Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tomtravelino

Future batches

I have my next 5 planned up as of right now. Just need to get the ingredients and have 25 hour days or 8 day weeks to get it done.

Does anyone else plan this far ahead? How far in advance do you plan?

Kind of the same thing as JimH's thread for us. We can drive to our LHBS but it is "a trip to town" so we plan about four or five at a time for shopping.

For the folks that have to pay high shipping costs they have another variable to deal with.

Depending on how many fermenters you have also makes a difference. So if I buy five recipe ingredients but I have 5 LBKs and 4 coolers it is going to be different than if I buy five but can only rotate one or two fermenters at a time.

And as you say you also have to have the hours/days available to you to actually brew them.

I'm sure you have seen that many on our :borg: have an established brewing schedule that works around THAT other part of their lives. :P

I plan two ahead for buying ingredients. I have HMEs on the shelf from last fall because they were on clearance or 50% off coupons.

I do much the same as RickBeer. Plan two ahead so it reduces the 35 minute drive (one way) to the LHBS.

I have no LHBS so I have to buy all my ingredients on line and pay the additional shipping cost so I only plan ahead 1 batch. But it works out perty well sence I brew two times a month.

I work from home so the drive to the LHBS is a nice escape so I just go there as I need to, I only plan 1 or two batches at a time.

I'll plan batches as far ahead as the bulk DME holds out then when I'm out take a brew break until the pipeline dwindles a bit.

I have my next 10 batches of HME. I have a lot of hops and DME in storage so I just QBrew and decide what I need and then pul the ingredients the night before brew day.

I start thinking about my next batch as soon as I finish brewing the previous one.

I have 4 LBKs and brew 5 gallon batches. So if I have all four LBKs going, I have 2 different beers fermenting and I am at full capacity for at least 3 weeks. So, I'd say I brew about 10 gallons a month. And I don't drink or give away 10 gallons a month, so I have no reason to brew more often.

I have one more recipe to brew, with ingredients in hand. I'll do that either tomorrow or Monday. And then I will start planning my next two brews, knowing that they can happen in 3 weeks if I really need to, but will more likely happen in 5.

When I really hit my stride, I'm brewing every weekend, so that keeps me on my toes. Since two-thirds of my batches are Mr. Beer recipes, I kind of have to plan pretty far in advance, since my Homebrew Club order ships every other month.

For the AG batches, it's usually one or two batches ahead.

I am an oddity here in that I only have one LBK and my brew club order ships every three months. So when I plan it's usually at least three batches. It used to be more before MrB switched over to Coopers. Last fall when they were clearing out the old HME's I bought enough to make about 10 batches so I'm good for awhile.

T4G

I usually have 80 to 100lbs of grain on hand, as well as a few pounds of hops, and several packets of yeast. I pretty much brew whatever I am in the mood to brew at the time. Or sometimes I try a really good beer and go home and try to make something similar to it. I have gotten fairly good at cloning on taste alone.

I'm very "type-A" in general, and I guess that applies to my brewing, as well.

I brew about once every 4 weeks. I've got my next 6 batches planned out, taking me into January. :blush:

So, doing the math, it's July now and I already know what I'll be drinking next March!

There's so many new/different things I want to try, plus so many past "successes" that I want to brew again to have on hand, that my schedule fills up very quickly.

It works for me, though. I've been at this hobby for 2.5 years and still enjoy trying new techniques & recipes, as well as brewing old favorites.

As for buying ingredients, I'm usually 1 or 2 batches ahead at any given point in time, but with grains, I usually try to get them as close to brew day as possible.