Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
iluvbeer!

1st brew update

Aztec Mexican Cerveza.. Been 5 weeks in bottles yesterday. tried one last night, but seems to be a bit "green" yet. It looks pretty good and smells like beer :laugh: But might need a bit more conditioning. I have read here on the Borg that 6-8 weeks is a good range for this beer type to condition out? Also not much of a head on this beer, but the carb looks good.. I added some pics, hopefully they show up. had problems with pics before. Thanks again for all the help! I can call myself a home brewer now.. albeit a noob... :gulp:

Great! :laugh:
Now I'm also conditioning Mexican Cerveza and I could have some hopes being well (or being not so bad) after watching your photos.
By the way I'm also going to brew Partytime Pils (already bought all ingredients. :cheer: ) and now you're conditioning.. I would be glad if you leave some reviews when you open yours.

"beaureve" post=387490 said:

Great! :laugh:
Now I'm also conditioning Mexican Cerveza and I could have some hopes being well (or being not so bad) after watching your photos.
By the way I'm also going to brew Partytime Pils (already bought all ingredients. :cheer: ) and now you're conditioning.. I would be glad if you leave some reviews when you open yours.

The Mexican Cerveza is still a bit "green", tastes a bit cidery. I figure another week or so can only help.. :cheer:

The Partytime Pilsner will be ready to bottle next Tuesday, and I followed the recipe instructions , with added info from the Borg. I have much higher hopes for this batch.. ;)

You will find that a lot of extract only beers will be a little short on the head and/or body which is why a lot of us do a short grain steep. But, being your first kudos to you for following the recipe as-is since now when you start playing with other factors you will see how they influence the beer. It is always good to get at least a few as-is recipes under your belt.

you made beer. good job! like Da Yooper said, steeping a little grain will help in the head and body department. just brew them straight for now and do the reads, you'll know when your ready to move up.

That does look good, and like it was stated before longer conditioning will help that taste go away! :cheers:

"iluvbeer!" post=387482 said:

I have read here on the Borg that 6-8 weeks is a good range for this beer type to condition out?

6+ weeks was my experience. A few drops of lime also really perked this one up.

Nice pics.

Thanks for all the positive encouragement! Appreciate it. I do think limes will be in order when i try the next bottle..

Great job! That one does seem to take awhile to condition but it really is pretty good for what it is. A bit of lime does wonders for it also. Keep at it and you will be as 'messed' up as the rest of us. :woohoo:

Ha! I just brewed my second batch last night and it was .... Mexican Cerveza. What a difference after getting some great education from everyone here.

1. Recorded pertinent information in my new journal

2. I had a list of tools and equipment I would need to sanitize and had everything in order better for the brewing process. (1st time Mr.Beer video had me sterilizing measuring spoons you don't need for weeks ect..)

3. My HME and LME was soft and flowed right out of the can because I let it set longer in warm water.

4. I recorded a OG hydrometer reading after sterilizing it and put the sample back in. (won't happen next time/taste test)

5. I had experimented with temps and re-freezable ice packs and water in the keg for a week in my cooler and have that situation under control. (first batch just set in the basement)

6. Dropped $100 at my LBHS on a vinator and tree, Star San, capper and caps, faucet bottle washer ect....

It's official. I'm hooked.

"BrownstotheBone" post=387734 said:

Ha! I just brewed my second batch last night and it was .... Mexican Cerveza. What a difference after getting some great education from everyone here.

2. I had a list of tools and equipment I would need to sanitize and had everything in order better for the brewing process. (1st time Mr.Beer video had me sterilizing measuring spoons you don't need for weeks ect..)

3. My HME and LME was soft and flowed right out of the can because I let it set longer in warm water.

4. I recorded a OG hydrometer reading after sterilizing it and put the sample back in. (won't happen next time/taste test)

5. I had experimented with temps and re-freezable ice packs and water in the keg for a week in my cooler and have that situation under control. (first batch just set in the basement)

6. Dropped $100 at my LBHS on a vinator and tree, Star San, capper and caps, faucet bottle washer ect....

Welcome to the Obsession!

I've seen that phrase mentioned here a lot, and finally get to say it.. :lol: :cheers:

"iluvbeer!" post=387735 said:

I've seen that phrase mentioned here a lot, and finally get to say it.. :lol: :cheers:

That's not an exaggeration either.

After coming home from work yesterday I took a nice nap, got started late (no work today) and brewed on Thursday and finished on Friday. LOL

I wanted it in my cooler over the weekend so I could be here to monitor the temp for a few days and adjust as needed.

Crazy...

"iluvbeer!" post=387735 said:

"BrownstotheBone" post=387734 said:

yeah your hooked, landed and fillet. :)