Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RaleighBrewer

Brewing with 3.5 lb Munton's in 1 LBK?

I currently have just 1 LBK and stopped by a local home brewing store this afternoon, where I picked up a 3.5 lb can of Munton's Cerveza HME. Since these are 3.5 lbs and intended for 5-6 gal brews, I see many posts where people split it into 2 LBK's. Has anyone tried brewing a 3.5 lb Munton's HME in just 1 LBK? If so, do I need to add anything else to the batch? (I see the Munton's calls for sugar when making the larger batch, but is that needed in the case of doing it in just the 1 LBK?).

Many Mr. Beer recipes call for 2 cans of standard MB HMEs, which would seem to be about the same amount as a single can of Munton's. However, I am relatively new to this and wasn't sure if their HME is similar in content and ingredients to a MRB HME.

Lastly, does anyone know the approx. ABV when using of a 3.5 lb Munton's HME?

Thanks!

I haven't done this, but I would recommend that you not add additional sugar. That'll be too much for the LBK. Just the HME will be fine.

One thing to keep in mind, these HMEs are designed for 5-gallon brews, so the IBUs will be much higher in a LBK-sized batch. The Cerveza HME will not have a high IBU, so the end result should be drinkable, but it will be more bitter than is typical for the style.

I have used a single 3.75lb can of Coopers Canadian Blonde in an LBK-sized batch, but it's still conditioning so I can't comment on how it turned out and whether or not it is actually drinkable yet. I'm expecting it to be somewhat like an IPA in terms of it's bitterness, but I'm not sure if it'll actually turn out that way (the hydro sample didn't take too bitter, but that's not always a reliable indicator of what the final product will taste like).

I haven't done this, but I would recommend that you not add additional sugar. That'll be too much for the LBK. Just the HME will be fine.

One thing to keep in mind, these HMEs are designed for 5-gallon brews, so the IBUs will be much higher in a LBK-sized batch. The Cerveza HME will not have a high IBU, so the end result should be drinkable, but it will be more bitter than is typical for the style.

I have used a single 3.75lb can of Coopers Canadian Blonde in an LBK-sized batch, but it's still conditioning so I can't comment on how it turned out and whether or not it is actually drinkable yet. I'm expecting it to be somewhat like an IPA in terms of its bitterness, but I'm not sure if it'll actually turn out that way (the hydro sample didn't take too bitter, but that's not always a reliable indicator of what the final product will taste like).

Dont add sugar.
Straight up that will give you about 5.1 or so
abv qt 2.12 gal

Thanks for the feedback! I have a separate LME (they told me it was un-hopped, but then the same person also admitted he just started working there and wasn't sure about some things...!) that I purchased from the LHBS as well - given that the HME won't require more sugar, I guess you would recommend that I save the LME for another time and just brew with the HME only?

Use 1/2 the can, add 1.5 lbs of LME. Put light layer of vodka in HME, cover, refrigerate.

Many discussions on the forum regarding this.

"asnider" post=387846 said:

I have used a single 3.75lb can of Coopers Canadian Blonde in an LBK-sized batch, but it's still conditioning so I can't comment on how it turned out and whether or not it is actually drinkable yet. I'm expecting it to be somewhat like an IPA in terms of it's bitterness, but I'm not sure if it'll actually turn out that way (the hydro sample didn't take too bitter, but that's not always a reliable indicator of what the final product will taste like).

If you don't mind let us how that blonde turn's out.

"bcltoys" post=388032 said:

If you don't mind let us how that blonde turn's out.

Absolutely. It should be done conditioning in another 2 or 3 weeks, so I'll be sure to post an update.

"RickBeer" post=387858 said:

Use 1/2 the can, add 1.5 lbs of LME. Put light layer of vodka in HME, cover, refrigerate.

Many discussions on the forum regarding this.

+1 this way you get the 5 gallons you paid for