Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JLScar

21 days of Fermenting

After 3 weeks of fermenting the Czech Pilsner ... I have moved into the fridge to cold crash. I plan on bottling Monday night. What should the LBK look like on the inside?

I am being patient but I am looking for some signs of what I have in there.

Just for clarification, the bottles should initially be placed at room temperature in the dark. After 2 weeks, I move them into the fridge. Is that right or is it full 4 weeks at room temp?

The bottles should be kept at room temp for four weeks after that put one in the fridge let it cool for a few days then give it a try. If it tast good to you then put them all in the fridge and drink on. The best way to get the pipe line going is to keep the LBK full

Yes ... I think I am going to make a Blonde Ale this time. I have my temperature controller arriving on Thursday and should have the fermentation chamber ready next weekend for the LBK. One time was enough with rotating frozen bottles.

#1 suggestion...if you have a small shot glass or even if you don't...when you're ready to bottle do one...maybe 1 1/2 small quick squirts...this should clear out any trub around the spigot.

At that time you're ready to bottle.

Make sure your bottles are cleaned and sanitized. The beer should be clear...although there might be some chill haze. That will clear...so no worry. You should have very nice golden color.

From my experience...what I do is take it out of the fridge early in the morning and give it a few hours to warm a little (this depends on if you're taking a FG reading). If you are going to take a FG reading...I'd suggest doing it after about 8 of the 12 oz glass bottles or 2 or 3 of the 1L bottles. I always think this is the most optimal FG reading you'll get. FG should be measured around 68-72 degrees or whatever temp you're conditioning at.

When I cold crash, I immediately bottle after removing it from the refrigerator. This keeps the trub solidified and it moves SLOW, so you can tilt the LBK to get the last drops out of it without trub. I batch prime, so I transfer to my slimiline.

Warming it, IMHO, defeats the purpose as things start to loosen up. I take my FG reading before I put it in the frig (along with tasting the sample). However, you can do the reading at the end either by letting it sit in the tube for a few hours and warm, or by adjusting the reading based on the temperature. Keep in mind that temperature reading adjustments aren't huge. For example, if you get a reading of 1.020 at 70 that reading would be adjusted to 1.021. At 40 that would be adjusted to 1.019. This is for a hydrometer set to 60 degrees, many are.

If you use Screwy's calculator at www.screwybrewer.com, the adjustment is done for you. A beer with an OG of 1.048 and an FG 0f 1.010 at 60 is 5.1% ABV. If that second reading is done at 40 the ABV changes to 5.2%. I'd argue that a point either way is irrelevant to 95% of us, perhaps 99% of us.