Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beer-lord

Dry hopping commando

Tonite I'll be dry hopping the Maharaja clone with 8.75 oz of hops. I've decided to use a secondary for the first time in over a year and think I'm simply going to drop all the hops commando, on the bottom and rack the beer onto it for a week. I really want to get all the goodness of the hops and a few places that I was able to find others using this recipe (from Avery) they suggested a secondary and commando hops.

I guess this time next week I'll find out if I made a mistake or not. I was thinking of putting half in bags and half loose but think I'll follow the advice this time. I can't cold crash it before kegging but I may put a hop sack on the tube as I rack to the keg (never done that before).

I tried dry hopping commando on my last IPA. I had read in For the Love of Hops that they found it was the most effective way of dry hopping so I tried it. The difference was astounding. If you put a bag on your racking equipment, put it on the end in the bottling bucket or keg, and be sure to soak it down really good first to keep it from introducing oxygen into your beer. I learned this from much experimentation before I bought my strainer.

I was thinking of putting one or two glass marbles in the bag to keep it down at the bottom of the keg and tying it on the racking tube with dental floss.
I may just forego that entirely and rack as normal, let it sit a while and pull off a pint or so of the hop junk and just chill and enjoy.

Going to be right there with you Paul. The Pliny gets dry hopped this weekend. I'm going to put the 3oz in the bottom of the secondary and rack the beer on top.

I've done the hopsack on the end of the tubing before with good success. I made sure that it was soaked with sanitizer first, then squeezed it to wring out as much of it as possible. I secured mine to the tube with a sanitized zip tie making sure the top of the bag was as close to the end of the tube as I could get it. This gave ample room for the bag to collect the floaties. I didn't use any weights to keep it down. I just made sure that I had plenty of tubing so it would reach all the way to the bottom of the bottling bucket (keg in your case). Make sure you completely sanitize the tubing also as it will be immersed in beer by the time you are finished. Too bad you can't cold crash first....I'm thinking that will help tremendously.

When I get to my Pliny recipe, I plan on doing this procedure.

"BlackDuck" post=387778 said:

I've done the hopsack on the end of the tubing before with good success. I made sure that it was soaked with sanitizer first, then squeezed it to wring out as much of it as possible. I secured mine to the tube with a sanitized zip tie making sure the top of the bag was as close to the end of the tube as I could get it. This gave ample room for the bag to collect the floaties. I didn't use any weights to keep it down. I just made sure that I had plenty of tubing so it would reach all the way to the bottom of the bottling bucket (keg in your case). Make sure you completely sanitize the tubing also as it will be immersed in beer by the time you are finished. Too bad you can't cold crash first....I'm thinking that will help tremendously.

This is exactly how I did it.

"Inkleg" post=387775 said:

Going to be right there with you Paul. The Pliny gets dry hopped this weekend. I'm going to put the 3oz in the bottom of the secondary and rack the beer on top.

The passage I read in For the Love of Hops said you get the best permeation by throwing the pellets on top of the beer and giving them time to sink on their own.

"Gymrat" post=387781 said:

The passage I read in For the Love of Hops said you get the best permeation by throwing the pellets on top of the beer and giving them time to sink on their own.

Thanks Roger :chug:

This is interesting as I've seen it done both ways but some mentioned they float less if you add to the bottom first. But, I like the idea of sinking down and spreading out their goodness as they do so.

Glad I posted this....thanks Roger!

As for the hop bag, thanks Chris. I really wonder how much it will collect and if it will be worth it but I'd like to try anyway.

"Beer-lord" post=387789 said:

This is interesting as I've seen it done both ways but some mentioned they float less if you add to the bottom first. But, I like the idea of sinking down and spreading out their goodness as they do so.

Glad I posted this....thanks Roger!

As for the hop bag, thanks Chris. I really wonder how much it will collect and if it will be worth it but I'd like to try anyway.

When I did that I left a lot of spare bag to collect stuff.

Roger, what does it say about the temperature when dry hopping? Thanks.

A few hours later and I have 2" or more of hop sludge. I don't know if or how much will settle in 7 days but I may have to let it sit longer.

[attachment=14305]IMG_1180Small.JPG[/attachment]

Well I have never dry hopped "commando" but I have brewed while "commando".

Holy cow....that's a lot of sludge. Hopefully that drops out. You really need to find a way to cold crash that.

"Inkleg" post=387935 said:

Roger, what does it say about the temperature when dry hopping? Thanks.

There was no mention of temperature. So I would assume whatever you are fermenting at.

No change this morning to speak of. Still a ton of hop sludge. I see some sediment at the bottom but some looks like yeast that's fallen and only a little hop funk.

Next week I'm definitely going to need the sack to transfer. I will try to get it down to 60 by mid week but I'm pretty sure that's all I can do. I'm not sure if cold crashing would even do much to this sludge. Might have to rethink the Pliny when the time comes to dry hop.

Sure smells good though.

Yep, haven't used it on a very long time.

At least I was able to get some good yeast out of the primary for a few more batches.
Hey, if it were easy, it wouldn't be fun.

Just racked my Pliny to a secondary and added 1oz each of Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe.
FG was at 1.012, so looking good there. Taste was smooth, but a little heavy on the bitter.
I hope I didn't ruin this beer. ;) :laugh:

With that big of early hop addition I dont know how it could not be bitter. That is why I decided not to brew it.

"Gymrat" post=388100 said:

With that big of early hop addition I dont know how it could not be bitter. That is why I decided not to brew it.

That is exactly why I decided to brew it.
That is one of the GREAT things about this hobby. We are all able to brew the beers we like.

"Gymrat" post=387779 said:

Wait, so you guys put your sack on the output of the siphon? Hmmm....I might have to try that next time. I was putting it over the input of the siphon and thought it was introducing a lot of foam/oxygen into the process. Luckily I haven't had any oxidation issues with that batch. I'll definitely have to try putting the sack on the output tube next time when I rack my dry-hopped Belgian-Inspired IPA.

Either way beats not filtering dry-hopped pellets. I did that for my IPA and clogged my keg output so bad it required major dis-assembly and re-assembly at least 5 times to clean out the dip tube/poppets/

"VTGroff" post=388651 said:

"Gymrat" post=387779 said:

Wait, so you guys put your sack on the output of the siphon? Hmmm....I might have to try that next time. I was putting it over the input of the siphon and thought it was introducing a lot of foam/oxygen into the process. Luckily I haven't had any oxidation issues with that batch. I'll definitely have to try putting the sack on the output tube next time when I rack my dry-hopped Belgian-Inspired IPA.

Either way beats not filtering dry-hopped pellets. I did that for my IPA and clogged my keg output so bad it required major dis-assembly and re-assembly at least 5 times to clean out the dip tube/poppets/

The first time I tred it I put it on the input of the siphon and I got a lot of oxygen. The next time I put it on the output side and left plenty of slack on it and had no issues. I gave it a good long soak in one step first which not only sanitized but also minimized the amount of oxygen it introduced.

As an update to my huge amount of hop sludge on the top of my secondary, after a few days getting it as cold as I can in my Cool Fermenting bag (59 degrees) it all sunk. There's still a normal amount of floaties on the top.
As of now, on Friday, I plan to use a hop sack but be very careful about siphoning. I do expect to loose some beer but that's ok. Then I'll let it sit for a week then in the kegerator and after it's there for a few days, I'll pull off as much as I can while it continues to settle out.

Paul...that's good news that it all sunk for you. I would imagine a real cold crash in the fridge would drop just about all of it to the bottom.

You shouldn't have any problems using the hopsack while siphoning...just do it how Roger and I do it and you should be golden!!!

There's like 2 1/2" of hop funk on the bottom. I wish it were like yeast and I could harvest the hops and use again later. :lol: 8.75 oz would go a long way!

I thought I saw you guys talking about that a while back; did I dream this?

You do the hop stand and are only getting the oils out and then reuse the hops for bittering because the resins never got touched.

I know I saw this somewhere...

DooDooDooDoo :blink:

I kegged the Maharaja this morning and likely lost 3/4 of a gallon to hop funk, maybe more.
The bag on the end did get a lot of hop residue and the zip tie (thanks Chris) held the heavy bag on just fine.

Wouldn't it be nice if I could wash this stuff and use it again?

[attachment=14375]gunkSmall.JPG[/attachment]

Very Nice....glad you were able to keep all that gunk out of the keg. After this info....looks like I'm gonna dry hop my Pliny recipe commando and use the same process.

I dropped the last hop addition in my Pliny last night and set the STC-1000 to 7*c, I'll keg it next Wednesday.

I dry hopped my Belgian pale ale yesterday, commando. Just opened the lid of the LBK, threw em in quickly (expecting a lot of foaming but none was to be had, whew!) and closed the lid back up.