Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
8teen

How long is too long for fermenting

No one has tested limits to see when a batch goes bad. We've seen people post 4 weeks, 5 weeks, a few longer.

3 weeks is recommended.

I have heard of people fermenting up to 6 to 8 weeks but that is when the beer is transferred to a secondary fermentator. I would think that if your going to use a long frematation cycle you should use a secondary I have been told that if the wort sits in the turb cake to long it will give off flavors to the beer.

This post meanders but does get back into the Thread Topic.

I'm a slacker. I brewed a batch on May 27th. Yesterday I went to get something from the brew closet and unfortunately I noticed a small leak. Luckily none of the things in the closet got ruined, except for one.

I took the LBK out to put it in the sink until I bottle today. This morning I looked at it because I had to use the sink for cooking breakfast. The LBK dripping was worse, I looked at the spout and it was flexing away. I touched the spout and it fell off. The whole batch dumped in the sink. Luckily it was in the sink.

Back to the thread topic. This batch of Bewitched Amber Ale that sat in the LBK for just shy of two months smelled great. I don't know how it would taste, but the smell was great. So I say 2 months is not too long.

It's pretty easy to know when it's time to do things like bottle. If you use any calendar - paper, Google, etc. put it on your calendar.

I have a separate Google calendar called BEER. I put on there all beer events - when I brew, then three weeks later time to bottle (with a reminder the day before and day of), then 4 weeks later that it's in the bottle 4 weeks, then in bottle at 6, 8, 10, and 12. Quite easy to setup, then you don't forget.

If you're going to spend good money brewing, letting it sit in the LBK for several months threatens your results.

Yes, RDWHAHB, but this like any hobby requires you to be organized.

Thanks.....not having trouble keep track of things yet. I was just wondering if 3 weeks was the max or 4 weeks or 5 weeks......which is not going to affect the final product. I want to brew but with vacation at 3 and 4 weeks I won't be able to bottle.

most ales try to transfer by 21 days. Secondary fementations are varied and can go on for months till final gravity is reached