good, may not, but never throw it out. It would not be good to stir now, introducing more oxygen at this stage is not a good thing. Cool 'er down and let it run. This recipe mostly needs 8 weeks in the bottle to taste good, so it will have time to clean up some of the off taste the heat might have created. Do the wet t trick, or use frozen water bottles in a cooler if u have one. Let it run it's course.

1st off, welcome! 2nd do not stir!!!! Or shake from this point on! Just get the temp down to 65 - 68 ASAP! 3rd do not throw away ... Brew might get off flavors because of high temp but maybe not! If it does, it might just take a little longer after bottling to condition out, but don't give up and just throw it out!

3 wks LBK and then 4 wks in bottle at 65- 68 degrees!

ok, i cooled it down with ice and wet towels.
too bad we live in florida :) garage hot, rooms 77F

Aggressive fermentation doesnt last long. Usually anywhere from 2 to 5 days depending on the brew. But your good for now. Like others have stsated this batch may have some fusel tastes but its by no means wrecked. In the future just ferment at a lower temp with the methods provided. A long journey starts with the firdt step....welcome

Welcome to the forum, I was same condition - received new gold kit, and chose mexican cerveza as my first brew, high temperature of wort and high room temperature about 77-80...
Two weeks after when I bottle, I tried to taste but... it was not tasted good.
I think yours would better than me if you follow many advices here to make lower temp of your LBK and 3 weeks of fermentation.
:cheers:

All of the advice above is good, but I'd like to add that the brewing process is usually pretty forgiving, and the difference will most likely be how good the beer is rather than whether it's drinkable. Conditioning time in the bottle makes a huge difference, and 4 weeks is a good minimum. I've had good beer after 2, but it was a whole lot better a few weeks later. A relatively low gravity beer doesn't need to condition as long as something heavier. The hard part is ignoring it while it conditions.

Welcome to the forum, hobby, and obsession.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Cowden. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.

for Florida, your best bet is to invest in a cheap Ice Chest...styro will work provided your LBK will fit in it along witha a few Ice bottles. Doing it that way will allow you to perv with justification at your soon to be beer. Addmittedly, the last two weeks of fermentation is quite boring.

Just hang in there, and once you know what's up, You'll be making better beer than you ever thought you could.
~The Nong.

"Cowden" post=387448 said:

What should I do with the actual "brew" that is in the LBK? throw it away or (stir and) cool it down?

Don't throw it away! :) Seriously, you *might* have off flavors. Even if you do, they might condition out. Worse case, you have funny tasting beer. Might still be drinkable.

Yes, you should try to cool it down if you can. But primary fermentation has already occurred, which I think is when most of these off flavors are created.

Thanks guys.
So the "wet towel brewing" is going on for now.
In the 2nd week now.
Will bottle it after 3rd week.
And then condition it for 3-4 weeks.
What's the best temp for conditioning?

hi welcome to the forum! room temp.. got mine just sitting ,in boxes on shelves, all around the man cave conditioning. I live in ga, no garage, and hot rooms ;)

[attachment=14320]welcomebeer_2013-07-21.gif[/attachment]

"Jim Johnson" post=388201 said:

hi welcome to the forum! room temp.. got mine just sitting ,in boxes on shelves, all around the man cave conditioning. I live in ga, no garage, hot rooms and hotter wimens! ;)

Fixt it for ya', Jim. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Chuck N ™" post=388205 said:

"Jim Johnson" post=388201 said:

hi welcome to the forum! room temp.. got mine just sitting ,in boxes on shelves, all around the man cave conditioning. I live in ga, no garage, hot rooms and hotter wimens! ;)

Fixt it for ya', Jim. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So Chuck, you have seen my wife then. :banana: Because I definitely married out of my league.

I've made the MA twice. Once I brewed it straight up and once I added to it. Take it from personal experience, bottle this brew and allow 8 weeks to carb and condition. From my experience, I had a cidery taste at 4 weeks and 6 weeks of carbing/conditioning. At 8 weeks, I had a nice brew both times. My 2nd batch of the MA that I modified is the best beer that I've made to date. Part of my success was simply knowing what to expect from the 1st time I made this.

In regards to the fermenting, you definitely are on the warm side as mentioned above. I will say though, your LBK looks very similar to how mine did after a week of fermenting. It looks like you definitely had a Krausen and it has fallen. How much trub is at the bottom of the LBK?

SlickRick07 said:

I've made the MA twice. Once I brewed it straight up and once I added to it... My 2nd batch of the MA that I modified is the best beer that I've made to date. Part of my success was simply knowing what to expect from the 1st time I made this.

Can you share your secret??