Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ruidosobruce

Mystery of the White Film

I have been using Oxiclean successfully for months to clean bottles, LBK, everything. But I kept reading in the forums about people having a problem with it leaving a white film on their bottles that was hard to remove. I never experienced that. Until a few days ago when I soaked my bottles in Oxiclean for a few hours and they came out with the dreaded white film. I couldn't understand it. Nothing was different. I used the same amount as always. But... I have discovered that my water softener had run out of salt and quit softening. So, HARD WATER = WHITE FILM. Mystery solved.

"Jim Johnson" post=387963 said:

what you got to clean 'em with CLR? :unsure:

StarSan works just fine for removing the white film.

I gave up trying to clean them with the bottle brush. If the dreaded white film is on mine I use 2 scoops of a sand and fine gravel mix with diluted CLR, put on a reusable bottle stopper and shake, shake, shake.

After they sit on the bottle tree for about an hour any that still hold water vapor inside get re-cleaned.

If water vapor finds something to cling to so will bugs. :cheers:

My bottle cleaning begins as soon as I pour the beer out; I empty the bottle of any bottle trub, pour in about a third of a bottle of scalding hot water, shake. pour out water, cool off thumb that I used as a stopper and repeat two more times. Bottle is so hot I can barely hang on to it. I then set it in a six-pack holder to dry off - which it does rapidly due to it's temperature. At bottling time all the bottles I'm going to use get another washing with scalding hot water using a bottle washer. Hung on a bottle tree to dry and then washed with a dose of One Step through the Vinanator and, again, hung on the bottle tree until needed.

"Chuck N ™" post=388029 said:

My bottle cleaning begins as soon as I pour the beer out; I empty the bottle of any bottle trub, pour in about a third of a bottle of scalding hot water, shake. pour out water, cool off thumb that I used as a stopper and repeat two more times. Bottle is so hot I can barely hang on to it. I then set it in a six-pack holder to dry off - which it does rapidly due to it's temperature. At bottling time all the bottles I'm going to use get another washing with scalding hot water using a bottle washer. Hung on a bottle tree to dry and then washed with a dose of One Step through the Vinanator and, again, hung on the bottle tree until needed.

+1 But I use:

A 24 count case instead of a six pack holder or bottle tree
and
Star San usually, switching to One-Step on occasion to keep the baddies on the run...

:)

Jim, I did use dilute CLR to clean up the white film. But now that I understand what happened, I hope to have no more problems. By the way, Oxiclean dissolved in hard water gives plenty of warning. The normally clear solution looks more like skim milk. My bad. I should have noticed.

"ruidosobruce" post=388109 said:

Jim, I did use dilute CLR to clean up the white film. But now that I understand what happened, I hope to have no more problems. By the way, Oxiclean dissolved in hard water gives plenty of warning. The normally clear solution looks more like skim milk. My bad. I should have noticed.

well mine ain't quite so bad only a white haze

It also depends on how long you let the oxiclean sit for. Overnight will usually result in the white film, just a couple of hours no film.