Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mashani

Dampftbier

Had a yeast cake from a light wheat beer (WB-06), and was looking for something to pitch on some of it. Ran across this article at the German beer institute:

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Dampfbier.html

Hmmmm... all barley beer made with whatever roughly kilned malts they had on hand and yeast bummed from a fancy wheat beer factory? Yep, I can do that.

I had some Munich and Vienna here, and plenty of pilsner dme, so this is what I did:

2.4 gallon LBK batch:

Oven mash of 1# 20L Munich and 1/2# Vienna in my 16Q pot.
Added 1.5# Pilsner DME
Full volume boil
1/2oz of some of my older 4.2%AA Hallertauar @60 (likely are closer to 4% aa)

1.045, around 14 IBUs or so I'd guess. SRM 11ish.

Pitched on 1/3rd of the yeast cake.

WB-06 makes some decent banana around 78, so I'm going to let it get that hot if it wants to.

Will it be good? No clue. Never had one. But I have made all barley pseudo-Belgians with wheat yeast and liked them, so I don't see why I'd not like it.

I was thinking for anyone who wants to try this with Mr. Beer ingredients, it should be quite easy.

Order a Wheat and an Oktoberfest and a pack of pale lme. Make an American wheat beer out of the wheat using the yeast from the Oktoberfest and tossing in a pack of cascade or something. Use the Oktoberfest can and the wheat yeast for this instead and add the pale LME. Alternately you could try the smooth LME, which might simulate some kettle carmalization better. If you do it to the standard 8.5Q mark that should get you around 1.040, which is just fine I think. Only issue is it might be a couple of IBUs more bitter then it should be. My understanding is that even what I did might be a few points too bitter believe it or not, but that won't bug me.

So now you're coming up with obscure German names for your frankenbeers? ;) Sounds interesting, although I'm not a fan of WB-06. But you can't go wrong with some Munich and Vienna. Keep us posted!

"russki" post=387966 said:

So now you're coming up with obscure German names for your frankenbeers? ;) Sounds interesting, although I'm not a fan of WB-06. But you can't go wrong with some Munich and Vienna. Keep us posted!

Did you ever ferment with it above recommended specs? It makes more of the banana/fruit esters if you can get it to 78ish temps, instead of trying to keep it cooler. Most of the Micros who use it (yeah some do) will lock their temp controlled fermenters at 78, that gives it a more full wheat beer profile.

I'd have probably used a more banana/bubblegum forward yeast but I went with what I had. My temps are high here still, so maintaining 78 is not a problem. Trying to keep it cooler for other yeasts would be a problem for me right now. If this tastes good I'll do it again in the fall/winter with a different yeast.

Looks good!

Been seeing a number of references to this style lately...

Interesting concept, steamTM ale vs steamTM lager.

I have ancestors who lived and long lost relatives of some sort who still live in the region this beer style comes from. So, genetically I should enjoy this beer?

"mashani" post=388184 said:

I have ancestors who lived and long lost relatives of some sort who still live in the region this beer style comes from. So, genetically I should enjoy this beer?

The double helix has room for many beers young Skywalker...

May the forced carb be with you!